Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 04:47 PM

9 posts, read 42,009 times

Advertisements

I applied to U of Miami law school and was wondering if their are any areas that a student could afford near the University.But after reading all these posts, it is rather scary. Is it really that bad? Would it be feasable to move to Ft. Lauderdale and commute to Miami? Are there areas I could move to outside of Miami proper that are safe. I have a wife and she will be working, I don't want anything to happen to her at or on the way to work. If it is so horrible, why did the real estate market sky rocket with the major increase in population? Wouldn't Miami have a negative population growth like Detroit if the city was so bad? I just want some honest feedback. Also, Im coming from Los Angeles, so Im rather use to traffic. Sitting on the freeway parked in one place for an hour is a normal thing here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 04:49 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,912,353 times
If your coming from LA, and you really don't mind traffic, than what the hell, go for Lauderdale. It doesn't really back up until you see the words "Entering Dade County" anyway.

Although I would just live somewhere in Coral Gables or South Miami. Pretty fun, nice area, right by school, plenty safe. It's really not worth the commute from Lauderdale when in all honesty, Coral Gables/South Miami isn't really a step down at all from that.

And the funny thing is that Fort Lauderdale and its surrounding areas are starting to experience a negative growth, and no, they aren't all that bad. Just way overpriced. Miami keeps on growing due to immigration.

Old 11-05-2007, 05:19 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,371,330 times
my wife used to go to U.M.

that commute will SUCK. You will definitly experience slow down and God forbid someone breaks down, then it will become a virtual stand still, even if the car is on the side of the road. I had to take her to and from U.M. from Broward and it was darn annoying.

Live in Miami, as for where maybe someone else can help you with that one. If you have the money parts of the grove are nice.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:22 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,466,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawguy24 View Post
I applied to U of Miami law school and was wondering if their are any areas that a student could afford near the University.But after reading all these posts, it is rather scary. Is it really that bad?
Yes, pretty much all of the negative posts about Miami, describe what is happening here. Miami has changed a lot in the last 10 years and its not for the good.

Quote:
Would it be feasable to move to Ft. Lauderdale and commute to Miami?
You could, but from what my cousins are telling me, southern Broward County is starting to have the same issues Miami is having. I would just live close to UM.

Quote:
Are there areas I could move to outside of Miami proper that are safe. I have a wife and she will be working, I don't want anything to happen to her at or on the way to work.
Not really, the crime/bad stuff happens all over the county. The only safer areas are gated communities and they still are not safe. It doesn't matter where you live in Miami-Dade you will have crime around you, thats the sad truth. For instance one of the richest areas, Star Island, a guy just got burgalarised while they were home, they caught him on cameras and got his license tag from the gaurd gate and cameras, so they should catch this guy soon. If you want to see the crime that has happened in the area that you want to live, try this website, it lists the reported crimes for the last month and a half (you most likely will not see anything less than 7 days as it takes that long to pop up). Miami-Dade County - My Neighborhood

Quote:
If it is so horrible, why did the real estate market sky rocket with the major increase in population?
It sky rocketed because of flippers and investors. Now many of these people are trying to dump what they purchased and can't. The devlopers are also having issues as in a year or less the market will be flooded with a these new condos that are being built, with not enough buyers. So the prices on those condos will come down, some have alredy started to come down. They were over inflated especially for that area, you couldn't pay me enough to live downtown.

Quote:
Wouldn't Miami have a negative population growth like Detroit if the city was so bad?
Well, you would think, but there are people like yourself that think Miami is great because they liked it while on vacation. Living in Miami is not like what you see on TV or like when you are on vacation here, or when you vacationed here as a kid. It truely has changed for the worse. I know 5 people that have moved to Miami in the last 3 years, some actually purchased places to live and have already sold and left, all 5 of them in less than 3 years. And I know about 15 people that have left Miami in the last 3 years, all for a better life.

I am not trying to scare you, I just want you to be aware.

Last edited by doggiebus; 11-05-2007 at 06:37 PM..

Old 11-05-2007, 06:23 PM

1,464 posts, read 1,027,121 times
There are plenty of decent places to live around campus.
Coral Gables is beautiful and safe.
Go to the website for the City of Coral Gables to get the feel of it
www.coralgables.com
and you could also google the Coral Gables Gazzette, the small local paper to check out real estate ads for rentals.

As mentioned, South Miami is also close and nice, as well.

(A commute from Ft. Lauderdale would be miserable..IMO)

Congrats on Law School and Good Luck!

Old 11-05-2007, 06:25 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,912,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post

You could, but from what my cousins are telling me, southern Broward County is starting to have the same issues Miami is having. I would just live close to UM.

Funny that you mention this. I noticed that coming out of NMB yesterday on 95 that although it was still a totally different world once you saw the words "entering Broward County", those burglar bars move further and further north every day!West Hallanadle is the pits, too, but it's always been.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post

Well, you would think, but there are people like yourself that think Miami is great. Miami is like what you see on TV or like when you are on vacation here, or when you vacationed here as a kid. It truely has changed for the worse. I know 5 people that have moved to Miami in the last 3 years, some actually bought and have already sold and left, all 5 of them in less than 3 years. And I know about 15 people that have left Miami in the last 3 years, all for a better life.
Actually its growing purely due to immigration. Net internal migration is negative.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 11-05-2007 at 06:36 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 11-05-2007, 09:06 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,962,532 times
My son is at UM now. He's living on campus this year, but has many friends who are renting houses in the area. He shared a house over the summer with one guy, and it was very reasonable, I think it came out to $350/week split between the 2 of them. The house was within easy walking distance of the campus. There are a lot of rentals if you don't need anything until next August. If you are starting in Jan it might be tougher to find something nearby. He has had no safety issues at all in the past 4 years, no theft problems either. He's very happy there.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:24 PM

1,352 posts, read 6,275,214 times
Quote:
I applied to U of Miami law school and was wondering if their are any areas that a student could afford near the University.But after reading all these posts, it is rather scary. Is it really that bad? Would it be feasable to move to Ft. Lauderdale and commute to Miami? Are there areas I could move to outside of Miami proper that are safe. I have a wife and she will be working, I don't want anything to happen to her at or on the way to work. If it is so horrible, why did the real estate market sky rocket with the major increase in population? Wouldn't Miami have a negative population growth like Detroit if the city was so bad? I just want some honest feedback. Also, Im coming from Los Angeles, so Im rather use to traffic. Sitting on the freeway parked in one place for an hour is a normal thing here.

The bad areas are just as bad as Detroit.....and that's where all the "negative" talk comes in.....i lived down there and grew up in Miami so i know what most of these people are talking about......Now if you are rich then Miami can be paradise if you stick to your little slice of heaven in your little neighborhood.....but the average middle class person living in Miami is exposed to things in it's suburbs even that most other cities don't see way out in the suburbs....I remember living near Miami Lakes and seeing homeless guys standing at the entrance ramps of the Palmetto Expressway all the time...not just random but they were always out there....and it was a nice area but there was a gang element in the majority of the youth out there unlike if you were living on the outskirts of most cities.....paradise is near the beach but inland is where you see alot of crap and it's where alot of people struggle to get by...

Old 11-06-2007, 12:02 PM

2,086 posts, read 7,646,035 times
The South Miami area around Sunset Place is a very cool place to live (I used to live there), and if you want to rent, there are nice places to be found at somewhat reasonable prices. Also, Coral Gables and some parts of Coconut Grove are pretty nice, if not a bit pricier. If you are looking at buying, most places around the Coral Gables campus are pretty pricey, but coming from LA, who knows what you might consider pricey . These areas are generally safe, but in Miami you have great areas right next to not so nice ones (Coconut Grove especially), so you should always be aware of your surroundings, etc. which I'm sure you already know, living in LA. I doubt that the crime is that much worse than LA's; if you know how to stay out of trouble, chances are you will be fine.

If you're interested in renting (HIGHLY recommended), check out UM's off campus housing board: Off-Campus Housing | University of Miami (http://www.sa.miami.edu/off-campus-services/off-campus-housing/ - broken link)

Good luck!

Old 11-07-2007, 01:52 PM

257 posts, read 1,058,574 times
Downtown Miami has some affordable apartments and it's not as far as Fort Lauderdale. It has/had a seedy reputation but it's not really like that anymore. I lived there for two years and never had a problem. You can even take the Metrorail to school. I also second South Miami near Sunset Place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami