Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2011, 09:38 AM

159 posts, read 305,813 times

Advertisements

I love this forum! Thanks for starting it ".Clark Fork". I'm enjoying all the great information. Since our family is hoping to move to the area next Spring I'm wanting to learn all I can. Please, Keep it coming!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 12:53 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times
Memomfive, thanks for the kind words! You'll want to read this:

Sandpoint named most beautiful small town - Bonner County Daily Bee: Local News: sandpoint, bonner county, usa today, rand mcnally, best of the road

Quote:
Business owners and advocates alike are celebrating the news that judges from the USA Today and Rand McNally Best of the Road competition have chosen Sandpoint as the most beautiful small town in America. Greater Sandpoint Chamber of Commerce President Kate McAlister said she hopes the honor and its associated publicity will help bring an economic bump to the tourism hot spot.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:04 PM

This is a Montana story affecting North Idaho: The Rock Creek Mine project in the Cabinet Mountain range has been blocked by a MT judge, for now:
Judge blocks Rock Creek Mine construction - Bonner County Daily Bee: Local News: helena, montana, sandpoint, bonner county, rock creek mine
Quote:
District court judge Karen Seeley blocked Revett Minerals from initiating the first phase of construction in the controversial Rock Creek Mine in Northwest Montana unless the company secures permits from the Montana Depart-ment of Environmental Quality. Seeley based her ruling on the potential for sediment pollution in the Clark Fork River and, by extension, Lake Pend Oreille.

“The proposed Rock Creek Mine has been subjected to relentless review, and that review has been, to a great degree, the result of the unique nature of Rock Creek and its value to the threatened bull trout,” Seeley said in the ruling, later adding, “... Rock Creek is of unique ecological significance because of its impacts on fishery resources and local conditions at the proposed discharge site.”
The ruling is a victory for the Rock Creek Alliance, which opposes the mine’s construction.
Okay, so I'm biased...

Old 07-25-2011, 10:21 PM

356 posts, read 520,285 times
Default I'm with you, Clark!

Hate to admit it, but I'm firmly in the NIM(soon-to-be)BY camp on this one.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:29 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,273,774 times
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2011/jul/12/army-corps-wants-cda-cut-down-****-road-trees/ (broken link)

This story bugs me. First, the investigative reporters should be all over it. Instead the story reads ACE did not return our calls. The latest article said they were basically rolling over like wimps to comply. Cut down 500 trees for what, some biblical flood during a hurricane? The officials should be screaming at the top of their lungs over this. Instead they pencil whip a $40M McRidiculous park or display perverted elephants downtown. Where is the detailed analysis showing the trees causing a catastrophic breach of the **** and that removal of exactly 500 trees would save it? I mean real math here, not "oh I heard that vegetation is not good for a **** in general". I will appologize if a PHD with 30 years experience has already scanned the **** with ground-penetrating radar and has provided detailed charts and analysis. I wager however that some government pinhead that dropped out of any real engineering discipline looked at the **** and uttered " trees bad ugh dirt good".

You need to replace the stars with "D" then "I" then "K" then "E"

Last edited by elousv; 07-28-2011 at 07:37 PM.. Reason: CDF thought I was being derogatory towards women instead of geological

Old 07-29-2011, 09:33 AM

El, can you repost the link? I'd love to share your outrage, but I can't read the story!
The **** cracked me up...I guess the Little Dutch Boy wouldn't stand a chance at getting his story out on CDF! And last I checked the derogatory word is spelled differently...

Old 07-29-2011, 10:18 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,273,774 times
You have to manually replace the asterisks with the letters I provided otherwise it says oops

Old 07-29-2011, 12:41 PM

That didn't work for me, either, but I found this, which is probably an early version of the same story:
Picturesque lakeside trees could fall victim to the ax - Spokesman.com - July 13, 2011

I thought trees were great for soil stability...a whole lot better than a dirt pile! Maybe this is the time we decide to hug some trees?

Old 08-07-2011, 08:29 PM

159 posts, read 305,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post

It makes me love the area even more.

Old 08-08-2011, 03:25 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,488,320 times
I would find it hard to disagree that Sandpoint is the most beautiful small town around, it's beyond very nice, it's somewhat...special in it's beauty. Love it and still want to relocate there, and may still get the chance. More on that later!

But the competitive aspect with CDA was played up in the CDA press for all it was worth, just for fun (right?), right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho