Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 11:22 AM

208 posts, read 634,067 times

Advertisements

Did the Hard Rock Theme Park in MYB ever get auctioned off? I believe they were going to have an auction a couple of weeks ago. Hopefully it'll be sold and get back in business soon. I liked it a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 11:55 AM

1,696 posts, read 8,877,837 times
It is not looking too good:

Hard Rock Park hopes dim for '09 activity - Business - Myrtle Beach Online (http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/business/story/722640.html - broken link)

Old 12-29-2008, 12:40 PM

Thanks. That's too bad - I wish it could re-open. In this economic condition, however, they probably will not sell that thing for what they are wanting. If they want to unload it that price tag is going to need to come down.

I hope this doesn't become another Heritage USA...

Old 12-29-2008, 01:50 PM

421 posts, read 2,534,989 times
I was just in myrtle beach last week for a few days and saw a few commercials still on about this Hard Rock Park. I thought this park had financial troubles? Why would they still be running commercials and advertisements about this park if the park is closed?

Old 12-29-2008, 03:56 PM

That's strange that they are still advertising it. Maybe there was a contract or something that hadn't run out??

Old 12-29-2008, 06:34 PM

882 posts, read 3,538,824 times
HRP will not be opening for the 2009 season. You can bet on it.

There are far too many unknowns and uncertainties at this time for it to open, even if it were bought tomorrow.

This is going to be a black eye for us for years to come..

Old 12-30-2008, 02:25 PM

421 posts, read 2,534,989 times
Let me ask this, why did the developers build this Hard Rock Park in the first place? Did they see something that caught their eye and figure it would be the right place to open a theme park? And isn't this park mostly for adults? Others have mentioned to me that people have come into MB area and developed land and open business only to fail. Will this park be one of the biggest failures MB has ever had?

Old 12-30-2008, 02:49 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,676,644 times
I always felt the location could have worked fine. But, as soon as I saw it I knew it was very much smaller then I imagined.( there was more land in that location) That was the first shock. The second was the roller coasters......I have seen bigger and more vast in other places, some even close to home. Where was the rides for the little ones? Something new and exciting.
Parents come to MB with the whole gang in tow........They were not going there alone. Big mistake....not to cater to the kids. Disney is an all day adventure for the admission price. So is Universal, MGM.......all of those well worth it. But, before me I saw something different.
Restaurants are all over Myrtle Beach. So having to pay to get into a restaurant area was not feeling so good.........I couldn't see myself or my family paying $50.00 each to go into a restaurant and see these roller coasters.
As much as I tried to hope it would work.......my brain said, "No"
I am afraid it will be one of the biggest mistakes MB has had. It would have to expand in a Disney type of way to become something it is not now.
I really had high hopes........I happen to love the Myrtle beach area. I have seen many successes, like the water park on the Bypass......when that was about the ONLY thing on the bypass! It is still there now along with Broadway at the Beach, and that entire well developed area.

Old 12-30-2008, 03:28 PM

I've thought for quite a while that a Disney-type park would be nice for Myrtle Beach, a large resort-type thing for the whole family. It would work if executed properly.

Old 12-30-2008, 04:36 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,676,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clj2 View Post
I've thought for quite a while that a Disney-type park would be nice for Myrtle Beach, a large resort-type thing for the whole family. It would work if executed properly.
But, where are those people who would execute it properly?
This plan was going to be a failure right from the start. I was trying to be so happy for everyone about it......but, all along things were not right.
The entire layout is wrong. The lack of it being kid friendly.......wrong.
The admission cost for a bare-bones type of park.
Perhaps the cost for going in should be less, then extra for the music shows with a cover charge.
Still........all in all........it needs a major overhall. They won't have the funds to expand on it. Make it exciting and family friendly.
Someone needs to come along with big bucks and do big things!
It needs to be a combo Disney, MGM, Universal...with a little Hard Rock on the side......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area