Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 08:08 PM

26 posts, read 77,950 times

Advertisements

just curious,
What would be better, an MBA from FIU or an MBA from the University of Phoenix? I know there has to be some FIU MBA grads here...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 09:40 PM

147 posts, read 189,016 times
U of Phoenix is a bullsh*t university. I heard the Ft. Myers campus had a 9% graduation rate. They make most of their money by tricking people into taking single classes @ $1,500 a pop. Most end up dropping or failing as a result of confusion regarding due dates and the fast paced nature of the courses. (Courses are only 4 weeks long). U of Phoenix professors are like part time employees rather than faculty. Some people must do very well with that school, but I have heard nothing but horror stories. In my opinion, it is like ITT tech in the way it is marketed, and I don't think it qualifies as a real college.

O yea, as a current FIU student, I am insulted that you would even consider a mentioning fake school like University of Phoenix on the same line as a good school like FIU.

Old 04-13-2008, 09:48 PM

190 posts, read 812,240 times
I'm attending FIU for my MBA right now. My initial thought when the program began was what a joke it was, but it is tough and there is a lot of work involved. I'm not sure how much anyone cares about what you actually learn though. I'm still in my first semester and so far so good. I know if I didn't have years of work experience, a beautiful smile, and stellar personality that the degree alone wouldn't put me in competition with anyone. However, I'm pretty sure it's leaps ahead of the prestige of a University of Phoenix degree.
It's your choice but FIU actually has positive press and is featured in US News and World Reports, Business Week, and Princeton Review. U of P has no prestige or accolades whatsoever beside the fact that that's where Shaq got his MBA...I think. I guess it also depends on what you plan on doing with an MBA. For a job change U of P isn't the best option. For a promotion...maybe.

Old 04-14-2008, 11:57 AM

763 posts, read 3,521,159 times
It's kind of insulting to compare a really bad university like the University of Phoenix, which is a joke might I add, to one of the country's best MBA schools, FIU. They don't even compare. FIU consistently ranks high in its MBA program and is a very well-known, prestigious program, especially it's International Business program which is like top 10 in the U.S. last I read. FIU also just built two new Business buildings last year with a bunch of new resources, offices, classrooms, advising, and all that jazz. I'd definitely would go to FIU over U. of Phoenix any day, they don't compare at all, FIU is the better choice.

Old 04-14-2008, 01:15 PM

147 posts, read 189,016 times
Default U of Phoenix 6% Graduation Rate!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkagy View Post
It's kind of insulting to compare a really bad university like the University of Phoenix, which is a joke might I add, to one of the country's best MBA schools, FIU. They don't even compare. FIU consistently ranks high in its MBA program and is a very well-known, prestigious program, especially it's International Business program which is like top 10 in the U.S. last I read. FIU also just built two new Business buildings last year with a bunch of new resources, offices, classrooms, advising, and all that jazz. I'd definitely would go to FIU over U. of Phoenix any day, they don't compare at all, FIU is the better choice.
I totally agree. Especially if you live in Miami. FIU is not even in the same league. Not only that, U of Phoenix is a whole different sport! Thats right, it is not a college.

Here are a couple links filled with 1000's of horror stories. This school will cease to exist in a few years.

University of Phoenix Sucks.com!

University of Phoenix Staggers Under Growing Criticism

http://www.myuopmistake.com/ (broken link)

Old 04-14-2008, 10:03 PM

551 posts, read 3,112,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkagy View Post
FIU consistently ranks high in its MBA program and is a very well-known, prestigious program...
I'm not trying to be picky here, but FIU's Business School isn't even ranked by U.S. News & World Report (the standard source)...

Consequently however, University of Phoenix cannot compare to FIU in any way, shape, or form. I think University of Phoenix is widely considered a joke, while FIU is a respected four-year University.

Old 04-15-2008, 01:26 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,651,377 times
FIU is a state university, University of Phoenix is more like a scam. You should get a better value from FIU, and a decent education.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:03 AM

4 posts, read 17,907 times
Wow! A lot of bashing going on here for U of P. People calling it a nothing school. I have 25 years of experience in Technology. I went to undergrad elsewhere and went to Phoenix for my MS in MIS. I am doing fairly well with the degree. I teach, Manage and consult. I know people from FIU and schools like U of Mich that can't find a job. I know those from U of P that can't find a job right now and I also know those that are Executives making six fugures. I think U o P is great for those that are working people and need to get an advanced degree. Are there better schools? Sure. There are better schools than Phoenix or FIU but it is what you put into the program that makes a difference.

Old 02-06-2010, 02:43 PM

1 posts, read 10,161 times
I earned an MBA at UOP. Not online but in a real class. Each class was six weeks long. It was an extremely positive experience. The teachers were first class all the way. The curriculum was very relevant, but not easy at all. Perhaps the reason the graduation level is low (if that is true) is because the nature of this learning environment is not conducive to people who are not team players, or otherwise, cannot get their work done. I have been in other schools where you can skate by and graduate...but not at UOP. It is hard. The lazy people, or acedemically challenged, are just not going to make it through. What do you want to see...a graduation rate of 100%??? ...if anyone, and everyone got a diploma it wouldn't be worth much. Most of the graduates I knew were very smart and highly motivated individuals. Most already had professional careers in place. The people I knew that dropped out, for the most part anyway, just couldn't get the work done and didn't belong there...they needed to move on. Everybody wants a diploma, but in the real world not everybody deserves to get one...

Last edited by MBA Graduate; 02-06-2010 at 02:52 PM..

Old 02-07-2010, 10:15 AM

4,836 posts, read 11,952,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red305 View Post
just curious,
What would be better, an MBA from FIU or an MBA from the University of Phoenix? I know there has to be some FIU MBA grads here...
To even be asking this question is a joke. FIU. U of Phoenix is not a real school. I cant even write a response to this because it seems like such an obivous answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami