Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2024, 10:30 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,453,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Baustian View Post
Snow in mid- or late-October is not uncommon in the Twin Cities. And while I'm ready to switch from winter tires to all-seasons in mid-April, the last snowfall is typically in the first week of May. Summers are nice, but over too soon.

It's true that some folks love winter: outdoor ice skating, cross-country skiing, deer hunting, ice fishing. But for people with jobs it's mostly just a hassle: waking up in the dark, hoping the car will start, scraping the windshield while the engine warms up, driving to work on ice-covered roads while it's still dark, and then repeating everything at the end of the workday. And then there's the bad drivers from the Sunbelt who don't know how to drive in the snow and ice, who cause accidents and create delays for the rest of us.

On the plus side, wages are pretty good in the Twin Cities. On the negative side, housing is expensive except in the high crime neighborhoods.
May snow is pretty uncommon outside of the northern tier of the state. I don't think the cities had had any May snow accumulation in over a decade. April is the true end of the snow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2024, 10:34 AM

50,730 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
The point isn't really whether or not MN is "better" than GA; it's whether or not it's "better" for OP and, just as importantly, her partner.
I agree. It doesn't matter if salaries are higher in Minnesota if the partner has to give up a state job she's going to get a pension for in a few years if she stays. Also OP never answered how her partner feels about the cold, which is probably the biggest factor IMO.

Old 01-24-2024, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I agree. It doesn't matter if salaries are higher in Minnesota if the partner has to give up a state job she's going to get a pension for in a few years if she stays. Also OP never answered how her partner feels about the cold, which is probably the biggest factor IMO.
The pension is probably going to be the main factor here. As far as the cold... ehh I personally love the cold myself but I know people who live here who hate the cold but still love living in Minnesota because the quality of life is superb and the cold is seasonal. Its not year round like Antarctica. Likewise, I know people who live in Texas and love it but cannot stand the Texas summers. Weather isn't a deal breaker for everyone.

This winter has been so mild though, I may as well be in New Jersey lol.

Old 01-24-2024, 12:56 PM

32,925 posts, read 36,329,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincho-toot View Post
The pension is probably going to be the main factor here. As far as the cold... ehh I personally love the cold myself but I know people who live here who hate the cold but still love living in Minnesota because the quality of life is superb and the cold is seasonal. Its not year round like Antarctica. Likewise, I know people who live in Texas and love it but cannot stand the Texas summers. Weather isn't a deal breaker for everyone.

This winter has been so mild though, I may as well be in New Jersey lol.
You should have been in New Jersey. We just had a group days with the high temperature at or below freezing and nights in the teens. It snowed 5 1/5 inches in my area recently. That's South Jersey, too.

Old 01-24-2024, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
You should have been in New Jersey. We just had a group days with the high temperature at or below freezing and nights in the teens. It snowed 5 1/5 inches in my area recently. That's South Jersey, too.
Teens? Thats it? Lol coldest it got this winter was -10 in my area and thats pretty moderate for us. Barely any snow. We had more snow on the ground on Halloween than we have had all winter.

Todays been misty in the lower 30s. Feels more like early spring. Looks like it too, mostly brown grass with patches of melting snow. Definitely doesn't feel like a normal winter. Nothing but above freezing for the extended forecast.

Old 01-24-2024, 04:29 PM

24,508 posts, read 10,825,052 times
Quote:
Teens? Thats it? Lol coldest it got this winter was -10 in my area and thats pretty moderate for us. Barely any snow. We had more snow on the ground on Halloween than we have had all winter.

Todays been misty in the lower 30s. Feels more like early spring. Looks like it too, mostly brown grass with patches of melting snow. Definitely doesn't feel like a normal winter. Nothing but above freezing for the extended forecast.
This is turning into a snow/weather thread. It sounds like there is a bit more to OP's relationship besides snow or no snow.

Old 01-24-2024, 04:41 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,947,919 times
"Thread drift" is a big problem on City-Data.

Old 01-24-2024, 08:26 PM

32,925 posts, read 36,329,197 times
Quote:

My mistake. I thought that you might enjoy a 13 degree morning with almost 6 inches of fresh snow. I did. That doesn't happen here often. I got to put on my warm coat and wear my boots.

Old 01-25-2024, 10:47 AM

50,730 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
This is turning into a snow/weather thread. It sounds like there is a bit more to OP's relationship besides snow or no snow.
She's on another thread before this one, where she asked posters what state has a lot of Nordic culture and community. That's where Minnesota came from. It sounds like she has some desire to live among Nordic community and coming up with reasons to convince partner to give up a vested pension job and leave older parents behind, so she can do that.

Old 01-25-2024, 02:46 PM

24,508 posts, read 10,825,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
She's on another thread before this one, where she asked posters what state has a lot of Nordic culture and community. That's where Minnesota came from. It sounds like she has some desire to live among Nordic community and coming up with reasons to convince partner to give up a vested pension job and leave older parents behind, so she can do that.
Does not sound like the kind of partner I would want to drop my life for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota