Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 08:30 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,326,555 times

Advertisements

University of Miami?

Pros and cons?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2007, 08:52 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,773,506 times
Depends on your major. Good for Law or Medicine, but the big con is the high tuition.

Old 09-21-2007, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Depends on your major. Good for Law or Medicine, but the big con is the high tuition.
Broadcast journalism

Old 09-21-2007, 02:30 AM

35 posts, read 107,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
What about MBA? Is it on par with UF? Because I would much rather move to Florida to live in Miami than Gainesville.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:41 AM

Default Help!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superpippo View Post
What about MBA? Is it on par with UF? Because I would much rather move to Florida to live in Miami than Gainesville.
Here are her choices thus far:

U of Florida, U of Miami, U of Central Florida and Flagler. Rollins was also mentioned to me.

Anyone?

thanks!

Old 09-21-2007, 09:32 AM

96 posts, read 344,926 times
grad or undergrad? UF is an excellent school for the money and one of the top MBA programs as well. They also have an MBA program in Weston if you don't want to live in Gainsville. UM is an okay school in my opinion. Overvalued. The remaining schools, FSU, UCF, FIU, NSU are decent but more locally focused and not too well known outside Florida.

Old 09-21-2007, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivcceo View Post
grad or undergrad? UF is an excellent school for the money and one of the top MBA programs as well. They also have an MBA program in Weston if you don't want to live in Gainsville. UM is an okay school in my opinion. Overvalued. The remaining schools, FSU, UCF, FIU, NSU are decent but more locally focused and not too well known outside Florida.
Actually USF is the second best public school in Florida (I think better than FSU, FIU and UCF) and what got me the job in Silicon Valley. It's also the second best Football Team. :-)

Old 09-21-2007, 10:52 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,479,340 times
I have said this before, going to UM for undergraduate or graduate studies all depends on what you are studying. I think that if you are going to school to become a teacher, UM isn't worth it. You can get just as good of an education if not better at any of these state schools. If you want to become a doctor or lawyer in South Florida and need the contacts and prestige of the UM name on your resume, UM will help. So it really depends on what you plan to study.

Also remember that the name UM on your resume will help to get you in the door of your first job, but after your first job, most employers don't weigh heavily where you went to school, they are then looking at your experience and who you have worked for.

BTW, A friend of friend got his MBA at FSU and is now the VP of E-Trade London.

Old 09-21-2007, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
I have said this before, going to UM for undergraduate or graduate studies all depends on what you are studying. I think that if you are going to school to become a teacher, UM isn't worth it. You can get just as good of an education if not better at any of these state schools. If you want to become a doctor or lawyer in South Florida and need the contacts and prestige of the UM name on your resume, UM will help. So it really depends on what you plan to study.

Also remember that the name UM on your resume will help to get you in the door of your first job, but after your first job, most employers don't weigh heavily where you went to school, they are then looking at your experience and who you have worked for.

BTW, A friend of friend got his MBA at FSU and is now the VP of E-Trade London.
Ok, but specifically MBA at UM? Is it worth it? Or better UF given the cost?

Old 09-21-2007, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivcceo View Post

Again, she is interested in Broadcast Journalism. She will start as a freshman. She scored high on her SAT's, has a 4.0 GPA and is Student Body President of a 3000 student high school in Scottsdale, Arizona. Not to mention she's a cutie-patootie.
She's looking to stay in a warm environment, would like to join a sorority, and really wants a campus atmosphere with rah-rah sports teams. I'm guessing a medium to large school would fit this bill.
I'm curious what the locals think about the schools and hopefully someone who has actually attended one will be able to paint a clearer picture for me.
We travel to Miami/South Beach several times during the winter and will visit the schools in January. My husband/her dad lives/works in PA (long story short - a tragedy happened to our family the week we moved from AZ TO PA. To assist in her healing, she and I moved back to AZ so she could finish high school. We will be moving back to PA when high school is finished.)
Cost is not a factor.
Thanks again!

Last edited by londonbarcelona; 09-21-2007 at 12:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami