Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2024, 05:23 PM

542 posts, read 447,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew in Minnesota View Post
You forgot to mention higher wages. The median wage in Minnesota is $5000 more than in Georgia. So even factoring on taxes and cost of living (which is only marginally higher in MN anyway), you have more money and purchasing power at the end of the day.

You also forgot to mention far better schools and healthcare.
https://worldpopulationreview.com/st...kings-by-state
https://www.commonwealthfund.org/pub...em-performance

You also forgot to mention a homicide rate less than 40% that of Georgia. Or maybe you think a 250+% chance of your kids getting murdered is a price well worth paying so long as you get to make less money.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._homicide_rate

You also forgot to mention hurricanes. You know, we don't get them as often here in Minnesota as in Georgia.

Now, on to where you're wrong.

Roads? Minnesota's are better:
https://worldpopulationreview.com/st...ality-by-state

Tornadoes? Georgia is far more at risk:
https://www.disastercenter.com/tornado/rank.htm

Bugs? Again, Atlanta is the worst city in the country, period, for mosquitoes:
https://provenrepellent.com/the-wors...es-in-the-u-s/

While Georgia is one of the worst states for infestations:
https://www.nativepestmanagement.com...uggiest-states

Heat and humidity? Are you truly so clueless that you think it's cooler and drier in Georgia? Seriously?

Long cold winters? Hey, you actually got one right! Congratulations!

"Yeah, my wife was shot and killed and a tornado leveled my house and my kids go to a crappy school. But it didn't snow!"
Great post. I think he may reversed his name at creation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2024, 05:27 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,947,919 times
The point isn't really whether or not MN is "better" than GA; it's whether or not it's "better" for OP and, just as importantly, her partner.

Old 01-23-2024, 10:20 PM

47 posts, read 29,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew in Minnesota View Post
You forgot to mention higher wages. The median wage in Minnesota is $5000 more than in Georgia. So even factoring on taxes and cost of living (which is only marginally higher in MN anyway), you have more money and purchasing power at the end of the day.

You also forgot to mention far better schools and healthcare.
https://worldpopulationreview.com/st...kings-by-state
https://www.commonwealthfund.org/pub...em-performance

You also forgot to mention a homicide rate less than 40% that of Georgia. Or maybe you think a 250+% chance of your kids getting murdered is a price well worth paying so long as you get to make less money.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._homicide_rate

You also forgot to mention hurricanes. You know, we don't get them as often here in Minnesota as in Georgia.

Now, on to where you're wrong.

Roads? Minnesota's are better:
https://worldpopulationreview.com/st...ality-by-state

Tornadoes? Georgia is far more at risk:
https://www.disastercenter.com/tornado/rank.htm

Bugs? Again, Atlanta is the worst city in the country, period, for mosquitoes:

While Georgia is one of the worst states for infestations:
https://www.nativepestmanagement.com...uggiest-states

Heat and humidity? Are you truly so clueless that you think it's cooler and drier in Georgia? Seriously?

Long cold winters? Hey, you actually got one right! Congratulations!

"Yeah, my wife was shot and killed and a tornado leveled my house and my kids go to a crappy school. But it didn't snow!"
Well done.

I’ll add that Minneapolis/MN has more recreational opportunities, a better airport, more pro sports.

Oh, and a far superior state fair.

Old 01-23-2024, 11:29 PM

44,623 posts, read 61,597,128 times
Folks I wasn't comparing MN to GA, just telling the negative facts of MN, especially the Minneapolis-St Paul and surrounding areas.
I left MN after 15 years because of the items that I originally posted and found my paradise compared to MN. Not gonna tell as we don't want any more outsiders coming in and ruining the area. Good luck to the rest of you.

Old 01-24-2024, 07:00 AM

24,508 posts, read 10,825,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandViking View Post
when it comes to humidity, traffic, and mosquitos, it appears Atlanta has us beat.

THE 10 WORST CITIES FOR MOSQUITOES IN THE US
The year 2020 marks the seventh year Atlanta, Georgia, took the crown for the highest mosquito concentration. The following are all 10 of the worst cities in the US for mosquitoes:

Atlanta, Georgia
Los Angeles, California
Washington, DC
New York, New York
Chicago, Illinois
Dallas-Ft. Worth, Texas
Detroit, Michigan
Charlotte, North Carolina
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Miami, Florida
It is 2024
Have you lived in DFW? It is too windy and dry for skeeters.

Old 01-24-2024, 09:45 AM

542 posts, read 447,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Folks I wasn't comparing MN to GA, just telling the negative facts of MN, especially the Minneapolis-St Paul and surrounding areas.
I left MN after 15 years because of the items that I originally posted and found my paradise compared to MN. Not gonna tell as we don't want any more outsiders coming in and ruining the area. Good luck to the rest of you.
The post isn't about you. It's about a poster comparing two cities and trying to convince their partner to move here. So, obviously, it is going to considered a comparison because you are telling them what they will be dealing with. But, for the most part, those factors are worse in Atlanta other than the cold weather and taxes (though depending on their taxable income, that might not be true due to the progressive nature of Minnesota taxes- low to low mid incomes might have a lower overall tax profile than many low tax states at the same income). Furthermore, in her opening post, she acknowledged both of those and said she was looking forward to 4 season with a true winter and listed all the benefits of the state with the full knowledge they come at the cost of higher taxes.

Your paradise might be anothers hell. In 40 seconds, I found out that you are living in a suburb in Phoenix (you do know you have a post history). In 2023, Phoenix had over 133 days of over 100 degrees with 54 of those days above 110 degrees. Sounds more like hell than paradise to me. At least it's a dry heat.

You complained about Mosquitoes. Well, it appears they followed you from minnesota to Phoenix because they exist year around in Arizona. In one year, they accounted for half the cases of West Nile in the US. Okay this did surprise me but it sounds as if Arizona is NOT a mosquito free zone. Does paradise have half of all US cases of West Nile?
https://www.azcentral.com/story/trav...at/6242004001/

Bugs. We got em. But, when it comes to bugs, Phoenix can't be beat by Minnesota. That's right, Phoenix is known for their bugs. They actually were number 1 in some years as one of the buggiest cities in United States. Their roach population is healthy coming in at #4. Bedbugs are prevalent and fed creating a healthy population and a great place to see them in the "Wild". Hentavirus in rodents remains strong in the area. A paradise for sure.

https://www.yourvalley.net/stories/p...es-list,467603
Phoenix, you have a cockroach problem.

In fact, the Phoenix metro area ranks high — No. 4 — for places in the U.S. where roaches like to make their home, according to Pest Gnome, …

https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...ies-in-the-U.S.
You have fallen in the ranks according to this article. Only an overall ranking of #19. You did have 7 straight years of being number 1 a couple of years ago though. Atlanta does take the #1 though.

A colorado River accounts for over 1/3 of the drinking water in Phoenix. With all the straws dipping into the river, water might be a problem in the future. It is no wonder, I stumble across people from Arizona strategizing about getting water from the great lakes. Good luck with that.

I could go on about comparing Phoenix to Minneapolis or even Arizona to Minnesota. But this isn't about you, so I won't. However, I can see by the data and to me, that Phoenix is closer to hell than "paradise". I also think the reason you didn't reveal where lived was not about fearing more would move to your location, and more about fearing the comparison. It clearly doesn't hold as well as you think or imagine.

Last edited by TheGrandViking; 01-24-2024 at 09:59 AM..

Old 01-24-2024, 10:06 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,453,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKiwi View Post
Thank you Love reading about the literacy rate! I will add that to my list of growing positives about MN.

For those who live in the Twin Cities, how common is it to escape to nature outside of the city? In Atlanta but it's not super common for people to escape for a weekend to our mountains up North or to Lake Lanier (our major lake with water activities). I think people just get quite set in their ways in Atlanta, plus there's so much to do in the city. While the Twin Cities sound fabulous, a big part of the appeal of MN is escaping to nature. I'm just wondering how realistic that is, say to go up to the North Shore for a 5 day trip of skiing and exploring along Lake Superior, or a quick weekend getaway to Duluth? I get the impression long weekend escapes are more normalized there?
Oh yea, long weekends up north are def a thing here. Hell, day trips. We every now and then do a day trip to Duluth. Its only 2 hours from the city. 45-60 minutes north of Duluth you got Gooseberry and Split Rock.

Old 01-24-2024, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I'm glad you like outdoor activities but you may be inside more than you know. Winter can be brutal sometimes and summers have horrible humidity. The only other things that bothered me about Minnesota was the lack of Jack in the Box, Baskin-Robbins, and 7-11s, and the lack of competing grocery stores. I was used to Kroger (QFC), Albertson's, Safeway, and now we have Winco plus a number of discount stores, and in California there was Nob Hill and and a few others. In Minnesota I saw only one grocery store (can't remember the name now) and beyond that, a couple of smaller stores, very limited in products and usually expensive. I remember trying to find Gallo's salami and striking out on that all over. At the time I also wanted to buy shrimp, either in the bag or by Gorton's or something, and the prices then, in 2012, were what the prices are now. Research carefully.
The only thing that has kept me relatively indoors this winter, is the lack of snow. Otherwise I am outside in the snow any chance I get in winter. Winters are nowhere near as bad as people make them out to be. The humidity is nothing if you come from the South. OP is in Georgia, I grew up in Florida... SOUTH Florida! Minnesota humidity is a walk in the park.

Old 01-24-2024, 10:18 AM

You sound like you would love Minnesota and your partner can open up to it, just do a few trips.

I grew up in Florida but wanted to live in Minnesota since I was 15. My husband originally from Texas. We are a gay couple. I moved here in August 2017 and he followed suit in August 2018. We love living here. Its a very inviting place for LGBT folks.

I love experiencing all four seasons. You truly do get to maximise them. This winter has been a bore with the lack of snow, but normally there is enough snow to keep you busy all season long. The brutal days aren't too bad. They are usually sunny. I personally find -15 with sunshine and snow cover much more invigorating than 35 with grey skies and little to no snow on the ground. Ideally though I like it between 15 and 30 with several inches to a foot of snow on the ground lol.

Idk how Atlanta is with nature. I been to Georgia including Atlanta and y'all have mountains nearby and lots of trees which is nice but it doesn't read to me as "outdoorsy" the way Denver, Seattle, Portland etc. are. The Twin Cities and Duluth are very outdoorsy. We don't do mountains like the west and we lack oceans but we love our lakes. The Twin Cities alone have so much nature, be they lakes, waterfalls, riverfronts, wooded hiking trails, local campgrounds etc.

We definitely embrace winter here and have a Nordic spirit in many ways. Its actually amusing seeing how much of the country reacts to cold and snow and here its just a part of life. Some hate it but many of us make the most of it and see it a welcome change to the landscape and opens up so many activities that are impossible with bare ground. You sound like you'd fit in! Hopefully your partner loves it too.

When my husband and I started dating (we mark 10 years on Friday) he had this huge hesistance about leaving Texas and Minnesota winters sounded scary to him lol. He bundles up less than me in winter, and I love the cold lol

Old 01-24-2024, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
I lived in Minnesota for five years in 1976-1981.

Pretty place in many ways.

But the things that stand out to me now:

1.) IT'S COLD. *BITTERLY COLD* in winter. Stepping outside in full ski gear & hat when it's 25 below is like walking into a brick wall. It HURTS. And it will be the same tomorrow, and the next day, and the next.

2.) They pour salt on the roads in wintertime to try to reduce the snow and ice. This results in new cars showing significant rust in two years, and pieces of the car falling off in the third year. And it gets worse and worse, never stops.

3.) In summer, mosquitos. We used to call them the Minnesota State Bird. When practicing or instructing with marching bands and drum corps, you had to goop on the Cutter on every exposed square inch, so thick you could see it gleaming. Hated that feeling.

4.) There are only two distinct seasons, not four: (a) Winter, and (b) Road Construction. (another joke, but it's true.) It's hard to drive any distance, any where, in the warm season, without running into construction zones, lane closures, and roadblocks.

5.) Great biking paths in Spring/Summer.

I was also there when, one January, temperatures rose to 57F in the middle of the day one time. The local paper (Mpls Star-Trib) got out headline characters that hadn't been used since Sept. 1945 (VJ) when WWII ended, saying 57* (it was a little degree symbol, a tiny o, not an asterisk). Filled the front page from left edge to right edge, about a foot tall. It was weird riding my bike on a local street on a warm asphalt road... between ice ruts 10 inches apart that hadn't melted yet.
I can count on one hand how often its been -25 since I moved here in 2017. Its not really a common temperature. Every winter is different, though. This winter has been the mildest I ever seen here. Reminds me of Texas. Barely any snow. Its late January and above freezing. We are fixing to hit 51 on Groundhog Day. It stayed in the 50s and 40s and rained all Xmas Eve and Xmas Day. Personally I prefer the bitter cold and snowy winters to this mild brown nonsense.

The road construction jokes are funny and all but not truth to what the seasons are like. MN has the most beautiful falls I have ever seen. Granted I haven't spent fall in New England lol but I seen Georgia in fall. Its pretty but not like Minnesota. Different trees.

Minnesota was a lot colder in the '70s than these days. The mean annual minumum between 1977 and 1981 was -23.

The only time it got that cold while I lived here was late Jan 2019. (For MSP)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota