Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 12:03 PM

207 posts, read 1,004,028 times

Advertisements

We also visited the park in early June. We love theme parks and visit Disney/Orlando each year. We were so disappointed by the HRP.

It started at arrival...we got there at 9:45....the park opened at 10:10 because (according to staff) they were making sure the stores were ready, had cash drawers, etc. If you know you open at 10, this should be done much earlier!!

As others have mentioned...there are not very many rides. And on our visit, 4 of those rides were down for one reason or another. At the gate, we were only told that one ride was down, so we were really upset to go from one ride to another only to find out that it was down. With the exception of the Led Zeppelin ride, all of the other functional rides were spinning rides of some sort...you can't ride those all day without some Dramamine!

Another disappointment was the expense! I'm use to paying a lot to get into parks...Disney charges an arm and a leg! But the park needs to be worth that $50. And when we went, there were no advertised discounts. We lucked out at the door to find out SC residents are only $39. But the website said EVERYONE (kids incl.) is $50. They are finally advertising that 3 and under is free and 3-10 is $35 (I believe.) Also, we paid ridiculous amounts for mediocre food (which is typical for park food...but it was just as expensive as eating at the Hard Rock Cafe...only this was a pizza from a counter.) Lunch was $15 pp.

Now for the positive. The staff was very friendly and they did go out of their way to fix things. They handed out beverage vouchers at one closed ride (but we were upset to find out we had to pay tax on our free drinks!) I wrote the company after our visit and they offered to let us come back for a complimentary visit. The park has a great theme and the Led Zeppelin ride is great (although I think I am getting old because I could only handle two rides on it.) Everything was clean.

The park was not crowded and I think it is going to have a difficult time making money if they don't give guests more incentives.

My advice: Wait another year or so before spending your money on a visit. They've got quite a few kinks to work out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 07:38 AM

9 posts, read 45,474 times
Don't get tricked....this park is not what it seems. So many people have asked for refunds since it opened. People who purchased season passes have turned them back in for refunds as well. On the commercials for the park, it states that all refunds must be requested within the first 30 minutes of entering the park. Who is able to get a good feel of an entire parki in 30 minutes???? Pretty impossible in my opinion, but good for Hard Rock as they won't have to issue so many refunds. My husband and daughter went there and spent over $100.00 on parking and entrance. This didn't include the $10.00 hamburger or $3.00 Mountain Dew that was purchased out of a vending machine either! Crazy prices for a less than fun park!

Old 08-07-2008, 06:35 PM

1 posts, read 3,102 times
Unhappy employee's view

I currently work at Hard Rock Park. I am not someone who sits in the office and pretends to work all day. I am one of those that makes sure to have a smile on my face as I greet each and everyone of you as you get on the ride I am operating, even though I might be having the worst day. Personally, I am so glad I do not have to buy tickets for myself. I love amusement parks so much that I wanted to work at one, yet I still find myself highly disappointed with HRP. With being a college student here in Myrtle Beach, I was excited when they mentioned that there was something new to do here, besides the nightlife on the weekend. But there are only 3 "adult roller coasters" and a handful of entertaining rides. They boast that concerts are included in the price, but there aren't many. Yes, I did go to the Kid Rock concert and enjoyed it, but that was before the park officially opened. For the Eagles concert, you couldn't even see the stage! I hear all the time how disappointed our guest are, and I will bend over backwards trying to make their day, but there is only so much I can do when they have been promised an entires day worth of fun, and all they can get is a few hours, max. I really hope that this park can grow into something better. I want them to succeed here in Myrtle Beach. I am just disappointed in the lack of truth in everything that has been promised.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:08 PM

58 posts, read 142,457 times
Latest rumor is that the park is not doing nearly as well as they had first envisioned. Some people are even speculating that the park could close within the next 2-3 years, if profits dont increase.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:31 AM

58 posts, read 142,457 times
9-24-08 hard rock park files for bankruptcy
S.C.'s Hard Rock Park files for bankruptcy after inaugural season - USATODAY.com

Old 10-01-2008, 12:42 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,454,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme29579 View Post
I currently work at Hard Rock Park. I am not someone who sits in the office and pretends to work all day. I am one of those that makes sure to have a smile on my face as I greet each and everyone of you as you get on the ride I am operating, even though I might be having the worst day. Personally, I am so glad I do not have to buy tickets for myself. I love amusement parks so much that I wanted to work at one, yet I still find myself highly disappointed with HRP. With being a college student here in Myrtle Beach, I was excited when they mentioned that there was something new to do here, besides the nightlife on the weekend. But there are only 3 "adult roller coasters" and a handful of entertaining rides. They boast that concerts are included in the price, but there aren't many. Yes, I did go to the Kid Rock concert and enjoyed it, but that was before the park officially opened. For the Eagles concert, you couldn't even see the stage! I hear all the time how disappointed our guest are, and I will bend over backwards trying to make their day, but there is only so much I can do when they have been promised an entires day worth of fun, and all they can get is a few hours, max. I really hope that this park can grow into something better. I want them to succeed here in Myrtle Beach. I am just disappointed in the lack of truth in everything that has been promised.
I am just SO sorry for you and your co-workers. What will this do to the economy? Are there still jobs available for you and all the other employees who are now unemployed?

Old 10-01-2008, 12:48 PM

10,080 posts, read 14,458,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmanuel View Post
Wow, that's so sad to hear. At least they are opening for next year's season. When I read that a theme park for Hard Rock was opening initially, I just had a feeling it couldn't be very successful. Doesn't sound like something the "masses" would visit....I wish it the best though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area