Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 10:17 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,064,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyStarksNJ View Post
Great post.

If you read this board daily, you'd think the only towns worth living in this state are Ridgewood, Glen Rock, Summit, Millburn, West Windsor, and East Brunswick.
Seriously. There is life outside these towns. And gasp, families even manage to raise successful, happy children in other towns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 10:25 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann77 View Post
Seriously. There is life outside these towns. And gasp, families even manage to raise successful, happy children in other towns.
Of course there is. But most people aren't going to want to pay property taxes that are in line with surrounding towns that have better ranked schools. I know I wouldn't.

Old 03-13-2011, 10:57 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,064,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Of course there is. But most people aren't going to want to pay property taxes that are in line with surrounding towns that have better ranked schools. I know I wouldn't.
Well, it depends. First up, the price of houses could be vastly different, so it could still end up being cheaper, even if the taxes are the same. And many families are just going to be priced out of some of the aforementioned towns entirely, so it becomes a moot point. It doesn't mean their life is over and their kids are going to become hobos.

Old 03-13-2011, 11:22 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,936,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taliana View Post
LIAMNWK-

My husband is a successful lawyer...my neighbor is a lawyer and I have a doctorate. WE LIVE IN EAST WINDSOR! Not every white collar person wants to live in West Windsor!!!!!!!!!!!....Have you ever read the book "The Millionare next door" or the book, "Stop acting rich and start living like a REAL Millionare"? My husband and I follow those values and beliefs, which are to live within our means and to live in a middleclass neighborhood so we will have a net worth a 1 million plus when we retire....WE are VERY confident our children will be successful in any scool district because of the parents and support, values and beliefs we instill in them. East Windsor has a varied socio-economic population...white collar/blue collar. Many people struggle to get a slice of a wealthy town and have no savings in the end...We don't think it is worth it.
Honestly if you are only talking $1 million plus to retire on, your husband ain't that successful. Just sayin.

Old 03-15-2011, 05:44 PM

431 posts, read 942,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taliana View Post
LIAMNWK-

My husband is a successful lawyer...my neighbor is a lawyer and I have a doctorate. WE LIVE IN EAST WINDSOR! Not every white collar person wants to live in West Windsor!!!!!!!!!!!....Have you ever read the book "The Millionare next door" or the book, "Stop acting rich and start living like a REAL Millionare"? My husband and I follow those values and beliefs, which are to live within our means and to live in a middleclass neighborhood so we will have a net worth a 1 million plus when we retire....WE are VERY confident our children will be successful in any scool district because of the parents and support, values and beliefs we instill in them. East Windsor has a varied socio-economic population...white collar/blue collar. Many people struggle to get a slice of a wealthy town and have no savings in the end...We don't think it is worth it.
Have fun when your kids gets jumped in school... "scool" ?

Old 03-15-2011, 05:50 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Maybe the WW schools aren't that good. This thread was 2 years old.

make that 4.

Old 03-15-2011, 05:52 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrero View Post
Honestly if you are only talking $1 million plus to retire on, your husband ain't that successful. Just sayin.
especially being a lawyer, lol.

Old 03-15-2011, 05:56 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,462,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liamnwk View Post
Have fun when your kids gets jumped in school... "scool" ?
Glass houses, baby...

And I guess all of the other people in those horrible GH District Factor Group towns need to get out ASAP. After all, districts like Cherry Hill, Paramus, Wayne, and East Hanover have kids jumped in their schools every day. And none of these towns have any wealthy people living within their boundaries, right?

Old 03-15-2011, 06:33 PM

133 posts, read 502,770 times
LIAMNWK-
Seriously???? Do you really think I don't know how to spell the word school? I was typing very fast. I guess you have to make a cheap shot at me since you don't have a leg to stand on.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:51 PM

133 posts, read 502,770 times
Tahiti and Obrero- If you didn't get the point I was trying to make...well, so be it.... I meant..1, 2, 3, 4 Million plus.(God willling) My husband and I live by what we call "Extreme Opposition" by leading a High Income/ Low Consumption lifestyle instead of High Income/High Consumption lifestyle. We know that it is extremely difficult even being a Doctor, Lawyer etc in New Jersey to save money AND have a high net worth due to the extreme high cost of living. High income people are automatically"expected" to live in expensive towns...keep up with their neighbors etc...and studies have shown the top 2 professions that have the worst history of saving money are Physicians and Attorneys.You don't know what goes on behind closed doors but I can guarantee you that the "Ultra Rich" you THINK are living in West Windsor 1/2 of them don't have a high net worth and might be living from paycheck to paycheck...They have high dept because THEY are trying to keep up with the other Jones's. ...but I am getting off topic here.......My point is: Not everyone wants to live in a toney neighborhood just because they have "white collar jobs" and not everyone in a middle class neighborhood have "blue collar jobs and are struggling".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey