Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 07:57 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,180,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvaldes95 View Post
Beefsteak Charlies and Black Angus were amazing and I sure miss them. Sambos was cool but so is Denny's. The counter at Woolworth was nice. Lila's was surely better than Rio Cristal even though the Lilas owner later opened Rio Cristal with a partner and separated Lila was still better. I believe that was the story.

Also missing eateries: Hardees, Mr Donut on Coral Way and 87th avenue and Godfather's Pizza.
Went to Lila's once, and that once I saw the mouse crawl across the floor and up in to the checkout counter, it was the last time I went there. I was definitely a Rio Cristal fan until I moved to the Carolina's. I so miss good Cuban food, there is none here, sadly! I miss good flan!!!! Thankfully, my sister brings me Shorty's sauces, and coleslaw once a year. Just had my fix 2 weeks ago! Next year I need her to bring me some pastelito's de queso...and some cheesecake flan...I miss that too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2017, 03:15 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,127,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
Went to Lila's once, and that once I saw the mouse crawl across the floor and up in to the checkout counter, it was the last time I went there. I was definitely a Rio Cristal fan until I moved to the Carolina's. I so miss good Cuban food, there is none here, sadly! I miss good flan!!!! Thankfully, my sister brings me Shorty's sauces, and coleslaw once a year. Just had my fix 2 weeks ago! Next year I need her to bring me some pastelito's de queso...and some cheesecake flan...I miss that too!
I bought a good Cuban cookbook several years ago. 'A Taste of Cuba (Recipes from the Cuban-American community)' by Linette Creen

I bet it is available on Amazon.

Old 02-05-2018, 08:12 AM

1 posts, read 1,431 times
Default Coral Way across the street from Sears

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamian in nc View Post
There was a restaurant I used to go to with my parents when I was growing up. It was on Coral Way across the street from Sears. The building is still there; has a circular drive. I was reminiscing tonight on the phone with a friend of mine (we both grew up in Miami), and I cannot remember that restaurant's name. It was in the same era as Monk's Inn, which of course was also on Coral Way (same period as the old Studio restaurant). Does anyone remember the restaurant I'm referring to?
It was Sambos then became Dennys

Old 02-08-2018, 06:52 AM

672 posts, read 442,828 times
Charles Chips
Regal beer
Royal bakery
Don Allen Chevrolet

Good times

Old 10-29-2018, 10:41 AM

1 posts, read 1,271 times
Smile The Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey philly View Post
The Caesar Salad at the Studio Restaurant on Coral Way- I worked there in the '60's, Duck l'orange-a classic. Does anyone have details on the ONION soup or any other dishes? Leftover French garlic bread was made into croutons and fresh Gruyeure broiled on top of crock. Now it all coming back, and some seafood casarole was big seller
I am so happy to see that someone else remembers The Studio. This was my childhood restaurant. So many great memories. I am trying to find anyone that has any of the recipes. The filet mignonette on the wood plank. The meatballs. IT WAS AMAZING.

Old 10-29-2018, 11:41 AM

1,790 posts, read 1,413,482 times
By now it must be ~~El Estudio~~ !!!! hehehehehehehe

Old 10-29-2018, 12:13 PM

18,438 posts, read 8,268,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eida512 View Post
I am so happy to see that someone else remembers The Studio. This was my childhood restaurant. So many great memories. I am trying to find anyone that has any of the recipes. The filet mignonette on the wood plank. The meatballs. IT WAS AMAZING.
eida..I have Freddie's house salad recipe...

2/3 cup cottonseed oil or light vegetable oil

1/3 cup cider vinegar

1 tablespoon yellow mustard

About 1 teaspoon dried oregano

1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese

...crushed garlic and croutons added if you want

Veal Oscar was my favorite

Old 11-04-2018, 08:00 PM

622 posts, read 427,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvaldes95 View Post
Beefsteak Charlies and Black Angus were amazing and I sure miss them. Sambos was cool but so is Denny's. The counter at Woolworth was nice. Lila's was surely better than Rio Cristal even though the Lilas owner later opened Rio Cristal with a partner and separated Lila was still better. I believe that was the story.

Also missing eateries: Hardees, Mr Donut on Coral Way and 87th avenue and Godfather's Pizza.

All that area was the ancient Greek neighborhood and there were Greek restaurants. Lila's was nice, but at my time it was at calle ocho, the steak with straw chips.

Old 11-04-2018, 08:14 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,180,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
eida..I have Freddie's house salad recipe...

1/3 cup cider vinegar

...crushed garlic and croutons added if you want

Veal Oscar was my favorite
Saw the recipe on line, with a little more detail for directions:

THE STUDIO’S HOUSE SALAD

1/3 cup cider vinegar
1 garlic clove, peeled
1 head Romaine lettuce
1/4 cup garlic-flavored croutons
Salt and pepper

Whisk together the oil, vinegar and mustard. Stir in the oregano and cheese. Smash the garlic clove with the flat of a knife and rub the bottom of a wooden salad bowl with it. Tear the lettuce into the bowl. Stir the dressing again and drizzle over lettuce as desired. Toss with croutons, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Makes about 1 1/4 cups dressing; salad serves 4, but you will have additional dressing which can be refrigerated for later use.

Here's a link to the Studio's Chocolate Mousse recipe

https://www.theswisscenter.org/the-s...hocolate-mouse

[LEFT][CENTER][LEFT]THE STUDIO'S CHOCOLATE MOUSSE
We share the simplified, quick version to try at home.
  • 4 egg whites
  • ½ cup heavy cream
  • 2 cups cold milk
  • 3 ounces dry sherry or raspberry liqueur
  • 1 (4-serving-size) package instant chocolate pudding mix
  • 1 (4-serving-size) package instant vanilla pudding mix
Beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until stiff; set aside. In another bowl, whip the cream until stiff; set aside.

In a third bowl, combine the milk and sherry. With the electric mixer, gradually beat in the dry chocolate pudding mix, then the vanilla pudding mix until smooth. Let stand 5 minutes.

Fold the egg whites, then the whipped cream into the pudding, taking care not to over-mix. Chill. Makes 10 servings.

Per serving: 130 calories (44 percent from fat), 6 g fat (4 g saturated), 23 mg cholesterol, 4 g protein, 11 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 220 mg sodium.
[/LEFT][/LEFT][/CENTER]

[LEFT]

[/LEFT]

Old 01-02-2019, 08:05 AM
ili

1 posts, read 1,151 times
my friend and I were remeniscing about Miami in the 70's
there was a wonderful Italian restaurant on NW 79th St close to the Cathedral and later moved to Coral Gables on LeJeune where Havana Harry's is now. Neither of us can remember the name. They had wonderful Zuppa de Pesce
anyone know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami