Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 07:30 PM

882 posts, read 3,537,044 times

Advertisements

HRP has officially filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection according to The Sun News.

The online article can be found here... Hard Rock Park files Chapter 11 bankruptcy - Local - Myrtle Beach Sun News

Many of the locals saw the impending failure of the Park from the onset. While I had high hopes for it, I don't think that the marketing helped it AT ALL. Hopefully, they will be able to reorganize and come back, possibly improved over what they offer now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 08:48 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,873,863 times
Wow, that is terrible news for the tourism industry here. But like you said, maybe they will reconsider their pricing, get some funding & do better promotions.

I am glad that I didn't get those Annual Passes!

Old 09-25-2008, 09:03 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,781,346 times
I'm not going to lie, I haven't been to Myrtle Beach in years and had no desire to go to this park. Why would I go to this park that costs $50 when I can go to Carowinds at half the distance for $25? Our college is currently selling tickets for that price. Carowinds has a water park too included with admission and 11 soon to be 12 rollercoasters. Hard Rock Park only has two-three rollercoasters and no waterpark. Not very good marketing by HRP if you ask me. Am I suprised they filed for Chapter 11? Nope.

Old 09-25-2008, 05:12 PM

882 posts, read 3,537,044 times
Holy smokes...
We agree on something.. LOL..

Old 09-29-2008, 08:39 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,658,548 times
I hate to even say this but when I was doing the photo tour to put onto City Data........I could see that even in its pre-stages it was not offering enough for the money.
Driving around trying for some shots ( but there was so much fencing in the way) I noticed it was extremely small. I couldn't see many family type rides........
I imagined that most people would not pay $50 to go to restaurants when they could go for free all around Myrtle Beach.
Disney parks are costly but they are an all day, ride, food, explore, adventure,........happening.
So is Universal, and MGM.
I have been to most parks, but I never intended to go into this one.
I don't think promotions would have worked either really. There just isn't enough for one to spend a day there ..........
I'm sure a group or two would have been fun to go see, but I think that was even an additional charge if I am not mistaken.
Most groups you can see for one flat fee at many different locations.
I feel bad about it, but I don't see what it could do to save itself now. The place needs someone to take it over and expand it outwards. ( in the area of the old Pottery Store) It needs places to shop, lots more in rides, fun and family frolic..........
So I hope for its future, but........who's going to do all that?
( PS Well, I don't have to worry about the roller coaster ride with Jammie....we we're both not ready for that anyhow...don't like 'em)

Old 10-01-2008, 12:36 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,434,568 times
So are you saying there will be no roller coaster ride????

I really am sorry to hear that because I understand that now the Pavillion is gone, too. Didn't they get rid of a few things (like the Pavillion) in hopes that this new park would perk up the economy?

I used to read on MB's newspaper and forum a few years ago. We were planning a trip there and I wanted info~LOTS of info. Anyway, the sad thing in all this is the fact that the locals KNEW this wasn't going to work out and they wanted things left as they were. Maybe the guys with the brains and the bucks should've listened to the locals???

Old 10-01-2008, 01:04 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,658,548 times
I took a few of the last pictures of the Pavillion, but they were on my cell phone ........and by gosh.......I couldn't move em'.

I was sad to see that get knocked down. That was in a great spot for family fun. My family always asked if it was open yet because I go to MB in the winter months......sometimes they would get the chance to visit just before heading home. Kids like rides, games, all that kind of "fair" type of action.

Many in the newspapers were sad about it. Many thought it was the wrong move.
At first I thought, oh well, a huge Hard Rock fun park would be ok then......

But, when I went to take pictures.....it seemed so darn small.
I can remember telling hubby, " all I see is coasters" I also told him.......
" Who will spend $50 to go to restaurants?" These places are plentyful at Broadway at the Beach....and free! Restaurants are all over the Myrtle Beach area.....every kind and type.

Sometimes do you wonder who designs something like this without the entire family in mind? You can't open a park for just teens or a select group of band watchers.

If they can expand, put rides, selective areas....themes......Music for each theme area. They could bring this around. But, will they know what to do, and will they want to spend the bucks knowing I has now failed?
Its very sad really that this had to happen.
Plus, now I am out the roller coaster ride......promised

Old 10-02-2008, 07:27 AM

1,710 posts, read 5,680,009 times
A few months ago my daughter and her coworker's went to HRP and said there really wasn't much to it. They liked the Led Zepplin roller coaster but care to watch the history of LZ before they rode it.

If you are looking for pics of the old pavilion here is a site I found.
Myrtle Beach Pavilion, SC

Old 10-03-2008, 09:26 AM

2 posts, read 2,674 times
I told everyone here a month ago, and got responces like "have you heard of hurricane?" Myrtle beach is not doing well. I have a brother who works for a big plumbing company. He told me today they keep laying off people. They are also requiring them to trump up sales where non are needed. He in now required to sell every thing he can on a job, and look for things to have the company call the home owner on by phone to have another crew come out and repair. I.E. he is in plumbing so if he sees a heating problem they will call for a service call. He told me of one poor lady that had a 6 yo condo. They told her she had to have her whole duct system tore out and replaced. There was nothing wrong with it. Now they have a credit company that will give them a loan for the work. I am so glad I was in construction my whole life. I do almost everything myself. If I could build my own car I would.

Old 10-05-2008, 09:22 AM

1,696 posts, read 8,873,863 times
Quote:
Myrtle beach is not doing well. I have a brother who works for a big plumbing company. He told me today they keep laying off people.
It's not just Myrtle Beach... I have family & friends in NY and Fla. The same thing is happening all over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area