Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2024, 10:22 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times

Advertisements

Sounds like she'd like to return to Denmark. Maybe she should?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2024, 03:55 PM

3,773 posts, read 5,321,473 times
Is the horse dead yet?

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dict...20dead%20horse

Old 01-28-2024, 05:56 AM

3,934 posts, read 2,184,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew in Minnesota View Post
You forgot to mention higher wages. The median wage in Minnesota is $5000 more than in Georgia. So even factoring on taxes and cost of living (which is only marginally higher in MN anyway), you have more money and purchasing power at the end of the day.

You also forgot to mention far better schools and healthcare.
https://worldpopulationreview.com/st...kings-by-state
https://www.commonwealthfund.org/pub...em-performance

You also forgot to mention a homicide rate less than 40% that of Georgia. Or maybe you think a 250+% chance of your kids getting murdered is a price well worth paying so long as you get to make less money.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._homicide_rate

You also forgot to mention hurricanes. You know, we don't get them as often here in Minnesota as in Georgia.

Now, on to where you're wrong.

Roads? Minnesota's are better:
https://worldpopulationreview.com/st...ality-by-state

Tornadoes? Georgia is far more at risk:
https://www.disastercenter.com/tornado/rank.htm

Bugs? Again, Atlanta is the worst city in the country, period, for mosquitoes:
https://provenrepellent.com/the-wors...es-in-the-u-s/

While Georgia is one of the worst states for infestations:
https://www.nativepestmanagement.com...uggiest-states

Heat and humidity? Are you truly so clueless that you think it's cooler and drier in Georgia? Seriously?

Long cold winters? Hey, you actually got one right! Congratulations!

"Yeah, my wife was shot and killed and a tornado leveled my house and my kids go to a crappy school. But it didn't snow!"
FWIW, none of the links you used to make your points are really based on data.
Some are talking out of their ***** it seems.
Example :
-“worst city for mosquitoes” from a company selling repellents? They don’t say how they even arrived at their conclusions
-“worst for infestation”? -“according to our data? -from another pest company? If you look at their “data” - you could see what they push - looks like bedbugs spray - based on some internet ? searches - again no links to data

Yeah, that is unbiased opinion worthy of propagating further…NOT!

According to your link to “world population review” with their data for 2023 allegedly - Norway is a very dangerous country - isn’t it a favorite country for OP?
Below is the summary of the data quality of the site you linked according to a Reddit user
as it saves me time

“.. the site lists Norway as having the most deaths from mass shootings in 2023, with 69 total deaths and 1.88 per capita. The population is somewhere around 5 million. If that doesn't seem to add up, it may be because those deaths happened in a single event in 2011, and the per capita figure is the median over a 7 year period (2009-2015). Again, the article with the interactive map claims this information is for 2023.
“There are lies, damned lies and statistics” as Samuel Clemens? once said

Re: WIKI:
I wish people stopped quoted wiki as if “ it is the truth and nothing but the truth”. Even Wiki’s founder grew disillusioned and implores people not to use it - as it went totally haywire

I could write whatever and claim whatever and if the subject is obscure enough, not very interesting to people, etc or in the language one doesn’t know - no one would even attempt to correct it

Add to that some political or some potential for profit shenanigans - you get the picture?

Yet, you think you “proved” your point with some useless, unreliable links perhaps written by your neighbor in the basement hurriedly? - this is “internet” too..
People need to learn to use “internet”

Last edited by L00k4ward; 01-28-2024 at 06:19 AM..

Old 01-29-2024, 06:55 AM

1,852 posts, read 867,463 times
Meanwhile, the OP has disappeared, likely because she didn't appreciate the feedback surrounding convincing her partner to move.

Old 01-29-2024, 07:11 AM

3,773 posts, read 5,321,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
Meanwhile, the OP has disappeared, likely because she didn't appreciate the feedback surrounding convincing her partner to move.
Exactly. Thus my "beating a dead horse" reference.

I don't know why people don't simply answer an OP's questions rather than question and critique their motives and relationships.

Methinks this thread is a prime candidate for closure.

Old 01-29-2024, 10:01 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
The OP asked for "things that might bring interest to my partner" so the partner's interest is relevant to the discussion. Also, we're not Google, which would quickly give the OP all the amenities that state has to offer with no judgment IF that were her question, but it wasn't.

Last edited by otterhere; 01-29-2024 at 10:41 AM..

Old 01-29-2024, 10:36 AM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
Exactly. Thus my "beating a dead horse" reference.

I don't know why people don't simply answer an OP's questions rather than question and critique their motives and relationships.

Methinks this thread is a prime candidate for closure.
But her question was "how to I convince my partner to move there?". It wasn't possible to answer without asking further questions on why the partner needs convincing in the first place.

Old 01-30-2024, 02:09 PM

2,077 posts, read 1,122,660 times
Promise him a lil’ red Corvette.

Old 02-01-2024, 03:38 PM

559 posts, read 1,323,071 times
There are enough people in Minnesota. You are welcome to check it out though and see if you like it. It’s been in the 50s this week, which is nice for the middle of winter. The rest of the country and a few Minnesotans seem to be flocking to Texas. That’s awesome. More open space, forest, lake and trails for the rest of us to
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota