Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2012, 10:07 AM

11 posts, read 20,391 times

Advertisements

I have a friend who is relocating to N. Myrtle Beach soon and since I will soon be divorced I am considering a change in scenery also. I have lived in Delaware all my life (52 years) and would like this move to be my last one. I am a big animal lover and would need a house in a rural area and not in a development. My dogs (2) have always had a pet door and fenced yard and I am a firm believer in not letting them run loose to be destructive to others property. I also have cats and plan to equip the fenced yard with a cat containment system so they will remain on my property. I would love to volunteer at a local animal rescue or SPCA. Any ideas, remarks or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 11:01 AM

312 posts, read 732,603 times
Well, I am not sure really how to answer your question...but I see nobody responded to you...so I will try....pet friendly? Hmmm..not really....some are and most locals think they are just animals...there is a mix and you have the ones, like me, who are passionate about their pets...I have a rescue retired racing greyhound....over the years, I have been so extremely frustrated with the over population of cats in North Myrtle Beach....the Animal Control catches them and kills them basically...there is NO education or caring among the people about the problem...they believe that if you don't see them...there isn't a problem...so go ahead and kill them....I do not even call NMB anymore when I see a homeless pet because I know their fate.....

As far as homes that have large yards, etc. you will not find one in the NMB...you will have to go out further towards Loris, Longs, Conway, etc....mostly developments and condos in NMB and the houses with fenced in yards are quite expensive....not sure how much you are planning to spend...I am saying around 300-500k for something that isn't in a development....

I by no means want to discourage you but you may want to check the real estate pages for homes with your needs and wants and go from there....

I am sure NMB shelter would love to have another volunteer...I know a few gals who volunteer there...

Old 08-09-2012, 04:44 PM

Thanks for your response. It really doesn't sound like someplace I want to live. I'm very passionate about animal welfare and I really think I need a place that cares about something with a beating heart. I just don't know where. Thank goodness for the internet so I can do some research. Thanks again for your response.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:20 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,659,872 times
I think the Surfside Beach area is extremely an animal friendly place. The dogs are welcome on the beach for walks during the off months and early ( and I think late) in the summer months. Dogs of all sizes come to the ocean and enjoy it just like us.
There is at least three dog parks close to Surfside Beach. One close to the ocean by the Surfside library. Big dogs and small dogs go seperate into their areas. They play and have a grand ole' time. There is also a water fountain for them.
We have some wonderful vets also in our area, too many to speak of but I use The Ark.
There is the best of surgeons for major dog issues in Mt. Pleasant. The surgeons are so good there and so personable.
The surgeon also gives you his "home/personal" cell phone to call him is your pet has an issue. Our dog had to go there for a liver and a possible shunt problem. Dr. Beneuchi, was fantastic.
There also is many rescue groups here and there in our area. I've found when a pet is missing people come from everywhere to look for that lost pet. Some are found, because of everyone being on the lookout.
I know of two animals returned to their owners in the last few months by concerned local people.
If you were to stay at Oceanside Village for a week or two you would find out that most of the renters and owners have pets. They ride them to their mail area, to the beach and around the neighborhood.
That was my very first experience with seeing how much people love their dogs in this southern area of Myrtle Beach.
It was one of the many reasons I moved this way.
The best thing to do is experience it. Rent a home there for a week or weekend.
I do know there is a bad dog rescue place in Robeson, North Carolina that comes up quite often. That is the main area I would stay away from. There are good people who try to get dogs out of there and moved away!
In all the places I have ever visited, Surfside Beach came up as the most pet friendly. I can remember thinking " gosh, these people here are so pet friendly."......I didn't find that in Florida, or any other town.
Plus there are some really nice home developments here that will be pet friendly just like Oceanside Village..( that is leased land) There are places where you own your land and can live quite happily with your pets.

I have a pet door for my two dogs and a nice fenced area. To get to NMB from here it is a matter of taking 31 ( a quiet highway) North right to NMB. Lake Park Plantation or Glensmere on 544.....then just a skip to 31 and up to your friends.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:23 PM

Thanks Summering for your response. I'm still considering MB but also the Conway area. I've never been to either town but hoping that when my friend makes the move (I will be helping with the move) that I can really check it out. My 2 dogs also currently have a pet door and fenced yard. Thanks again.

Old 08-23-2012, 04:32 PM

Conway is a nice small town. I like it, and visit there often to go into the small shops.
However if you'd like to be by the beach somewhat without all the crowd around try Glenmere or Lake Park Plantation.
Both, have reasonable priced homes. Both you can have a fence for you dogs with no issue. I'm sure cats are welcome too. There is a nice lagoon in the back of some homes, others have woods .( in LP) You don't have to go too far to
have a home with enough land and privacy for yourself.
I don't like cookie-cutter developments either. Yesterday I went in to what is promoted as one of the "best" and its closeness and cookie-cutter look turned me right off.
You will love it here and your dogs will love the dog parks ( try Surfsides) and walks on the beach.
My surgeon for Maddie is having another office in MB soon.

Old 08-24-2012, 02:00 PM

Thanks Summering. I'm still open to all options. It's going to be a life changing experience as I have lived in Delaware for 51 of my 52 years. Looks like I'll be visiting the first or second week of October.

Old 08-25-2012, 03:33 PM

We lived in NJ and PA for all our years. Just moved to MB last August. There is so much to do here that you can't be bored that is what I enjoy the most.
Yesterday we went to Pet Smart in MB but soon Petco and PetSmart will both be open right by me on 544. I will love that. Maddie is on special canned food and sometimes its not in and I have to go back. It is actually a perscription Science Diet LD for her liver. She was born with a small liver and high liver enzymes in her blood.
That is also what is good in living in this general area. All three places I noted to you will be within minutes to the Pet Stores and all the other stores you need. There are all kinds of grocery stores nearby too.
We have been to many of the shows. The kids loved the Pirate Show and they love the Aquarium.
I do like Delaware, but you will have more to do here for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area