Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 06:52 AM

796 posts, read 1,844,172 times

Advertisements

I would rather have an MBA from a 4-year University...ANY 4 year-university than from UoP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 10:08 AM

415 posts, read 651,599 times
There is a huge difference between U of P and FIU. For starters the U of P is not accredited by the AACSB. If you later wanted to attend another accredited school they wouldn't even recognize your degree.

If I was rejected from FIU then I would consider alternatives that would include schools like U of P. It better to have a U of P degree than nothing but again that would need to be because I was rejected everywhere else. And when considering the average graduate salary, networking opportunites, etc. you would be foolish to attend the U of P if you could gain acceptance to FIU.

Do your research when selecting an MBA program. It's MUCH different than undergrad. Where you go to school will make all the difference. There are vast differences in salary from graduates at different schools. Here is the information for FIU at business week:

Florida International University: Full-Time MBA Profile – BusinessWeek

FIU is a non ranked school and probably the lowest you want to go if you can get accepted and you want to stay in the area. If you want to leave the area then I wouldn't even go to FIU. Median salaries are about $52k. Which is decent for the area. But for many people they already make above that before an MBA, so that would be more of a personal decision. For comparison median salaries at many of the ranked schools are in the $80-$100k range.

Look at the companies that hire graduates. If you don't see anyone getting a position at the type of companies you want then its a good chance you wont get it either.

The median GMAT score for applicants at FIU is 550 which is pretty low. But U of P doesn't even require the GMAT.

U of P should be a last resort. Someone who scores a 500 on the GMAT and gets rejected from everywhere else.

Old 04-21-2010, 02:51 PM

1 posts, read 2,794 times
I didn't attend school @ FIU but to ask which BS is better? that's a joke, and insulting to the membrane & to those that attend a reputable school (lol). U of P is better than nothing but even a Community College would be better than U of P, for those that can't see the FIU ranking please go to the site and u will see the links to the independent source sites; if they lied about their rankings, u would see a dead link or would not be able to independently verified the rankings. Anyway, for the person that asked the Q, maybe u should not be going to Graduate school and instead focus on greeting people @ Wal-Mart or something that requires less brain power. good luck! buddy --==---> LMAO @ U

Old 07-28-2010, 06:13 PM

1 posts, read 2,664 times
I was an Adult student at UOP undergrad and later uop grad school. UOP has a very strong MBA program. The program is not for the students who do not want to put forth effort in the studies. All if not 90% of the professors are hold executive positions in the courses that they teach. For example, i had a court of appeal Judge teaching law classes, president of federal economics teaching economics classes etc. These professors have doctorate degree from various reputable institutions, with post doctorate assignments. Many of those bashing UOP have minimal or no knowledge about the programs or if they do...they may be a percentage of those who were weeded out academically at UOP. UOP has rigorous and tight study schedules that benefits the students who are willing to put effort more than manay traditional colleges. I you a working adult and you would like to pursue quality education that incorporates diverse student faculty real life experience then, you will have the best experience at UOP. Prior to my starting my MBA AT UOP i was accepted at a traditional college Loyola. The faculty members were great; however, i prefered working adult type college due to the type of study and resources available at UOP. I tranfered back to UOP. The question is , what commitment are you willing to put forth in your MBA? UoP infact has been a leader in spear-heading online courses and setting direction to the future of online eduction. If you are a slacker then UOP is not your place.

Old 07-28-2010, 06:28 PM

119 posts, read 249,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBA Graduate View Post
I earned an MBA at UOP. Not online but in a real class. Each class was six weeks long. It was an extremely positive experience. The teachers were first class all the way. The curriculum was very relevant, but not easy at all. Perhaps the reason the graduation level is low (if that is true) is because the nature of this learning environment is not conducive to people who are not team players, or otherwise, cannot get their work done. I have been in other schools where you can skate by and graduate...but not at UOP. It is hard. The lazy people, or acedemically challenged, are just not going to make it through. What do you want to see...a graduation rate of 100%??? ...if anyone, and everyone got a diploma it wouldn't be worth much. Most of the graduates I knew were very smart and highly motivated individuals. Most already had professional careers in place. The people I knew that dropped out, for the most part anyway, just couldn't get the work done and didn't belong there...they needed to move on. Everybody wants a diploma, but in the real world not everybody deserves to get one...
Obvious UoP employee is obvious.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:18 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,012,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkwon View Post
I was an Adult student at UOP undergrad and later uop grad school. UOP has a very strong MBA program. The program is not for the students who do not want to put forth effort in the studies. All if not 90% of the professors are hold executive positions in the courses that they teach. For example, i had a court of appeal Judge teaching law classes, president of federal economics teaching economics classes etc. These professors have doctorate degree from various reputable institutions, with post doctorate assignments. Many of those bashing UOP have minimal or no knowledge about the programs or if they do...they may be a percentage of those who were weeded out academically at UOP. UOP has rigorous and tight study schedules that benefits the students who are willing to put effort more than manay traditional colleges. I you a working adult and you would like to pursue quality education that incorporates diverse student faculty real life experience then, you will have the best experience at UOP. Prior to my starting my MBA AT UOP i was accepted at a traditional college Loyola. The faculty members were great; however, i prefered working adult type college due to the type of study and resources available at UOP. I tranfered back to UOP. The question is , what commitment are you willing to put forth in your MBA? UoP infact has been a leader in spear-heading online courses and setting direction to the future of online eduction. If you are a slacker then UOP is not your place.
Was that a joke?

Anyway please give me a break. Go into a job say you have a MBA from U of P instead of FIU especially in the Miami area, 99.9% of the time the FIU degree will be looked at more. Your talking like UOP is Georgetown or something. Its an online school its not a "real" school and most people wont think much of it.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:07 AM

9 posts, read 46,157 times
I'd rather go to NSU then either of these two schools.

Old 10-13-2010, 02:55 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,373,081 times
University of Phoenix is respected, but all things equal, the tution is better at FIU. If you can, do FIU rather than UOP, simply from a fianancial point of view.

Old 10-13-2010, 02:11 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,012,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
University of Phoenix is respected, but all things equal, the tution is better at FIU. If you can, do FIU rather than UOP, simply from a fianancial point of view.
And from the point of not being laughed at by the people trying to hire you.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:04 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,826,533 times
Just some simple advice, do not waste your money at UP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami