Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 10:04 AM

1 posts, read 1,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamian in nc View Post
There was a restaurant I used to go to with my parents when I was growing up. It was on Coral Way across the street from Sears. The building is still there; has a circular drive. I was reminiscing tonight on the phone with a friend of mine (we both grew up in Miami), and I cannot remember that restaurant's name. It was in the same era as Monk's Inn, which of course was also on Coral Way (same period as the old Studio restaurant). Does anyone remember the restaurant I'm referring to?
It was called "The Hub" and was a steakhouse, as I recall. My dad loved it and we ate there several times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 02:21 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,835,302 times
What address is that?
I mean in relation to where Coral Way and 37 avenue?

We used to eat at the Seven Seas on Red Road just north of Coral Way. I recall it due to the hard hat diver decor outside the main door. Restaurant still there. Diver gone a few years ago.

Old 08-24-2016, 02:41 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,802,181 times
Just found this thread and it makes me so happy and so nostalgic. So many awesome memories of growing up in CG. Been gone a long time, but still remember many of the places people have posted about!

Gulliver - Pre-school/Kindergarten
Sunset Road Elementary
Carver
Ponce
CGHS - Class of '76

Last edited by UNC4Me; 08-24-2016 at 02:58 PM..

Old 08-24-2016, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Loved the Miami Memories piece, Eldemila. What sweet memories in reading it. I was wrong about the fountain at Dadeland with it not being a dragon but a seahorse instead. Loved reading this!

The wonderful aroma of bread from Holsum in South Miami, Red Diamond Inn, Anthony Abraham's magical Christmas display, Monty Trainer's Village Inn (had the best French Onion Soup!), McCrory's...such happy times. There was a pie place too on Red Road near Sunset and that little five and dime store on Red Road as well which had everything you ever needed!

I remember all these! I remember trips to the 5 and Dime with my Mom and if I recall correctly, it was a couple storefronts down from Wolfie's Deli. The smell from Holsum Bakeries was legend and the Egg Nog from Farm Stores drive thru a must at Christmas time.

I honestly think growing up in CG (1958-1976) was an idyllic time. We ran wild and free and our mothers weren't a bit worried. They probably should have been given some of the stuff we got up too, but it was a childhood few today get to experience.

Last edited by UNC4Me; 08-24-2016 at 02:58 PM..

Old 08-24-2016, 03:37 PM

35,688 posts, read 21,042,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
I remember all these! I remember trips to the 5 and Dime with my Mom and if I recall correctly, it was a couple storefronts down from Wolfie's Deli. The smell from Holsum Bakeries was legend and the Egg Nog from Farm Stores drive thru a must at Christmas time.

I honestly think growing up in CG (1958-1976) was an idyllic time. We ran wild and free and our mothers weren't a bit worried. They probably should have been given some of the stuff we got up too, but it was a childhood few today get to experience.

Wolfies ahh... the poor carpet reeked last time I went-- but the corned beef ahhh they shut er down finally - sigh

Old 08-24-2016, 05:58 PM

564 posts, read 1,042,229 times
Me too 1958 to 1976 - our growing up years! I don't remember there ever being a Wolfie's there though. It was Marshall Major's when we used to go there. Maybe Wolfie's before or after that? The 5 and Dime was Red Sunset. Btw, is there still a 5 and Dime in the Grove, right next to Coconut Grove Elementary?

Hearing "The Hub" hits somewhere in my memory. Anyway, Felix C, that restaurant was near that plumbing company across from Sear's I think.

Oh boy, UNC4Me, that eggnog was like no other, wasn't it? The best! I remember when we poured it, it was so thick. Those truly were the good old days!

Old 08-24-2016, 06:01 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,835,302 times
Quote:
Me too 1958 to 1976 - our growing up years! I don't remember there ever being a Wolfie's there though. It was Marshall Major's when we used to go there. Maybe Wolfie's before or after that? The 5 and Dime was Red Sunset. Btw, is there still a 5 and Dime in the Grove, right next to Coconut Grove Elementary?

Hearing "The Hub" hits somewhere in my memory. Anyway, Felix C, that restaurant was near that plumbing company across from Sear's I think.

Oh boy, UNC4Me, that eggnog was like no other, wasn't it? The best! I remember when we poured it, it was so thick. Those truly were the good old days!
I will drive there this weekend and look for it. That is unless this approaching TS turns ugly.

Old 08-24-2016, 06:42 PM

Quote:

I won't even buy egg nog these days because it won't live up to expectations. The Farm Stores egg nog was almost the consistency of Elmer's Glue!

Maybe Wolfie's was on another street, but I thought it was there at one time. I'd forgotten the 5 and Dime was named Red Sunset. My mom used to take me there after picking me up at Sunset Elementary and I loved to roam the aisles looking at everything.

Good old days for sure! BTW I don't live in CG anymore. Now I'm down the road from you in Charlotte.

Old 08-24-2016, 09:16 PM

564 posts, read 1,042,229 times
UNC4Me, how right you are about the eggnog! Red Sunset was jam-packed with all kinds of stuff, and my mom used to say that the owner knew where every item was. I thought maybe you lived in Chapel Hill by your screen name but you sure aren't too far from me.

All of us here have great memories, don't we? Felix C, I remember Seven Seas too. My dad loved that place. We also used to love the Italian restaurant, Roma, I think was its name. It was right by Gables High in a little strip of stores, close to US1, almost at the intersection of S. Dixie Hwy.

Old 08-25-2016, 06:49 AM

Quote:
UNC4Me, how right you are about the eggnog! Red Sunset was jam-packed with all kinds of stuff, and my mom used to say that the owner knew where every item was. I thought maybe you lived in Chapel Hill by your screen name but you sure aren't too far from me.

All of us here have great memories, don't we? Felix C, I remember Seven Seas too. My dad loved that place. We also used to love the Italian restaurant, Roma, I think was its name. It was right by Gables High in a little strip of stores, close to US1, almost at the intersection of S. Dixie Hwy.

I went to college at UNC, but live in Charlotte. I remember Roma too! It was my dad's favorite. We sure were lucky to grow up in CG though. Wandering off the restaurant theme, some of my other favorites:

The Venetian Pool - As a kid I thought this was the coolest place EVER.
Vizcaya - My mother's favorite. Especially for the Easter Egg hunt.
The Seaquarium - I was obsessed with the machines at the entrance that made wax reliefs of dolphins.
Parrot Jungle - Didn't every kid get dragged here for a field trip at some point?
Crandon Park Zoo
The Goodyear Blimp - Quite the thrill when it flew over your house.
Merrie Christmas Park - I was in CG a while back and the banyan trees are still going strong in the park. I remember dragging a canoe to the park after some hurricane or another and paddling it around with friends.
Matheson Hammock - Used to ride our bikes here all the time.
Fairchild Tropical Gardens
The Canal System - We used to fish in the canals all the time as kids. And bring home and eat what we caught.
The CG Biltmore - When I was in HS, we all kinda thought it was haunted. This was during the period where it was boarded up and looked haunted. A few times we contemplated trying to get inside to look around, but always chickened out. Now it's a 5 star hotel.
Key Biscayne/Rickenbacker Causeway - When you skipped class in HS, you went to the beach for the day. There was something magical about flying over the Causeway with your friends anticipating the day and knowing everyone else was stuck in class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami