Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 10:44 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,337,794 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. I'll be applying to colleges in a little bit and I'm interested in moving to Miami since here in LA, when it gets below 50*, i'm freezing. And, I would like to try experiencing living somewhere else. Miami seems like a really cool city to me, and yes, I do plan on visiting before I attend if I'm accepted.

So, I'm thinking of applying to University of Miami. How is it? Is it a respectable college in Florida? Also, is it like University of Southern California (USC), meaning it's in the ghetto. USC is in the middle of South Central LA. I don't want to be somewhere like that.

How do you think University of Miami and Miami University compare? Is one thought of as more pristine than the other? Looking at the scores for the two, it seems like U of Miami is better, but only by 10 SAT points in each category. My scores were 530 on Math, 570 on Critical Reading, and 630 on Writing. I'm definitely planning on raising my Math scores since those scores are without any preparation.

And, yes, I have checked out University of Florida and Florida State University, but I don't want to live in Gainseville or Tallahassee.

Has anyone been to one of the two ( MU or U of M)?

Thanks for any input you have on these colleges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 12:43 AM

9,357 posts, read 14,299,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Also, is it like University of Southern California (USC), meaning it's in the ghetto. USC is in the middle of South Central LA. I don't want to be somewhere like that.
The University of Miami is located in the town of Coral Gables, a few miles southwest of downtown Miami.

The Miami area has few good towns/neighborhoods, but Coral Gables is one of the best, in the heart of the relatively narrow corridor served by the Metrorail, from downtown/Brickell to Dadeland.

Just south of Coral Gables is the town of South Miami and just east Coconut Grove a neighborhood of Miami proper.

If your finances allow the rental of a nice apartment in Coral Gables (zip codes 33146 and 33134, or South Miami 33143), then "neighborhood" should not be an issue.

As for quality of the universities, I have the impression that most people on this sub-forum are in that age group where such questions don't matter anymore. Though you may receive a few opinions, you may want to do deeper research from other sources.

Having said that, my general impression is that it does not matter where you spend your first two years of university, the curriculum is pretty much the same, generally speaking, so if you think you might like the town, the Miami lifestyle, go for it, you can always switch in your junior year.

More important than the quality of this or that university, in my view, is the quality of this or that school/faculty, the quality of the curriculum in your chosen field of study (eventually) in that school/faculty, and the quality of the professors in that particular program. Generally speaking, one does not have to focus sharply on such issues in the first two years. But if, in your case, you feel that it makes sense to focus sharply on such issues now, then you have to organize your research around them, too detailed for an incisive response on this sub-forum, I believe.

Old 12-10-2007, 01:16 AM

I actually want to do something with sciences. Maybe a dentist/cosmetic dentist. No orthodontistry. I hate the sound of grinding metal. Beinga veternarian would be cool. I also like meteorology, but it would probably be a hard career field to enter.

Old 12-10-2007, 01:51 AM

Sounds like you're not too sure yet what you want to major in, quite normal at this stage.

I would say take another hard, first-hand look at both Tampa and Miami and decide which area you like more.

Also don't neglect Florida Atlantic University in Boca Raton. I do not believe it is a top school, but it is moving up, and you may like the area.

Good luck!

Old 12-10-2007, 10:51 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,777,344 times
I'm a little bit confused as to why you are comparing University of Miami (a medium-sized private school in Coral Gables, FL) with Miami University (a large public university located in Ohio). Miami University is much older (1850s versus 1920s) and is named after a Native American tribe that used to live in the area.

In the opinion of many people I've talked to (U of M students and non), University of Miami has a hefty price tag (like many private universities do) without the superior strengths in many academic programs to warrant it. I think that the exceptions are the business school and the music and arts programs. Otherwise, you can get more bang for your buck elsewhere. Although it doesn't apply in your case, Florida high-school graduates can qualify for the Florida Bright Futures program where if you have a 3.0 GPA, you can pretty much go to any FL state school with your tuition paid for (still have to foot fees and room & board...which can be pricey...but not as much as private tuition!). For undergraduate work in fact, University of Florida outshines UM since UF is listed with the Association of American Universities (reserved for the top-tier research universities) and offers a lot more in the way of majors and programs.

University of Miami does have a strong reputation in graduate education in the area; with it's medical school, business school and law school (although again UF's law school is seen as a tad more prestigious) funneling many professionals in South Florida to give plenty of network opportunities.

On a national scale, I think UM is known for it's unique character, sports, and location more than it's academics. The school also offers some innovative programs like Music Engineering and Carribbean Studies. However locally, most people don't see UM as the best school around...for whatever reasons. I guess they feel like if they are going to pay that kind of money for college, why not go to Emory or Carnegie Mellon or something.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:11 PM

Yeah, about Miami University, I thought that was also in Miami. I just happened to see the name and have done no research on it yet. I learned earlier today it's in Miami. Sooo...forget about MU.

Well, UF is a great school, but I wouldn't want to live there. I would only live in Miami, Tampa, or somewhere along the eastern coast of FL. What are some good ones not too far from MIA or WPB or FTL?

Old 12-11-2007, 12:03 AM

1,284 posts, read 3,895,549 times
University of Florida is the best university in the state!!!

Old 12-11-2007, 01:01 AM

Quote:
What are some good ones not too far from MIA or WPB or FTL?
As I said, look into Florida Atlantic University in Boca Raton. It offers a wide range of study, but I don't know anything about the quality, probably mediocre, but most everything is mediocre, isn't it?

Again, as I said, while it is fun to talk about the quality and prestige of this or that university, it really depends on the curriculum and faculty for a particular field of study (the above poster gave you some detailed insight into UoM).

There are also several minor universities in SE Florida, like Barry University, one or two in Broward, one or two near WPB, but they are so minor that I can't remember their names.

There are so many websites listing universities and colleges in all 50 states, and all around planet earth, you can easily find the information yourself in about 15 minutes, maybe 16.

Old 12-11-2007, 06:11 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,777,344 times
Quote:
Well, UF is a great school, but I wouldn't want to live there. I would only live in Miami, Tampa, or somewhere along the eastern coast of FL. What are some good ones not too far from MIA or WPB or FTL?
Well it comes back to what you want to go to college for; and what you're willing to pay. Being that you're out of state, the state schools may be just as expensive because they don't offer that much financial aid to out-of-staters...but it depends. Overall...I would say that UM is the best school in the region; but mostly because of it's size relative to it's endowment and offerings. I (and this is my take from working in the region with graduates from many different schools) believe Florida International University (also in Miami) has superior programs in Business (particularly International Business...which is big in FL) and Education. Florida Atlantic University (multi-campus, but main one is in Boca Raton) has some great engineering programs (especially the ocean engineering program), and biotechnology programs. Nova University (Ft. Lauderdale) is another private school which is popular with non-traditional students because of their numerous distance-learning options (but I wouldn't recommend them for a traditional college student in that the on-campus atmosphere is kind of dead). Barry University is another school with an excellent program for education majors (private Catholic University). But again, I think UM tops regional schools because with many of these universities, you'll have some stellar programs existing alongside of some duds (like FIU's music program) which makes UM come on top all-around.

Over in Tampa, you have University of South Florida (another big state school), The New College of the University of South Florida (one of the BEST colleges in the entire country....hard to get into though...very hard), University of Tampa (small and private), and maybe some others.

I myself went to college in a rural area and then in the city. I don't know if you can consider where you go to school where you "live". I say this because although you may spend the majority of the year there...you still have to "get out" of the dorms (mandatory in a lot of cases for first year students who don't have families nearby) on break periods...and you don't have a lot of time to work. As far as social life -- colleges tend to create that on their own. Also, I think the "social scene" in Miami is out of reach for most college-kids (it's expensive, and 21+). Don't get me wrong, I don't think I would have wanted to go to school in Gainesville either (a bit isolated). However, I don't feel that Miami is such a great college-city; like New York, Chicago or even Atlanta...where you are exposed to a more diverse economy and cultural life.

Old 12-11-2007, 07:43 AM

FIU is located in western Miami in a section known as Westchester, mostly low-income Hispanic, I believe. The nearest "upscale" neighborhood is Doral, a bit further north, also pre-dominantly Hispanic. The next closest residence option is southwestern Broward (Miramar, Pembroke Pines), but then you set yourself up for an unpleasant commute.

Jessemh431 posted before several months ago with similar questions. I really think she should check out Boca Raton: knowing what she is looking for, biotechnology at FAU while living in Boca may be useful, interesting, and pleasant.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami