Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2023, 08:39 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,255,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
marino760 I agree with you on the polls. I've noticed polls in KY state elections tend to skew towards Dem candidates and then on election day, the Dem usually loses and often by large percentages, but that's certainly not a scientific observation on my part,
Well, you can tank that theory, when Beshear won....lol, I was shocked at the win....my son said, his father was hugely corrupt? I don't know myself, didn't follow it when I lived in PA...

Quote:
I think a lot of polls tend to reflect Louisville and Lexington which of course are Dem strongholds. I don't think very many people in small to midsize towns throughout the state ever get polled and they are the ones that determine most statewide elections.

I certainly hope your right!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2023, 09:08 AM

17,339 posts, read 11,266,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Well, you can tank that theory, when Beshear won....lol, I was shocked at the win....my son said, his father was hugely corrupt? I don't know myself, didn't follow it when I lived in PA...

I certainly hope your right!
Beshear won for a lot of reasons no one talks about including the incumbent governor making enemies with many people including the teachers union. He was on the news constantly saying obnoxious things about teachers because of a pay increase they were seeking. He was disliked by many republicans, not just democrats. Even so, that election was surprisingly close. I wasn't living here at that time, but he basically defeated himself. Almost any democrat could have run against him and won. You have to be extremely disliked by both sides to be a republican governor and lose reelection in KY.
Oldhag, our fearless moderator could probably write a book on this topic.

Last edited by marino760; 07-30-2023 at 09:38 AM..

Old 07-30-2023, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Beshear won for a lot of reasons no one talks about including the incumbent governor making enemies with many people including the teachers union. He was on the news constantly saying obnoxious things about teachers because of a pay increase they were seeking. He was disliked by many republicans, not just democrats. Even so, that election was surprisingly close. I wasn't living here at that time, but he basically defeated himself. Almost any democrat could have run against him and won. You have to be extremely disliked by both sides to be a republican governor and lose reelection in KY.
Oldhag, our fearless moderator could probably write a book on this topic.
well, he gave an early release to 1,700 criminals, which infuriates me b/c my son is a police officer. You may have heard about the officer who was shot recently...the guy had a rap sheet a mile long....these people who are going easy on criminals are making it so difficult for law enforcement and law abiding citizens.

If someone would have been doing their job they way they should, our law enforcement officer would have never been shot...the criminal should have been in prison. He stood over the officer and kept shooting him....God only knows how he's still alive? But thank God he is....this whole town was shook.

When the officer was shot, Beshear stood there on TV and said he and his wife are saying prayers, and I yelled at the TV, "well then do something about it, this guy should have never been walking around free"....this is a big big problem with our entire country....don't pray, do something about it, pray later....that officer was and still is in bad shape.

I wonder how many times those 17 hundred criminals have been reassrested since by law enforcement....and Andy claims to have created jobs, by letting criminals go, he uses up so much of the tax payers money on re-arrests....the officers time, and reports, we pay for representation for them, pay for meals, imprisionment, etc...you name it....most criminals not all but most are criminals their whole lives, and started very young.

Build more prisions, we need them, a lot....people dont' understand why it takes so long for police to get to their calls, it's because they are so busy rearresting criminals over and over again....only to have the judges leave them go...it's a never ending battle, going south very quickly.

And why people don't start telling our leaders they are sick of it, is beyond my comprehension...

I've read that Andy supports teachers to secretly encourage children to engage in changing genders

he also supports making it easier for minors to get abortions....

He also supports allowing schools to refer children to psychological treatment without telling their parents.

I don't know, seems like a war on parents and law abiding citizens of Kentucky.

Had heard that Bevin was not very popular with Kentuckians...I don't know...I came here at the end of his term and was shocked, Andy beat him.

I fear is Andy wins again, Kentucky will turn into another California.

Last edited by cremebrulee; 07-30-2023 at 04:06 PM..

Old 07-30-2023, 05:17 PM

14,767 posts, read 8,097,050 times
Bevins (the Republican Gov. before Beshear) was hated by a lot of people in the state, it was almost as if he was trying to be a villian and not get re-elected. And talk about someone Pardoning convicts~
He pardoned Murders, child rapists, A man who beheaded a woman and stuffed her body in a barrel, and Bevins acted like he Pardoned these criminals out of spite to voters who didn't re-elect him.

Quote:
During a radio interview with Terry Meiners on WHAS radio in Louisville, Meiners questioned Bevin about the pardons he made before he left office on Dec. 10 after he lost his bid for re-election on Nov. 5.

"There’s a child rapist, there’s someone who beheaded a woman," Meiners said.

"Which one are you talking about?" Bevin asked.

"A child rapist," Meiners stated.

"Which one, though? Because there were a couple of people that were accused of that whose sentences I commuted," Bevins responded.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...apist-n1105661
Quote:
Delmar Partin was convicted of strangling a woman and stuffing her body in a barrel.

Micah Schoettle was sent to prison after a middle schooler testified that he had repeatedly sexually assaulted her, starting from the time she was 9.

Patrick Baker was found guilty of killing a man and impersonating a United States marshal during a robbery.

All three men walked out of prison this week after Kentucky’s outgoing governor, Matt Bevin, issued more than 400 pardons and commutations during the final days of his administration.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/13/u...ky-crimes.html
Quote:
Man pardoned by former Kentucky Gov. Matt Bevin sentenced to nearly 40 years in prison
for Murder
https://www.wymt.com/2022/01/18/man-...ederal-murder/
Quote:

Man pardoned by former Kentucky Gov. Matt Bevin convicted in first of 3 strangulation cases

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...n/10814710002/
Bevins polled as one of the countries least popular Governors during his term.
But his attacking the teachers and the teachers union really did him in.

Quote:
Gov. Matt Bevin was praising Kentuckians as “the most hospitable people on the earth,” but you could barely make out his remarks over the chorus of boos. He was speaking in May at the Kentucky Derby’s trophy presentation, and observers would later debate whether the jeers were intended for Bevin, who polls show is the nation’s most unpopular governor, or for race officials, who had disqualified the favorite and Triple Crown contender, Maximum Security. The answer, it seemed, was a little of each.
https://www.motherjones.com/politics...-donald-trump/
And as unpopular as Bevins was, Beshear barely beat him.
Although since Beshear has polled as one of the most popular Democratic Governors....but still the state as a whole is very red.

Quote:

In 2019, then-state Attorney General Andy Beshear (D) narrowly beat then-incumbent Gov. Matt Bevin (R). Bevin was originally elected in 2015 to replace Beshear’s father, who was term-limited as governor. Bevin, an anti-establishment conservative, burnt a few too many bridges during his term and, despite the state’s friendly lean, was weighed down by poor approval ratings.
Now, facing reelection himself, Beshear is in essentially the opposite situation as Bevin was 4 years ago. According to Morning Consult’s April 2022 polling, Beshear was the most popular Democratic governor in the country. In Morning Consult’s more recent October 2022 poll, he retained that title. But Kentucky is also the reddest state (by 2020 presidential results) that currently has a Democratic governor — so, as impressive as Beshear’s approvals are, they are not necessarily enough to guarantee reelection.
https://centerforpolitics.org/crysta...overnor-races/

Last edited by Crazee Cat Lady; 07-30-2023 at 05:45 PM..

Old 07-30-2023, 05:24 PM

Quote:
I've read that Andy supports teachers to secretly encourage children to engage in changing genders
^He strongly denies that he supports gender reassignment surgery for minors.
He says it has never even happened in Kentucky.
Democratic governor pushes back against transgender-related attacks by GOP in Kentucky campaign

Quote:
FRANKFORT, Ky. (AP) — Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear is pushing back hard against Republican efforts to cast him as an advocate of gender reassignment surgery for minors, saying his detractors have misrepresented his position and invoking his Christian faith and support for parental rights to explain why he vetoed a measure that banned gender-affirming care for children.

Beshear, a Democrat seeking a second term in a race that could test the political potency of Republican messaging on transgender issues, said in an interview that he has always opposed gender reassignment surgery for children.

“My position on this has always been clear,” Beshear said. “I have never supported gender reassignment surgery for minors, and they don’t happen in Kentucky.”

It’s a direct response to what he says is a patently false Republican narrative that suggested he supports such surgeries. The Courier Journal has reported there is no record of such surgeries for minors happening in Kentucky.

https://apnews.com/article/transgend...1767cae052a413
-----------------------
https://www.kentuckyfried.com/beshea...gery-not-true/

Quote:
I fear is Andy wins again, Kentucky will turn into another California.
Quote:
At the state level, Democratic governors have led Kentucky for 64 of the past 76 years. The state has only elected three Republican governors since World War II—in 1967, 2003, and 2015—each of whom served a single term.

https://ballotpedia.org/Andy_Beshear

Since 1859 Kentucky has had 9 Republican Governors and 34 Democrat Governors.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...rs_of_Kentucky
Since WWII only three Republicans have been elected Governor and none of those were re-elected.

We haven't turned into California yet!
Besides, Beshear is about as Moderate as you can get.

So while we always vote Red in Presidential Elections and for the General Assembly, it's not always so for the Governor's race.

Does anyone know if we elect the Governor through popular vote or through the electoral college vote like we do the Presidency?

Last edited by Crazee Cat Lady; 07-30-2023 at 06:16 PM..

Old 07-30-2023, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady
Daniel Cameron supported and supports Donald Trump.
For that very reason alone, I would never vote for him. Period.
Or anyone who had supported Trump. That reason alone, makes it a no-go for me.

Beshear all the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark abby View Post
so, you vote on your emotions and not the issues at hand?

i can see why biden got elected.
I do not see it as being emotional. I see it as being Patriotic and being a proud America.
I don't vote for party affiliation, I vote for who I think will do the best job.
Just because we disagree, there is no need for so much animosity. It doesn't mean I hate you or anyone.
We just have different opinions. It happens!
I was planning on voting for Biden, but got sick and wasn't able to get out and vote that day.
(Not because I like Biden....oh no....but I wanted Trump out.)
Believe it or not, I was a Republican my whole life until Trump.
I tried voting independent before and that just did nothing but get Clinton elected! So wasn't going to waste the vote....that I ended up not using any way.

Last edited by Crazee Cat Lady; 07-30-2023 at 06:13 PM..

Old 07-30-2023, 06:45 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,880,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
Bevins (the Republican Gov. before Beshear) was hated by a lot of people in the state, it was almost as if he was trying to be a villian and not get re-elected. And talk about someone Pardoning convicts~
He pardoned Murders, child rapists, A man who beheaded a woman and stuffed her body in a barrel, and Bevins acted like he Pardoned these criminals out of spite to voters who didn't re-elect him.

Bevins polled as one of the countries least popular Governors during his term.
But his attacking the teachers and the teachers union really did him in.

And as unpopular as Bevins was, Beshear barely beat him.
Although since Beshear has polled as one of the most popular Democratic Governors....but still the state as a whole is very red.

Nice try cat, but, this election ain't about Bevin or Trump...Focus, and try to get Trump out of your head.

Old 07-30-2023, 07:28 PM

^I was just following the earlier posts and pointing out that the last Governor's race was not really a normal race at all.

Old 07-30-2023, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Crazee Cat Lady ^He strongly denies that he supports gender reassignment surgery for minors.
He says it has never even happened in Kentucky.
Democratic governor pushes back against transgender-related attacks by GOP in Kentucky campaign

-----------------------
https://www.kentuckyfried.com/beshea...gery-not-true/

Since WWII only three Republicans have been elected Governor and none of those were re-elected.
thank you for your input, we'll see, I don't trust the man, especially after what he said, and other issues....so we'll see

Quote:
We haven't turned into California yet!
No not yet, but.....

Quote:
Does anyone know if we elect the Governor through popular vote or through the electoral college vote like we do the Presidency?
I can't answer that question, I don't know, perhaps someone else can.

Old 07-31-2023, 02:39 AM

17,339 posts, read 11,266,024 times
The electoral college is only used for Presidential elections. All governor races are popular vote.

I agree with Hogsrus about staying focused on the gubernatorial race. This is why I truly like and appreciate how KY has their race for governor on a different year than the presidential race.
People can stay focused and go to the polls and vote for the governor not the president. The waters aren't so muddied with the national election. It's a smart move by KY to do it this way as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited by marino760; 07-31-2023 at 02:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky