Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 02:36 PM

1 posts, read 2,296 times

Advertisements

You may be thinking of the Drum, which later became Europa. El Bolero became Monks Inn and in between there was a restaurant with Charlies in the name that did not last too long. What about Christy's on Ponce which was previously the Ledges and in between was a Jamaican Restaurant with Blue and White décor. Also on Coral Way was the Pied Piper. I go back a long way. We moved from the Grove to Coral Way and 19th Ave. in December of 1941.

Last edited by Liz Bond; 06-15-2019 at 02:37 PM.. Reason: I wrote because instead of became.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2019, 07:38 PM

1 posts, read 2,210 times
Default Biased and negative characterization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robb222 View Post
The Monks Inn was a local delight for years. Decorated as an old monastery and the wait staff wearing brown hooded robes, they served you hard monks rolls with a dollop of cream cheese, an apple and a few wedges of select cheese as the table appetizer. The by the glass wines were excellent as were the bottles. Salad was hand made in a huge bowl and served table-side. Mini lunch was a hit with local executives, the cheese appetizer, salad and a glass of wine for $5.95 was a deal. My favorite was the chopped sirloin steak with sauteed green beans, and potatoes of the day was awesome at $9.95. Paulette was a delightful European Lady who owned and ran the place. As the character of the area changed into a more trashy latin low budget, she gave up and left the area in disgust and opened in Orlando. Not sure how long she lasted there, but this was a major loss to this area, a lovely place with atmosphere and superior food.
We loved Monk's Inn, great food and fair prices. MDCC even had a Madrigal Supper event for 2 nights there in Dec. 1975 and it was a big hit. They made a giant Baked Alaska for dessert and seeing it flaming was quite a show. My fave was their Veal Cordon Bleu and blueberry cheesecake, we always tried to be seated in The Library section, with shelves of old books and WTMI's classical music playing over the speakers. Sorry as I was to find out Monk's Inn had closed when I returned from college, what I do take issue with is your take on why it went under, particularly the " character of the area changed into a more trashy latin low budget, she gave up in disgust and left the area" remarks you made. The facts simply do not support your assertions. Victor's Cafe was 1-2 blocks away on Coral Way & 32nd ave. and it was a high end, elegant place that was a staple for years. The same can be said for Yuca on Giralda. Nearby Coral Gables had and still has some of the finest restaurants in Miami. How is it they've all survived the "trashy Latin" element? Le Provencale is a similar type menu French restaurant that moved from its original location and reopened bigger and better on Miracle Mile. Even the great restaurants in Gables, Miami Beach, etc. can lose their appeal and go under for many reasons. Your contention that the Latin immigration somehow doomed Monk's Inn has no basis in fact and mostly reflects an anti Latin bias on your part.

Old 12-12-2019, 06:53 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Cuban Boy View Post
We loved Monk's Inn, great food and fair prices. MDCC even had a Madrigal Supper event for 2 nights there in Dec. 1975 and it was a big hit. They made a giant Baked Alaska for dessert and seeing it flaming was quite a show. My fave was their Veal Cordon Bleu and blueberry cheesecake, we always tried to be seated in The Library section, with shelves of old books and WTMI's classical music playing over the speakers. Sorry as I was to find out Monk's Inn had closed when I returned from college, what I do take issue with is your take on why it went under, particularly the " character of the area changed into a more trashy latin low budget, she gave up in disgust and left the area" remarks you made. The facts simply do not support your assertions. Victor's Cafe was 1-2 blocks away on Coral Way & 32nd ave. and it was a high end, elegant place that was a staple for years. The same can be said for Yuca on Giralda. Nearby Coral Gables had and still has some of the finest restaurants in Miami. How is it they've all survived the "trashy Latin" element? Le Provencale is a similar type menu French restaurant that moved from its original location and reopened bigger and better on Miracle Mile. Even the great restaurants in Gables, Miami Beach, etc. can lose their appeal and go under for many reasons. Your contention that the Latin immigration somehow doomed Monk's Inn has no basis in fact and mostly reflects an anti Latin bias on your part.
While I agree with your characterization of the post you quoted, I just want to point out that that post is from 2014 and the individual who made those comments has not been back to City-Data since then, so he most likely won't be seeing or responding to your rebuttal.

Old 12-14-2019, 03:02 PM

125 posts, read 93,381 times
There was a German restaurant, Zum alten Fritz, and a junk shop in the corner.

Old 12-19-2019, 12:38 PM

1 posts, read 2,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamian in nc View Post
I think it was where Havana Vieja is now. To my recollection, the building is right next door to a plumbing contractor. What I remember about the restaurant was that one of their salad options was a large wedge of iceberg lettuce. I used to get it with blue cheese dressing. Funny how certain memories stand out in our minds.
I believe the restaurant in Coral Gables on Douglas Rd that you are talking about that served the wedges of lettuce with blue cheese dressing for their salad was “The Hasta.”

Old 04-01-2021, 09:34 AM

3 posts, read 16,233 times
You may be thinking of the Cracked Crab. Wonderful clam chowder.

Old 03-01-2024, 07:35 AM

16,545 posts, read 8,584,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I grew up a few blocks away from Blue Grotto and still go back to that neighborhood as my parents are still in the same house. That sports bar didn't last long and is long gone. It was a pretty stupid idea to open a sports bar just a few blocks down the road from Duffy's.

But back to Blue Grotto....the building is still painted that garish green from the former sports bar, but it's currently vacant.
I just heard that Duffy's is up for sale, because the owner/s want to retire. They are making good money, but sadly the property and the one next door (where the repair shop is) are worth more to a developer, than selling to someone who wants to keep the Tavern going. Duffy's Tavern has been there for 70 years.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C3awg...dzZ2ZzdjR2dQ==

If they sell and Duffy's is torn down, many people will

BTW - If memory serves me correctly, my Godparents said the Blue Grotto owners moved their restaurant down to the Key's when they left the Gables.

Old 03-01-2024, 09:22 AM

415 posts, read 649,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I just heard that Duffy's is up for sale, because the owner/s want to retire. They are making good money, but sadly the property and the one next door (where the repair shop is) are worth more to a developer, than selling to someone who wants to keep the Tavern going. Duffy's Tavern has been there for 70 years.

BTW - If memory serves me correctly, my Godparents said the Blue Grotto owners moved their restaurant down to the Key's when they left the Gables.
That site has been shopped around for a while. I worked with a group that took a run at it a couple of years back. Rent's werent high enough for redevelopment but I'm sure we'll reach that point soon. It's days are definitely numbered.

Old 03-07-2024, 08:04 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post

Wow, the end of an era. I first started going to Duffy's for burgers and beer when I was an 18-year-old freshman* attending the U in 1974.

(*I was actually a sophomore because I "CLEP'ed out of my freshman year.)

Old 03-08-2024, 03:13 PM

16,545 posts, read 8,584,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Wow, the end of an era. I first started going to Duffy's for burgers and beer when I was an 18-year-old freshman* attending the U in 1974.

(*I was actually a sophomore because I "CLEP'ed out of my freshman year.)

Many a Mom & Pop in modern times cannot pass on the family business to kids who have no interest, or don't have the acumen to run it.
I have a friend in HI that has a successful coffee business, that allowed their kids to be highly educated and become a MD & PA respectively.
So even though the company is still thriving, and the parents want to retire, neither child is going to take it over since they have their own lucrative careers.

Duffy's was sold many decades ago (by Jack & Peggy Duffy) to the current ownership, who to their credit has kept it very much in line with its traditional past.
Yet they added to and improved the menu, bought and converted the next-door Farm Store for special events, created an outdoor covered venue that has entertainment, and even the auto repair shop which increased the much-needed parking for the growing business.
Believe it or not, they are still "cash only" yet people still come in droves, knowing even if they do not have enough cash, there is an ATM inside.
The owners are making good money to where its kitchen is making more profit than the liquor/beer sales which is not common for a tavern. But just like my friends in HI, they want to retire.

I am hoping to get to Miami this month, and if so, I will be headed to Duffy's, along with stops at Arbetter's Hot Dogs for lunch (much better than Pink's in LA), and Frankie's Pizza just west a couple of blocks on Bird Road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami