Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 05:36 PM

129 posts, read 467,587 times

Advertisements

Hey,

I was looking at attending University of Miami in Coral Gables, and just had a couple questions.

First, do you think I would need a car? Or is the campus set up in a way that I could get around comfortably just by walking ?

Secondly how is the surrounding area? Safe/Dangerous etc?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 06:25 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,454,477 times
All in all if you want to get around in Miami you should have a car. But if you don't mind walking in the rain or humidity from Mid-May through November you can get by without a car, as things are within walking distance, or a short bus ride or metrofail ride from campus. Its just not the best way to get around in Miami.

The surrounding area is relatively safe by Miami standards. There is some crime around the campus, so you still need to be aware of your surroundings, never leave your doors unlocked, never leave important things in your car, etc.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:09 PM

129 posts, read 467,587 times
Thanks for the reply.

Also, are hurricanes something that UM students should be worried about? How often do they come? Sorry if that was a stupid question, but just sort of a mild concern.

Old 01-05-2009, 06:11 AM

224 posts, read 1,001,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blingnjkbling View Post
Thanks for the reply.

Also, are hurricanes something that UM students should be worried about? How often do they come? Sorry if that was a stupid question, but just sort of a mild concern.
Everyone should be concerned about hurricanes... Hurricane season is every year from June to November... This past season we had no hurricanes hit our area but they are around and the threat is always there even if they dont hit.... look at Cuba and Haiti this year... If they do hit and you live on campus, the University will probably take care of you... Off campus and you are on your own.

One other thing on cars... UM partnered with ZipCars (rent by the hour service) and the cars are parked on campus so you can rent for a couple of hours should you need a car and return right on campus....

Old 01-05-2009, 07:00 AM

Like spyderman33 said, everyone should be concerned about hurricanes. So during hurricane season turn on the local news for a few minutes every couple of days to stay updated. As to your question as to how often do they happen, we have been pretty lucky the last few years, but in 2005 we had 3 or 4 in that season. So you just never know, you just need to be prepared.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:59 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,924,278 times
Hey I'm a UM student right now. I love it here, and I'm never leaving Miami. The school is nice, and it is a great university and has so much to offer in all of the fields. A car.. hmm, I had a friend without a car, but god I'd never want to be in Miami without a car, in my opinion you wouldn't get a good experience in Miami without a car. You COULD, but it would be very confining and boring in my opinion.

Hurricanes? ahhh, you don't have to worry about this, I'm assuming you will be coming as a freshman so you'll be living on campus. The school is always prepared for a hurricane, and it is nothing you need to worry about because the buildings are safe and they have all the necessary supplies. Hurricanes aren't really the end of the world, and they don't hit that often.

If you have any more questions about the uni or miami feel free to ask

Old 01-05-2009, 03:52 PM

2,086 posts, read 7,643,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Hurricanes? ahhh, you don't have to worry about this, I'm assuming you will be coming as a freshman so you'll be living on campus. The school is always prepared for a hurricane, and it is nothing you need to worry about because the buildings are safe and they have all the necessary supplies. Hurricanes aren't really the end of the world, and they don't hit that often.
Coming from someone who has experienced how many hurricanes in the 1 year you have lived in Miami?

Hurricanes are something that are a fact of live in FL (the UM mascot isn't the Hurricanes just because the word sounds cool). While they may not directly hit the Miami area every year, such as in 2008, the potential is there. Growing up, I don't remember being affected by any hurricanes until Andrew, but I do remember threats which we prepared for.

I'm sure if you live on campus they will let you know what to do, but I wouldn't expect the school to hold your hand for everything. Make sure you are aware of the dangers associated with a storm and its aftermath, as well as what you need to do to be prepared. Hurricanes can be as mild as a thunderstorm or leave you homeless and without electricity for weeks. I've experienced both types as well as the ones that threaten but never show up - from Andrew to Katrina and Wlima (2005 was not a fun hurricane season in Miami). Each was different and presented different aftermath. I have only felt like I was going to die at one point in my life and that was during Andrew. Then again, I was out having dinner at Fox's when the power went out during Dennis. Storms are unpredictable, you just have to be prepared.

Hurricanes are not something you should take lightly. Arm yourself with knowledge and you'll be OK. Think that you don't have to worry about them and you might be sorry. They are acts of nature and should be respected.

You could probably get away with not having a car if you live on campus or in the Sunset Place vicinity. These areas are pretty safe, just use common sense that you would use in any major metro area. I really enjoyed living off of Red Rd. just South of Sunset - you are walking distance to a movie theater, restaurants, bars, shops, grocery store and metrorail, a bike ride from campus or hop on the metrorail. It probably would not be ideal to not have access to a car, but if Zipcar is offered on campus it is probably doable and would be less expensive than having to insure a car in Miami. Not to mention, you will probably make friends with at least one person who has a car!

Old 01-05-2009, 06:05 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,924,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiblue View Post
Coming from someone who has experienced how many hurricanes in the 1 year you have lived in Miami?

Hurricanes are something that are a fact of live in FL (the UM mascot isn't the Hurricanes just because the word sounds cool). While they may not directly hit the Miami area every year, such as in 2008, the potential is there. Growing up, I don't remember being affected by any hurricanes until Andrew, but I do remember threats which we prepared for.

I'm sure if you live on campus they will let you know what to do, but I wouldn't expect the school to hold your hand for everything. Make sure you are aware of the dangers associated with a storm and its aftermath, as well as what you need to do to be prepared. Hurricanes can be as mild as a thunderstorm or leave you homeless and without electricity for weeks. I've experienced both types as well as the ones that threaten but never show up - from Andrew to Katrina and Wlima (2005 was not a fun hurricane season in Miami). Each was different and presented different aftermath. I have only felt like I was going to die at one point in my life and that was during Andrew. Then again, I was out having dinner at Fox's when the power went out during Dennis. Storms are unpredictable, you just have to be prepared.

Hurricanes are not something you should take lightly. Arm yourself with knowledge and you'll be OK. Think that you don't have to worry about them and you might be sorry. They are acts of nature and should be respected.

You could probably get away with not having a car if you live on campus or in the Sunset Place vicinity. These areas are pretty safe, just use common sense that you would use in any major metro area. I really enjoyed living off of Red Rd. just South of Sunset - you are walking distance to a movie theater, restaurants, bars, shops, grocery store and metrorail, a bike ride from campus or hop on the metrorail. It probably would not be ideal to not have access to a car, but if Zipcar is offered on campus it is probably doable and would be less expensive than having to insure a car in Miami. Not to mention, you will probably make friends with at least one person who has a car!

{Mod Deleted} I didn't mean he doesn't have to prepare, but I was just telling him not too worry so much about them to the point of not choosing miami.

Last edited by sunrico90; 01-06-2009 at 03:17 PM.. Reason: Deleted off-topic

Old 01-06-2009, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I understand, but the OP is also a person coming for university. He doesn't have to worry about losing his house and everything he owns. In my opinion, I think that a hurricane in his situation (if it even hit) wouldn't be bad enough to justify missing out on the experience to be at a top university and in one of the most interesting cities of the US.

I'm not ruling out the effects of what a hurricane can do by any means.
Yes the original poster wouldn't have to worry about the dwelling, other than his/her own safety during a storm in that dwelling. But the OP would have to worry about food, water, electricity or lack of electricity after a hurricane. How to cook or get food after a hurricane when power is out. So even a college student should be aware and prepare somewhat before a hurricane. I remember when I was in college and a hurricane was coming. we prepared just case, got flash lights, some water and some food, and found a safe place to stay. So even though college students don't have to worry about the dwelling they still have to prepare and be aware. Most college students will be in town for the height of hurricane season August and September.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:52 PM

37 posts, read 144,303 times
I went to UM..I highly suggest you go there...it is a wonderful school and very well recognised.
The area is pretty safe in Coral Gables, but there are bad areas to the north in Miami.
You should have a car but could make it without one.

You always have to be prepared for a hurricane, which is not hard because the U will keep you informed and one good thing about hurricanes is the fact that you know a few days ahead of time if one is on its way. You can always fly out if you can afford to or just stay at the U..it is very safe there.

Another point to remeber is that while hurricanes are quite bad...not many deaths happen due to them( aside from a few bad ones in the last 100 years. In the northern cities more people per year die just from driving in ice and snow. However, if one like Andrew hits..which is not often..it can be very deadly..just always watch the news and take the warnings seriously and you should be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami