Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 08:57 AM

3 posts, read 46,577 times

Advertisements

I'm a single mother. With a one year old son. I'm trying to move to Myrtle Beach would that be a good decision? i'm almost done with school with an associate degree for medical assistant and I'll be taking my CMA soon in July. Are there jobs down there for me. Are their activities for kids. Oh I'm from Central New York! Can i get some more info or suggestion

Last edited by Jerryka89; 04-09-2011 at 09:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 07:05 PM

790 posts, read 1,625,936 times
It's impossible for anyone to advise on whether it would be a good decision for you to move to Myrtle Beach. Only you can answer that question but you should ask yourself the following along with a bunch of other questions. What is your reason for wanting to move to Myrtle Beach? Why MB and not Knoxville, Ocean City, Chicago or some other city? What are you looking for in a place to live? What type of lifestyle do you want? Does MB fit that lifestyle? Do you need family support? How far away is your family going to be? How important is it to you to have family nearby or within XX hours of where you live? Does MB meet that requirement?

My experience is that one can decide to live just about anywhere and be happy IF you make up your mind to make the best of where you are. But, establishing criteria that you want met in the place you live makes the process of selecting a location much easier.

Now, to the more practical answer to one of your questions. MB unemployment hovers around 10% and jobs are generally hard to come by. However, the medical field is the one area where it seems to be a little easier. I have friends who worked in the medical field up north and have moved here and were able to find something relatively quickly. I would strongly recommend that you find something BEFORE moving here, however.

Old 04-10-2011, 07:27 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,324,280 times
One thing you might want to do is sit down and figure out what your expenses will be vs. what your income will be. Medical assistants, if you can find a job, don't make a lot of money, relatively speaking. You are a single mother with a toddler, so figure in child care. Rent, utilities, groceries, car maintenance and insurance, etc. must be figured in as well, and you will have to be careful to live in a nice area so that you and your child are safe. I don't mean to sound like a downer, but these are things that you have to consider before you move, not after, or you may find yourself in a world of hurt.

I don't know if you get child support, but if not, you may find that you have a hard way to go in MB. Definitely secure a job first, find out what you will be making per week, and sit down and do the math, for your sake and that of your child.

Good luck!

Old 04-10-2011, 07:28 PM

328 posts, read 435,580 times
My husband was lucky enough to land a job in the Myrtle Beach area so I also second the idea that you will need a job before moving to the area. No way would we move to this area without a job and the security it gives you.
I do not want to break your heart but to me it would be very hard to move to MB as a single parent unless you have some friends or family in the area. I would not trust anyone with my child when I was at work unless it was close friends or family.

Old 04-13-2011, 03:19 PM

3 posts, read 46,577 times
Yes the one thing I been looking for is a job and comparing everything. I just want a fresh start something that reminds me of where I'm from thanks for the advice. Now what are the nice location?

Old 04-26-2011, 07:14 PM

2 posts, read 26,056 times
Myrtle beach sucks! I`m from Raleigh,moved to myrtle area years ago,BAD MISTAKE!No jobs,ignorant rednecks,people here work for nothing ,traffic is bad and no beltline system,but hwy31 and it doesn`t go far.Go to Raleigh or Charlotte area

Old 04-27-2011, 06:34 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,327,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DW1out View Post
Myrtle beach sucks! I`m from Raleigh,moved to myrtle area years ago,BAD MISTAKE!No jobs,ignorant rednecks,people here work for nothing ,traffic is bad and no beltline system,but hwy31 and it doesn`t go far.Go to Raleigh or Charlotte area

Out of the many post here you are the first one I remember that hates Myrtle Beach and mentioned rednecks.

If you dislike it so much why don't you move?

I personally know many people who have moved from my hometown to Myrtle Beach and not one of them ever mentioned rednecks etc.

Did you not know Myrtle Beach has a lot of traffic before you moved?

I have family moving to Myrtle Beach soon and I do not believe they had trouble finding jobs and know about the traffic.

People work for nothing? Waitress we met last year at a Myrtle restaurant was knocking down 150-200 a day just in tips. Not too bad.

College kid doing some caddying at local golf courses told us he was making a couple hundred a day just caddying.

My family member took a job in the Myrtle Beach area for double the salary he was making in Ohio.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:32 AM

1,366 posts, read 3,350,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Out of the many post here you are the first one I remember that hates Myrtle Beach and mentioned rednecks.

If you dislike it so much why don't you move?
I guess this individual has no answers, just signed up to bash MB a few times and then forgot about it. Maybe he's grounded from using the computer or he's too busy listening to his Justin Beiber cd, either way.

MB is not perfect, but after my years and years of researching and visiting many potential relocation places for my family and I, MB is as good as it gets for us. It ain't for everyone. I totally hate living in West MI, and I'm counting down the days til I bid good riddance to it, but I don't go on the MI forums and bash it either.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:14 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,324,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNKY View Post
I guess this individual has no answers, just signed up to bash MB a few times and then forgot about it. Maybe he's grounded from using the computer or he's too busy listening to his Justin Beiber cd, either way.

MB is not perfect, but after my years and years of researching and visiting many potential relocation places for my family and I, MB is as good as it gets for us. It ain't for everyone. I totally hate living in West MI, and I'm counting down the days til I bid good riddance to it, but I don't go on the MI forums and bash it either.
A very wise thing to do. We also live in Michigan and when we relocated to Phoenix a couple of years ago after much research and thinking that we really couldn't stand living in Michigan one more minute and that we had found the perfect place for us, I also didn't go to the Michigan forum and make any negative comments, because I felt that only miserable people do those kinds of things, and I was too happy about moving to AZ.

Well, like so many others, the place that we thought was going to be so perfect wasn't, even with a great job in place and a nice house to move into. We found that we had totally underestimated how much home meant to us and the things that we initially loved about AZ when we visited there were the very things that made it seem so foreign once we actually got down to the business of day to day living there. Had I gotten on the Michigan forum and bashed our beautiful Great Lakes state, I would have had to eat some very bad-tasting words when we, gratefully, moved back home. One thing that I've learned in this life is, never burn your bridges, and it sounds like you understand that to be true too. Life doesn't always end up like we think it will, and we need to be prepared for anything. I see so many threads here on C-D started by people who are moving back home after realizing that the grass isn't always greener and that a sense of home and family are more important than they realized, and I always wonder how much bashing they did of their home state before taking off for the end of the rainbow, so to speak.

Good luck to you.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:41 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,835,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DW1out View Post
Myrtle beach sucks! I`m from Raleigh,moved to myrtle area years ago,BAD MISTAKE...
Sniff, sniff... I smell a troll, probably one who has worn out "his" welcome from previous negative postings under a different nickname. Either that, or else "he's" an awfully slow learner. Definitely not from NC. Never known a true Southerner who went around bad-mouthing rednecks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area