Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2023, 02:53 PM

4,031 posts, read 3,646,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Here is the report from Ocean Wind I, paid for (passthrough our tax dollars) by Orsted on how they kill whales and dolphins. 509 pages of reading material to become an expert! Also, Murphy claims he doesn't know anything about it, but this report was given to him. Scandal has already formed.

https://media.fisheries.noaa.gov/202...ChwQDc4GMUrxug
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJWestWoods View Post
According to Orsted, during the survey phase, (happening now) the sonar survey's can make them temporarily deaf or permanently deaf depending on exposure. During the construction phase continued exposure to underwater noise has the same result.

Orsted admits they can't control how much exposure a whale or dolphin may be subjected to. They expect many will be harmed and killed and have been granted permission to do so.

It doesn't take much to imagine a deafened and disoriented whale or dolphin fleeing into a shipping lane or running up onto the beach to escape the sonar and becoming stranded.

There are about a dozen Orsted contracted ships conducting sonar surveys in NJ waters.

You can read the details in Orsted's filings. It's linked to on this thread. It's one of the big ugly truths of wind development. Dead whales and dolphins.

What page is that on?

I certainly didn’t read 509 pages, but the section I found relevant to this discussion (section 10, page 123 “Anticipated Effects of Habitat Impacts on Marine Mammals”) says they anticipate minimal short-term and long-term impacts to marine mammals. They say studies have found seals foraging near wind farms so it could actually be a benefit. But since you’re citing this as a source that supports your argument, please point to the pages that say otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2023, 04:00 PM

50,832 posts, read 36,538,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
Why is that so concerning? A couple dozen whales and dolphins turn up dead in an ocean that I assume has hundreds of thousands if not millions of them. How much marine life do we kill daily intentionally on a daily basis for consumption? I know it sounds like I’m being facetious here but I’m genuinely curious what fuss is all about.
That’s a good point. Thousands of dolphins still die in fishing nets but I don’t see anyone boycotting seafood companies. Cause there’s no political agenda attached to it. I don’t think the outrage by everyone here is actually about the animals as much as it’s about the politics.

“It is estimated that over 300,000 small whales, dolphins, and porpoises die from entanglement in fishing nets each year, making this the single largest cause of mortality for small cetaceans.

https://www.worldwildlife.org/threats/bycatch

Old 04-04-2023, 06:24 PM

15,448 posts, read 7,511,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
The numbers are released by Orsted. Just for the first 98 wind turbines, they expect to kill off/harass 17.97% of the entire North Atlantic Right Whale Population in the first 5 years. Its also supposed to kill off 1,310 common bottle nose dolphins or 19.94% of the population. 5,030 offshore bottle nose dolphins or 8% the population.

Theres a long list whales, dolphins, porpoises, seals species their estimated populations that are going to be considered "takes". The list has been published a handful of times in this thread, and people are still in denial. The report on the takes were published by Orsted the company building the project.
Orsted doesn't plan to kill any animals. The statement on take is the potential number of creatures. The numbers could be far lower or slightly higher.

Old 04-04-2023, 06:27 PM

15,448 posts, read 7,511,039 times
Quote:
According to Orsted, during the survey phase, (happening now) the sonar survey's can make them temporarily deaf or permanently deaf depending on exposure. During the construction phase continued exposure to underwater noise has the same result.

Orsted admits they can't control how much exposure a whale or dolphin may be subjected to. They expect many will be harmed and killed and have been granted permission to do so.

It doesn't take much to imagine a deafened and disoriented whale or dolphin fleeing into a shipping lane or running up onto the beach to escape the sonar and becoming stranded.

There are about a dozen Orsted contracted ships conducting sonar surveys in NJ waters.

You can read the details in Orsted's filings. It's linked to on this thread. It's one of the big ugly truths of wind development. Dead whales and dolphins.
So what? Who cares? Commercial fishermen kill far more than any wind project. Any development has impacts. You could build a gas fired power plant that kills children with asthma and breathing problems. Nuclear plants have problems. Coal has huge problems.

Old 04-04-2023, 11:10 PM

10,496 posts, read 7,019,483 times
Quote:
What page is that on?

I certainly didn’t read 509 pages, but the section I found relevant to this discussion (section 10, page 123 “Anticipated Effects of Habitat Impacts on Marine Mammals”) says they anticipate minimal short-term and long-term impacts to marine mammals. They say studies have found seals foraging near wind farms so it could actually be a benefit. But since you’re citing this as a source that supports your argument, please point to the pages that say otherwise.
Turn to Table 6-23 on page 116. It has the takes and estimates "take" counts. Wiping out significant parts of the population. Also just remember this report is for a very small portion of the project. Remember its been notified that they will likely kill off 18% of a whale population and 20% of a dolphin species for the very first part of the project, now what about the rest.

I highly recommend anyone eho wants full knowledge of the subject with maps and everything join the facebook group "Protect our Shore" and "Save the Dolphins and Whales NJ" theres a super wealth of knowledge.

I have the entire map of the first phase and where the windmills will be placed, its horrifying.

Old 04-05-2023, 07:58 AM

158 posts, read 121,763 times
Quote:
What page is that on?

Orsted's 500 page Application for Marine Mammal Protection Act request for Incidental Takes for Ocean Wind 1. Start reading on page 36 for auditory impacts on marine mammals.

You can read Orsted's 81 page application for Non Lethal Incidental Takes here. Despite using the words non lethal in the title, the document includes acknowledgements that they can't really account for species behavioral response to development work. Level A harassment is unexpected but may happen, and Level B harassment will happen and may result in more accumulated harm than expected.

It's 81 pages describing how their wind development work probably will, may, or may not, but they really don't know, and can't say for sure, harm marine mammals. Just assumptions.

Temporary threshold shift (TTS) and Permanent threshold shift (PTS) are the euphemisms Orsted uses to describe the hearing damage, auditory injury, their work exposes marine mammals to.

The application's reasoning is based on estimates that are themselves based on estimates, based on models that are based on estimates.

These documents were produced by the wind developer and reflect a best case scenario. By their reasoning if they are not impacting a species enough to wipe it out, the harm they incur is okay. The feds agree.

Old 04-05-2023, 08:17 AM

158 posts, read 121,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
That’s a good point. Thousands of dolphins still die in fishing nets but I don’t see anyone boycotting seafood companies. Cause there’s no political agenda attached to it. I don’t think the outrage by everyone here is actually about the animals as much as it’s about the politics.

“It is estimated that over 300,000 small whales, dolphins, and porpoises die from entanglement in fishing nets each year, making this the single largest cause of mortality for small cetaceans.

https://www.worldwildlife.org/threats/bycatch

What political agenda do you see as attached to opposition to wind turbines?

My opposition to the industrialization of the Atlantic East Coast comes from a life long love of the beach, ocean and marine mammals and wanting to preserve it the way it is. I would be fiercely opposed to this no matter which political party was in control.

I don't see the sense in permanently altering the marine environment to support wind development that won't deliver much power. It's not a good trade off.

I agree with you about the by catch issue. It's a total crime against the marine environment and does not get enough attention.

Old 04-05-2023, 08:26 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,678,119 times
Quote:

"Sonar", the same sonar the Navy and other Shipping has been using for decades? This all sounds made up BS. I'm asking how a wind turbine while just standing in the Ocean will kill all those Whales and Dolphins? You're saying they're going deaf and how is that verified?

Old 04-05-2023, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Orsted's 500 page Application for Marine Mammal Protection Act request for Incidental Takes for Ocean Wind 1. Start reading on page 36 for auditory impacts on marine mammals.

You can read Orsted's 81 page application for Non Lethal Incidental Takes here. Despite using the words non lethal in the title, the document includes acknowledgements that they can't really account for species behavioral response to development work. Level A harassment is unexpected but may happen, and Level B harassment will happen and may result in more accumulated harm than expected.

It's 81 pages describing how their wind development work probably will, may, or may not, but they really don't know, and can't say for sure, harm marine mammals. Just assumptions.

Temporary threshold shift (TTS) and Permanent threshold shift (PTS) are the euphemisms Orsted uses to describe the hearing damage, auditory injury, their work exposes marine mammals to.

The application's reasoning is based on estimates that are themselves based on estimates, based on models that are based on estimates.

These documents were produced by the wind developer and reflect a best case scenario. By their reasoning if they are not impacting a species enough to wipe it out, the harm they incur is okay. The feds agree.

Thank you. 500 pages has to be Guinness world record for longest “I don’t know”

Old 04-05-2023, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
"Sonar", the same sonar the Navy and other Shipping has been using for decades? This all sounds made up BS. I'm asking how a wind turbine while just standing in the Ocean will kill all those Whales and Dolphins? You're saying they're going deaf and how is that verified?

The noise produced from both the construction of the wind turbines and operating the turbines is what they’re saying has an impact. I don’t think that part is even debated. The question is what the extent of the impact is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey