Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2011, 08:52 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,273,774 times

Advertisements

Gasp, AACK, crud. Thanks for noticing that. I assure everyone that I have not gone insane and well, liberal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 08:55 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elousv View Post
Gasp, AACK, crud. Thanks for noticing that. I assure everyone that I have not gone insane and well, liberal.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:56 AM

382 posts, read 1,032,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmadsm View Post
This whole grizzly shooting thing bothers me.

Why is it that human life has become last in the food chain? You can't protect yourself or children from grizzlies...let alone your livestock.

Yet if there is stray livestock on a freeway due to an owner not having a fence, and you run into said animal...you must pay for those damages as well.
So you can't kill the bear, you must let the bear kill the cow, and you cant kill the cow either!

I just want to say that there used to be an Elk ranch up by port hill. Now I never heard of any grizzly attacks on the ranch. Grizzlies like to eat elk. Now the elk were livestock. They butchered them for food. Now if the person who owns the elk ranch can keep the bears out and the elk in maybe ranchers need to build the type of fence that he has. It seemed to work. Usually the typical pen in this case a pig pen may have been too inadequate for protecting pigs from bears. Living in Port Hill is definitely in grizzly bear country. It would be akin to me putting in a cattle ranch in Alaska and not expecting my cows to be attacked. You have to protect your investment and the animals who inhabit the same space. The grizzly bear used to be all over the west. Even In the CDA region. I would say that bears eating livestock is why they are dead for the most part. Same goes for wolves. Now if these ranchers would have put up adequate fencing like the Elk farmer has to do I would bet that the bears would have stayed out. Make it difficult to get in and they stay out.

Also ranchers attract bears by their feeding practices. Humans are no different. How many humans come for a free lunch? If someone is giving a free ride humans will take it. And then consequently get upset when they can't get a free meal or free money or whatever it is. People and bears are a lot alike really. It's sad that people move into remote places and romanticize it to a point that they forget that in paradise there is danger. And they come ill prepared to deal with life in the wild then complain that where they live is unsafe. When all they had to do was put up a suitable fence to keep the wildlife out. I propose that the state make it illegal to have livestock without suitable fences put in place. That way the animals who live in the forest are protected from the farmers and their livestock. And everyone is happy...

Old 09-08-2011, 08:56 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,895,438 times
There has been several mountain lion and bobcat sightings in downtown Boise and BSU recently. This is sad...a lion had to be killed at St. Alphonsus Hospital in Boise early this morning, but a wild animal like this hanging out by a major regional hospital is a threat. The deputy who shot it said it appeared ready to attack, so chill out overly politically correct peeps!! Guess this and all other wildlife in Boise is a reminder we live in a wild place

Juvenile mountain lion shot and killed just off Curtis Road in Boise | Boise, Garden City, Mountain Home | Idaho Statesman (http://www.idahostatesman.com/2011/09/08/1790418/juvenile-mountain-lion-shot-and.html - broken link)

Juvenile mountain lion shot and killed just off Curtis Road in Boise
Idaho Statesman reports - Idaho Statesman
Published: 09/08/11

An Ada County Sheriff’s deputy shot and killed an 80-pound juvenile mountain lion on the grounds of Saint Alphonsus Regional Medical Center early Thursday morning.

The mountain lion was first spotted by a resident in the Curtis Road/Orchard Street neighborhood around midnight Wednesday, according to Boise police. The mountain lion was seen a second time in the same area around 3 a.m.

http://media.idahostatesman.com/smedia/2011/09/08/07/40/K6jnC.St.36.jpg (broken link)
http://media.idahostatesman.com/smedia/2011/09/08/07/40/K6jnC.St.36.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by Syringaloid; 09-08-2011 at 09:06 AM..

Old 09-08-2011, 12:09 PM

And the question we have to ask is why was the mountain lion so close to town? Are there a lot of deer in the area? And are the deer coming down into yards to feed? Which of course will make a mountain lion come to town. In North Idaho I have seen mountain lions very close to Cda. There are a lot of deer all over around town. Dalton Gardens has a lot of deer running around. People from the city treat them like pets. Problem is they attract the mountain lions to follow them so that they can eat. Every deer I saw in the woods ran when it saw me. In Dalton they would almost let you walk up to them. Deer are not pets. But since they have a lot of feed why would they go some place else to eat? Just like any animal they go for the path of least resistance.

It;s too bad that they had to kill the cat. Problem is it would have just come back, So putting it down was the only solution.

I am not overly politically correct. Just using common sense. If a predator is in the area there is a reason why. And we need to find out the reasons why so we can fix the problem and keep nature where we like it and us safe from it. That's all no need for name calling....

Old 09-08-2011, 01:22 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,895,438 times
ejay, I believe you misunderstood what I meant about "politically correct" and whom I was directing it to, and it is not name calling. (Sorry you misunderstood, but I am referring to many people outside of Idaho and the west who posted in the thread within the Politics and Other Controversies sub-forums regarding the grizz in North Idaho and their--meaning the other forumers-- warped misguided views on us in the wild west and how they think we should control wild animals around humans).
To answer your question about deer, Boise has a lot of wildlife, deer living along the river throughout the length of the city and even in downtown, bears have travelled from the mountains by town into the inner city before, an elk was running through busy downtown streets during rush-hour a few winters ago, there are even wolves living up in the mountains in sight of downtown. I have even seen deer on the interstate by the airport early morning this Spring. A friend of mine who works for the local zoo once said Boise has the largest problem/issue of dealing with wildlife of any city in Idaho, the city is built in a valley once used by thousands of beasts and they still want to use their river valley which is now a city.

Here is an update with a lot more information:

Juvenile mountain lion shot and killed just off Curtis Road in Boise | Boise, Garden City, Mountain Home | Idaho Statesman (http://www.idahostatesman.com/2011/09/08/1790418/juvenile-mountain-lion-shot-and.html - broken link)

Idaho Fish and Game officials say it was the right move for an Ada County Sheriff’s deputy to shoot and kill a juvenile mountain lion in the Saint Alphonsus Regional Medical Center Parking lot early Thursday morning.

District Conservation Officer Bill London said Thursday he was pretty sure the lion was the same one that was spotted over the past several weeks by the Boise River near Julia Davis Park and East Boise Avenue, which was evidence the mountain lion was becoming “habituated” to an urban environment.

“It wasn’t showing that fear of people,” most wild animals do that find themselves in an urban environment and was developing into a threat to public safety, London said.

The deputy killed the mountain lion “professionally, humanely, and correctly,” London said.

http://media.idahostatesman.com/smedia/2011/09/08/10/31/WFkkO.St.36.JPG (broken link)
http://media.idahostatesman.com/smedia/2011/09/08/10/31/WFkkO.St.36.JPG (broken link)
Idaho Fish and Game District Conservation Officer Bill London with the juvenile mountain lion shot and killed by an Ada County Sheriff's deputy early Tuesday morning. The deputy did the right thing because it appears the mountain lion was becoming "habituated" to an urban area, London said.

click the link for the rest of the article.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
ejay, I believe you misunderstood what I meant about "politically correct" and whom I was directing it to, and it is not name calling. (Sorry you misunderstood, but I am referring to many people outside of Idaho and the west who posted in the thread within the Politics and Other Controversies sub-forums regarding the grizz in North Idaho and their--meaning the other forumers-- warped misguided views on us in the wild west and how they think we should control wild animals around humans).
To answer your question about deer, Boise has a lot of wildlife, deer living along the river throughout the length of the city and even in downtown, bears have travelled from the mountains by town into the inner city before, an elk was running through busy downtown streets during rush-hour a few winters ago, there are even wolves living up in the mountains in sight of downtown. I have even seen deer on the interstate by the airport early morning this Spring. A friend of mine who works for the local zoo once said Boise has the largest problem/issue of dealing with wildlife of any city in Idaho, the city is built in a valley once used by thousands of beasts and they still want to use their river valley which is now a city.

Here is an update with a lot more information:

Idaho Fish and Game officials say it was the right move for an Ada County Sheriff’s deputy to shoot and kill a juvenile mountain lion in the Saint Alphonsus Regional Medical Center Parking lot early Thursday morning.

District Conservation Officer Bill London said Thursday he was pretty sure the lion was the same one that was spotted over the past several weeks by the Boise River near Julia Davis Park and East Boise Avenue, which was evidence the mountain lion was becoming “habituated” to an urban environment.

“It wasn’t showing that fear of people,” most wild animals do that find themselves in an urban environment and was developing into a threat to public safety, London said.

The deputy killed the mountain lion “professionally, humanely, and correctly,” London said.

Idaho Fish and Game District Conservation Officer Bill London with the juvenile mountain lion shot and killed by an Ada County Sheriff's deputy early Tuesday morning. The deputy did the right thing because it appears the mountain lion was becoming "habituated" to an urban area, London said.

click the link for the rest of the article.

Sorry! I completely understand! And your right.

I think man has to start reevaluating where and how he builds his cities. The animals will do whatever they have to do to get a meal. We would do the same thing under the circumstances. With the rapid growth in Idaho a lot of conflict is happening with dangerous animals. In ways that were never there before. I hope that they can figure it out before anyone gets hurt...

Old 09-10-2011, 11:47 AM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Mountain lions have always hung around cities here. They are opportunistic, and can become urbanized pretty quickly, especially the juvenile males. These young males are often run out of the best hunting areas by other lions before their hunting skills are fully developed.

It used to be that farms close to cities were the places that lions were most spotted, but sprawl offers them a lot more easy food with less alertness. Farm animals raise just as much of a ruckus as farm dogs do when a lion is close by, but subdivisions don't have chickens, horses, cattle and hogs to raise the alarm, and there are many more good places for a lion to hide in a suburb.

Nature and all kinds of animals will intrude into urban areas. They always have, since the dawn of civilization, and the only thing that has changed is human alertness. Our ancestors took this for granted and paid attention to disturbances in the night, but it seems we have forgotten some of our instincts, or are too willing to ignore them.

While I've never seen a mountain lion in Idaho Falls, I have seen them 5 miles out of town, and I've seen beavers swimming in our irrigation canals, moose and deer wandering our streets in the early morning, and coyotes checking out garbage cans in subdivisions just outside the city limits.

I have a friend in Missoula who has a swimming pool in his back yard, and he has had deer, lions, coyotes and bears all visiting it for a drink in the middle of the night. He lives in the middle of the city, too- all of them had to traverse many city streets and neighborhoods to get to his back yard.

When his dog barks, he checks around and turns on the back yard lights. When a lion is outside, his dog growls and hunkers, so he locks his doors and closes his windows. Simple precautions are all that's needed, but folks have to be aware of what's going on.

Old 09-10-2011, 12:53 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,739,027 times
My husband just ran into a plow truck driver he knows at the post office. The guy told him that word has come down that the state highways will no longer be plowed from between 5pm and 6 am.
I wonder if Bonner county will be taking any austerity measures as well as far as snow plowing. Anyone heard anything?

Old 09-10-2011, 04:28 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriverranch View Post
My husband just ran into a plow truck driver he knows at the post office. The guy told him that word has come down that the state highways will no longer be plowed from between 5pm and 6 am.
I wonder if Bonner county will be taking any austerity measures as well as far as snow plowing. Anyone heard anything?
Yup, here's the story:
ITD suspending overnight plowing - Bonner County Daily Bee: Local News: sandpoint, bonner county, idaho transportation department, highway 95, interstate 90

Quote:
Babic said the suspension of overnight plowing will apply to all five northern counties.
“That could change if more money becomes available, but as it stands right now that’s the plan,” Babic said on Friday.
Only I-90 and areas around CdA and Hayden will be plowed at night. Sounds like everyone else better get to where they're going early in the evening when it snows!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho