Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2013, 10:46 PM

23 posts, read 41,231 times

Advertisements

So my adventure with buying a house in Princeton has been unsuccessful and I think I may be ready to bail. After my first two offers were met with "we want full price" and the third turned into a losing bidding war, I think I may venture outside of Princeton into West Windsor. My broker suggested I buy a simple townhouse, live there for a year or so, but keep trying to buy a place to Princeton. If successful, he says that renting the townhouse would be easy.

I was wondering:
- if you know anything about these complexes - any issues, what is the community like, HOA issues, and etc? It's just me and my dogs.
- would it be as easy as my broker is making it seem... to rent out a 2 bedroom townhouse?

I'm currently commuting to Trenton from NYC and the long commute is taking its toll on me. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 10:25 AM

3,026 posts, read 9,053,778 times
Windsor Ponds is the newer of the two communities.

Haven't heard any complaints about the HOAs, the fee at Windsor Ponds is 270/mth, Windsor Haven is 250/mth.

Windsor Ponds has a pool, Windsor Haven does not. Currently, Realtor.com shows one 2/2 for rent in Windsor Haven for 2500/mth. There is one 2/2 1/2 in Windsor Ponds for 2350/mth.

My guess would be that Windsor Haven would be an easy rental due to its' proximity to the Station (walkable) and the lack of parking permits available. But that's just my guess.
There are also very few townhome rentals in West Windsor.

Old 07-14-2013, 01:40 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,808,345 times
If you want to rent, try Princeton Terrace on Clarksville Road. They are brand new to newer 3b2.5ba townhouses with garage.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:22 PM

289 posts, read 608,308 times
"My broker suggested I buy a simple townhouse, live there for a year or so, but keep trying to buy a place to Princeton. If successful, he says that renting the townhouse would be easy. "

This broker is my hero! Instead of selling one house, now he will get to sell 2 houses plus make commission on finding you tenants every few years.

Have you run the numbers for renting West Windsor townhouses....I doubt you will barely break even after factoring in vacancy rate, maintenance etc. Remember, when moving out of the town home to buy a house in Princeton, the mortgage company might ask you to qualify your income for both the mortgages (town home + new Princeton home).

Old 07-16-2013, 04:49 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carissa13 View Post
So my adventure with buying a house in Princeton has been unsuccessful and I think I may be ready to bail. After my first two offers were met with "we want full price" and the third turned into a losing bidding war,
I'm surprised that Princeton is a seller's market with bidding wars. I attended an open house there this weekend and saw a lot of "for sale" signs. Also searched in the CH Sotheby's website and found many people listing. Inventory seems to be good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey