Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 08:19 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,836,073 times

Advertisements

I started to title this "Low End Restaurants", as an addendum to baylovers' earlier posting, but thought better of it. As baylovers pointed out, we have some excellent top-shelf restaurants in this area, but we also have a number of very good moderately-priced restaurants that do not get nearly the press they deserve.

One of our favorites is Aunny's Country Kitchen, a relatively new place in Georgetown. I've seen Aunny's referred to as a soul-food restaurant, but IMO it's much closer to good old down-home cooking. Their bbq chicken and spare ribs are some of the best I've ever eaten, hard-earned praise from an old Southern boy who takes his bbq seriously. We also find ourselves eating often at Quigley's. They have a wide range of menu choices at reasonable prices, the folks are friendly, and the atmosphere is casual and fun. It's also the only(?) microbrewery in this area, and their beer choices are excellent. IMO, it's one of the few places around that has a "locals" feel to it. I second baylovers' recommendation on Pasteria 811. All winter, most of their lunch items have been $4.95 including salad, which has been absolutely the best deal around. If that pricing is not already gone, I'm sure it will be soon.

On the seafood side, Russell's in MI is hard to beat for simple, very fresh seafood. It's not complex preparation, but Russell has been around forever and it's excellent seafood in a laid-back casual atmosphere. Finally, there's Prosser's in MI, the ONLY buffet I'll go to. You can rate their food by the number of local pickup trucks in the parking lot at lunch time. If you haven't been to Prosser's, you're just not paying attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 09:10 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,677,944 times
Tried to rep you, PD!

Old 03-01-2010, 07:25 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,031 posts, read 6,555,683 times
Are "Russell's" and "Prosser's" along restruant row in MI?

Old 03-01-2010, 07:46 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,881,808 times
Yes they are Tom but on the "dry side" or the west side of the street.

Good post PD, we went to Quigley's for the Oyster Roast on Sunday. Had a good time. They had a $10 Tuesday deal that was pretty good, not sure if it's still available.

Where is Aunny's? Front Street? I will have to check that out next time I am down in Gtown.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:57 AM

343 posts, read 727,268 times
Try La Playa on 17 in Pawleys. Best Mexican/Cuban on the Strand, and not expensive.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baylovers View Post
Where is Aunny's? Front Street? I will have to check that out next time I am down in Gtown....
Yeah, on Front Street, same side as Rice Paddy, but a little further down toward the Steel Mill. Maybe across the street from the Kaminski Museum (might be wrong name). Orobosa operated a restaurant in the same location for a brief time after he left PI and before going to NC. IMO, it's worth checking out. Spare ribs on Weds, BBQ chicken on Thurs.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:42 AM

1,019 posts, read 2,895,628 times
Thanks for the info PD. I read Baylovers post for "high end restaurants" and look forward to maybe trying them in the future but with two small kids, not to mention a wallet that is lighter than it use to be, we are looking for "low end restaurants" (your words not mine lol) at this point.

Old 03-02-2010, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neecewh View Post
not to mention a wallet that is lighter than it use to be...
Tell me about it... I definitely know the feeling.

baylovers is dead-on with his list. The ones we've tried have been excellent, but they fall on our "special occasion" list, and I tend to get awfully hungry in between special occasions. Just keep in mind that you're not likely to find many health food restaurants on my list. It's a constant source of discussion between the Dr. and me...

Old 03-05-2010, 01:57 PM

540 posts, read 1,680,661 times
PD, is Pasteria 811 in Pawleys? Heading to PI tomorrow if I'm well enough to travel. Talking about health food, I really wish we had a Whole Foods closer to us than going to Charleston I love that area, but it's too damn far for weekly shopping.

Old 03-06-2010, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pburgess68 View Post
PD, is Pasteria 811 in Pawleys?
If you're coming down from MB, it's on your right, just as you begin to enter PI, but it's not visible from Hwy 17. It's located in the back of Litchfield Exchange, the building fronted by Applewood House of Pancakes, next door to the Bi-Lo shopping center. Easiest way is to drive around Applewood, to the back of the bldg, and enter thru the back door of the Exchange. Pasteria 811 is on your right, just as you enter. They don't do much advertising, and not much sign presence out front, but it's worth the effort to find them. Hope you enjoy!

When things were still booming, either Whole Foods or Fresh Market had an option on some land in PI, but never heard any more about it. I suspect the economy got in the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area