Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 11:05 AM

327 posts, read 881,664 times

Advertisements

Hello, going last minute to Myrtle Beach Memorial Week with some friends. Is Myrtle Beach gay friendly over all, and are there gay specific beaches, restaurants, bars, etc? There's not much to find on the web, except Gay Dolphin (which seems to be a gift shop, lol). All help's appreciated, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 12:35 PM

158 posts, read 582,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newjitty View Post
Hello, going last minute to Myrtle Beach Memorial Week with some friends. Is Myrtle Beach gay friendly over all, and are there gay specific beaches, restaurants, bars, etc? There's not much to find on the web, except Gay Dolphin (which seems to be a gift shop, lol). All help's appreciated, thanks.
I'm sure that as long as you don't act "gay" and show PDA (Public Display of Affection), everything is cool.

I wouldn't know about any "gay" places to go though, because I'm not.

Later.

Rob

Old 04-10-2009, 02:20 PM

267 posts, read 1,019,523 times
I don't think it would be particularly hostile, but I don't think it is a Gay mecca by any strech. Perhaps you would have more luck on the west coast, afterall this is South Carolina not South California!!!

Old 04-10-2009, 02:42 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,825,810 times
Trust me, the Gay Dophin is not what it sounds... The gay community has a quiet presence in MB, usually choosing to remain below the radar. You may be able to get better guidance from The Center Project website.

You might also keep in mind that the Atlantic Beach Bike Fest runs from May 21-25, 2009. In past years, this event has drawn 300,000+ visitors to the MB area. Due to efforts by the City of MB to discourage all bike weeks, there's a lot of confusion surrounding this year's bike rallies, and attendance may be lower this year, but they are definitely scheduled and moving forward. Recent restrictive ordnances by the city may reduce bikers' presence within the city limits, but this makes up only a relatively small part of the overall MB metro area. Getting 'round town, into restaurants, etc can be tough during these events. Not to discourage you, but you ought to know what you'll be dealing with.

Old 04-10-2009, 07:49 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,773,822 times
There are some gay bars here because I see them advertsied but it's a fairly conservative area, so maybe not very friendly but I don't see why you would have any problems. Here are some links that come up when I typed in "gay bars myrtle beach" gay bars myrtle beach' - Google Search

I never heard of any gay restaurants or beaches here. In general gay beaches are usually nude beaches and there are definitely none of them here. I don't think they even allow people to wear a thong bathing suit here, lol.

Old 04-11-2009, 12:31 PM

327 posts, read 881,664 times
Wow, had no idea. For some reason, I thought it was pretty gay as there are not much options in that area (b/w FL and DC), but it sounds more family oriented from most websites. Thanks.

Old 04-12-2009, 04:57 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,340,579 times
My cousin was part of a large gay community in Florence, and they spent quite a bit of time in MB. Many of the small southern towns have a quiet acceptance of the gay community, which is something you will not hear about. rwd is correct about not showing outward signs of affection.

Old 04-14-2009, 05:48 AM

20 posts, read 80,585 times
Legit Question by newjitty, Perhaps something to that especially when MB promotted The "GAYPRIDE FESTIVAL" last year over the BIKE WEEK FESTIVITIES.
May be an extreme preference for Gays????
D.L.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:22 AM

543 posts, read 2,363,772 times
I found this website for you to help you find entertainment that caters to the gay community.

Gay Myrtle Beach Guide - Bars and Clubs

Old 04-14-2009, 08:24 AM

543 posts, read 2,363,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NS_Highlander View Post
I don't think it would be particularly hostile, but I don't think it is a Gay mecca by any strech. Perhaps you would have more luck on the west coast, afterall this is South Carolina not South California!!!
I am straight and I find your comment offensive.

I have lived in SC all my life. (many generations my family has been here) I would never treat a gay any different than I would treat a straight person. They should be welcome here just like anywhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area