Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 03:31 PM

11,714 posts, read 24,853,883 times

Advertisements

Ouch: ThrillNetwork.com :: Hard Rock Park off to a rocky start (http://www.thrillnetwork.com/stories_view.php/2271/hard_rock_park_rocky_start.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 04:48 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,793,460 times
I was just talking with a neighbor that has a seasons pass. He heard they sold the park and are going to make it like Six Flags. Maybe just a rumor.

We were excited about the park opening but have not been there yet. Our reasons are the fact that it's just too hot to walk around and we hear nothing but negative things about it. It's really a shame because I was in to the whole rock-n-roll theme but I think there was some bad planning involved and marketing. They should be offering discounts at hotels for visitors and discounts to locals right from the beginning. They should also charge less after a certain time of the day and parking less or free to start out. Charge people for parking in a couple years after getting a steady flow and raise it annually, not right off the bat. They should be more creative to make up the difference because charging $10 to park ticks people off.

Old 08-06-2008, 05:18 PM

207 posts, read 1,004,759 times
I posted not too long ago about the park and my disappointment with it, so I won't bring all of that up. But, in a bad economy, Hard Rock Park should be giving quite a few more incentives to guests. We paid $10 for parking, $40 per ticket (because of SC resident discount), $15 per person for lunch...most rides were closed or not finished yet...so we were only entertained for an hour or two and then ready to go home. Not worth that kind of money! I wrote the park and expressed disappointment and they wrote back and offered to let us come back on them. However, that seems silly...unless they've added 5 or 6 new rides, its still going to be the same park. Its sad though, I was really excited about the opening.

Now, if they gave me a park opening incentive price of $25 bucks per ticket, I wouldn't have been too disappointed!

Old 08-06-2008, 06:26 PM

57 posts, read 102,131 times
The one thing that scares me about Myrtle Beach is how cheap a large number of the population mass is. How is $50 ($250 for a family of 5) a lot to ride multi-million dollar rides and have a full day of fun with your family at a brand new theme park a lot of money? That is a steal!

Why are there people, especially those that live in Myrtle Beach wanting the park to fail? That makes no sense unless you're looking to buy the park for $200 million cash if it fails, remarket it (because you are a pro at buying under valued assets and companies), and then you flip it for $800 million two years later.. In that case I understand why you want it to fail and I will even be your unpaid intern just to learn from you because you're such a huge rainmaker!

Old 08-06-2008, 07:38 PM

207 posts, read 1,004,759 times
Wow...I'm assuming you just called me cheap.

We visit Disney each year for a week or more. Disney asks much more for park entrance (although its discounted the more days you go)...but I'd pay $70 every single day there. The atmosphere is amazing...you are immersed in the theming of the park...even while waiting in the lines for the rides. The parks have more rides, shows, and overall entertainment. I even think the food at Disney is cheaper than what we paid at HRP.

$50 for 2 adult rides and some fair type rides just isn't worth it to me. I don't go to the fair, but I'm going to assume its cheaper than that. If MB visitors are so "cheap" the HRP should have done some market research and built a park somewhere with some high-rollers!

Old 08-06-2008, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acstr View Post
Why are there people, especially those that live in Myrtle Beach wanting the park to fail?
The park screwed the locals over. That's why. $50 for one roller coaster? Screw that. I can get tickets for $25 per person to Carowinds.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:52 PM

57 posts, read 102,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
The park screwed the locals over. That's why. $50 for one roller coaster? Screw that. I can get tickets for $25 per person to Carowinds.
How did it screw anyone over? It created many jobs, A LOT of new tax revenue, additional tourism, etc.

Its a 100% win in every way for Myrtle Beach!

Old 08-06-2008, 08:58 PM
GJM

465 posts, read 1,882,759 times
Quote:
How is $50 ($250 for a family of 5) a lot to ride multi-million dollar rides and have a full day of fun with your family at a brand new theme park a lot of money? That is a steal!

That is the problem it is NOT a full day of fun. I have not been, but hear you can go thru the park in 2 - 3 hours and you are done. Plus there are not alot of rides for the younger kids, and they charge extra for the section for the kids with the balls, and rock climbing.

I don't think any of the locals want to see it fail - it did create jobs, but there was just an article about all the people that are getting laid off or the hours being cut. Honestly I am not really sure if people decided to come to MB just to go to Hard Rock - plus what happens when all those tourist go home!

Old 08-06-2008, 09:37 PM

1,710 posts, read 5,689,707 times
On Sunday my daughter and her friends are suppose to be going so when I find out how they liked it I'll post it. I was/am hoping the park would be a big hit to the area. I think it still can if they could add more rides since that's what it seems like it's missing.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acstr View Post
How did it screw anyone over? It created many jobs, A LOT of new tax revenue, additional tourism, etc.

Its a 100% win in every way for Myrtle Beach!
How much it cost for a person to get into the park:

Old daily park ticket: $50 for everyone.
Current: $45 for adults; $30 for children ages 4 to 9; $39 for North and South Carolina residents on Saturdays and Sundays.

I can get a ticket to Carowinds for $25 currently. Additional tourism? Where? The condo projects there are stalled and hotel rooms are always half empty. I live in Greenville and haven't been to that city since 2004.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area