Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 02:43 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,014,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cholo57 View Post
This brings memories.
My first job as a teen, was bagging groceries at the Win Dixie on Coral Way and 13th..14th?
Back then we were "Bag Boys", a term that now days will raise more than an eyebrow.
The Winn Dixie is between 15th & 16th. It's just a few blocks from my house and I sometimes walk over there when I only need to pick up a couple of items, but other than that, I'll drive to the Publix on 27th Ave. or the Wynn Dixie on 32nd, which is much, much nicer. The W/D on 15th is small and old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cholo57 View Post
Don't know if it's still there or not, but there used to be a Navarro's Pharmacy with a lunch counter on the corner of 17th and Coral Way, they used to make a killer Roast beef sandwich.
The pharmacy is still there, but it is now Jorge's Pharmacy. Regrettably, there is no lunch counter anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2016, 04:22 AM

1,473 posts, read 1,328,901 times
On the Winnn Dixie strip mall there was a Dairy Queen, right? Facing, a shop that sold old stuff and a German restaurant. Don't quite recall any place for a cafecito around all that area, you had to jump to ocho. At that time, and for the money, that was the best area in Miami. Public transportation, safe, lots of trees, near to everything.

Old 09-11-2016, 07:00 PM

564 posts, read 1,042,424 times
Karstic, isn't that area the "Roads" section? Do they still call it that?

Old 09-11-2016, 09:30 PM

240 posts, read 262,060 times
Miami in the 60s and 70s! Wow! Imagine a day and age when people left home without locking every lock on the door and setting the home alarm system on high alert? German shepherds, 6+ walls, barb wire, spike walls/fences with shatp broken glass cemented on top. Miami of the 1960/70s, people were courteous to each other, and people had manners ... and people SPOKE ENGLISH.

Where can I buy a Time Machine?

Old 10-28-2016, 11:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,826 times
Beefsteak Charlies and Black Angus were amazing and I sure miss them. Sambos was cool but so is Denny's. The counter at Woolworth was nice. Lila's was surely better than Rio Cristal even though the Lilas owner later opened Rio Cristal with a partner and separated Lila was still better. I believe that was the story.

Also missing eateries: Hardees, Mr Donut on Coral Way and 87th avenue and Godfather's Pizza.

Old 10-30-2016, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Barbosa View Post
Miami in the 60s and 70s! Wow! Imagine a day and age when people left home without locking every lock on the door and setting the home alarm system on high alert? German shepherds, 6+ walls, barb wire, spike walls/fences with shatp broken glass cemented on top. Miami of the 1960/70s, people were courteous to each other, and people had manners ... and people SPOKE ENGLISH.

Where can I buy a Time Machine?

You can buy a time machine surrogate to travel to places that only exist in your imagination, what about magic mushrooms? Some Colombian stuff?

Old 10-30-2016, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvaldes95 View Post
Beefsteak Charlies and Black Angus were amazing and I sure miss them. Sambos was cool but so is Denny's. The counter at Woolworth was nice. Lila's was surely better than Rio Cristal even though the Lilas owner later opened Rio Cristal with a partner and separated Lila was still better. I believe that was the story.

Also missing eateries: Hardees, Mr Donut on Coral Way and 87th avenue and Godfather's Pizza.

I believe that Sambo and Denny's were the same concern, they just had to change the name and remove the black valet. I knew Lilas's owner, they should open again, the steak and straw fries and they had wine at a reasonable price. Habana Vieja, on Coral Way almost arriving to FIU?

Old 04-03-2017, 03:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,738 times
I was just reminiscing with my husband about the beef stroganoff at the Studio. It was the BEST ever! And those desserts, unbeatable. I used to go there with my HS sweetheart on a semi-regular basis. I don't think I have been to another restaurant that has given me such wonderful memories of good food and good company. It sure was amazing.

Old 08-11-2017, 01:32 PM

2 posts, read 3,306 times
Default Chrismas in Miami

i remember going to Rocky Graziano's, in the early 70's. what stand out was the red soft wall paper, the wedges of lettuce salads and the meal called a Flaming Vesuvius. This was a meal for the grand kids before the adults went out for New Years Eve.I think we ordered it because it came to the table on fire and what bot did not want to eat something on fire .
Also there was a pizza place in the Sky Lake Mall, it was near a game room I think was called the Fun Spot. The pizza came sliced in squares very thick crust and alot of cheese. This is 40 years age but if you dropped me of there I could walk right to it. I can still picture the place .
And we walked biked or took the bus every place and never once has a problem. A pack of kids between 10 and 17

Old 08-11-2017, 01:44 PM

2 posts, read 3,306 times
also, does anyone remember a place called the Golden Spike. I do not even recall what town it was in but I do remember my grandparents taking us there for birthday dinners and we would embarrass them by seeing who could eat the most ribs. It was always fun to make my Grandmother cringe , 7 grandsons made her happy and mortified at the same time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami