Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2021, 11:17 AM

561 posts, read 440,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
Idaho and several other states need to focus more on mental health care than it does for stripping us of our God given rights.
100%. The inanimate object is not the problem. It’s the squishy bit wielding it. I have zero respect for anyone who infringes or wants to infringe on the rights of We the People for “public safety”. That is how every single “free” society falls in to a tyrannical situation. The public is responsible for its own safety not the government or LE. Mental health is such an overlooked problem in this country the last 40+ years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2021, 11:42 AM

7,386 posts, read 12,689,597 times
And now for something completely different:
https://bonnercountydailybee.com/new...ommitment-uni/

Welcome to San Diego, Emma Thielbahr from Sandpoint!

Old 11-11-2021, 04:42 PM

29,220 posts, read 22,404,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diceyhot View Post
Well, my bet is those hundreds of supportive comments come from people who think Zimmerman is white, lol

Boise is the Norway of the West. It partially owes its safety record to the homogenous demographic. And because it's apparently racist in this country to have adult conversations about cultural background and its potential impact on communication - NOT a simple-minded obsession with skin color - there's no reason to expect Boise will escape the breakdown witnessed in West Coast metro's, or any US metro for that matter.
No.
Boise is not Norway. Idaho is the Norway of the West.

Boise is only the capital city.
I'm not worried about Boise. It's still so full of native Idahoans I doubt it will ever have a West Coast style breakdown.
I also think those breakdowns are different from the others and are not found in any US metro. Just as the East Coast is different from the West Coast, so are the inland Mountain West states. Each is different from the others.

So far, at least. I'm pretty sure all the the states are more similar to each other than they have ever been before, and I think all the recent moving due to Covid as increased the similarities.

So you could well be correct, Dicey. Just not at the moment. And very probably not for long, as everything happens a lot faster than it did in the past.

Old 11-13-2021, 08:50 AM

32,672 posts, read 48,139,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diceyhot View Post
Well, my bet is those hundreds of supportive comments come from people who think Zimmerman is white, lol......

Zimmerman is white. Hispanic is white.

It's the hotel's right to cancel the rental of their conference hall. Private property rights and all that.

But as for Zimmerman, while I don't have any interest in going to hear him speak, he has the freedom of speech to make that speech. That's also a constitutional right.

The motel is in the wrong. They accepted a gun conference, which is their decision, but then they take it upon themselves to censor the speakers. If they don't want speakers who speak about self defense use of guns, they should not have agreed to rent facilities to a group giving a conference about guns for self defense.

Old 11-13-2021, 05:50 PM

29,220 posts, read 22,404,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

It's the hotel's right to cancel the rental of their conference hall. Private property rights and all that.

But as for Zimmerman, while I don't have any interest in going to hear him speak, he has the freedom of speech to make that speech. That's also a constitutional right.

The motel is in the wrong. They accepted a gun conference, which is their decision, but then they take it upon themselves to censor the speakers. If they don't want speakers who speak about self defense use of guns, they should not have agreed to rent facilities to a group giving a conference about guns for self defense.
I think that's debatable. Whether or not the motel was forced to accept Zimmerman would have been in the contract made with the conference's agents.

No motel would want to censor any events in a big conference normally, as it would wreck their reputation as a host.
But no motel would ever want a conference to turn into a riot battleground either, as it would wreck their property.

So I'm pretty sure that the contract would allow the motel management some rights of censorship, but not enough as to stop the conference's agents from signing.
Since these conferences commonly replace their speakers for all kinds of reasons, for all we know, Zimmerman may be a last-minute replacement for another speaker who would have never needed to be censored.

Motels have the right to boot their disruptive guests out, so it's quite possible the contract could have a similar inclusion.

For sure, the convention hall already had many restrictions written into their standard contract.
They never rent a hall without a contract. (and usually a big up-front payment in advance.)

But whatever happened, the motel shut it all down. That's actually what happens most of the time there's some disagreement that pops up and concerns motel management.

Stopping everything before it starts is the least damage of all for both parties.

Last edited by banjomike; 11-13-2021 at 05:58 PM..

Old 11-15-2021, 08:33 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,907,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

The citizens of Boise are the ones who really deserve credit for the cancellation.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CV1agZbPVLZ/

Quote:
“We recognize the immense pain that George Zimmerman has inflicted on many of our guests, team-members and community,” the Garden City hotel’s ownership group said in a statement. “With their respect and safety as our priority, we have canceled the event. We are unequivocally opposed to providing George Zimmerman a platform and he is not welcome at The Riverside Hotel.” The hotel learned of Zimmerman’s participation via social media, according to its statement.

The hotel “is not usually provided a list of event speakers” in advance and said it had no idea who would be featured. “As soon as we were aware of the incendiary details, we made the decision to cancel the event.”

Read more at: https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/...#storylink=cpy

Old 11-15-2021, 10:37 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,479,281 times
The motel was also probably thinking it did not want any incidents to occur on it's property. Any such incident would have been leftists/liberals mounting a protest or worse. 'incendiary' is a reasonable word for the situation but I would ask everyone to be honest with themselves and recognize that any bad outcome would not be on the part of the conferees but form outsiders wanting to create an incident.

I personally don't see why anyone would be proud of a community that promotes intolerance of free speech or freedom of association, and failure to respect the outcomes of the legal system. The Zimmerman trial was held years ago and the jury rendered their verdict, but it seems like many do not want to accept that.

This sounds more like an bad B grade western with the theme of 'not in our town'.... What ever happened to peace and tolerance?

Old 11-15-2021, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nm9stheham View Post
The motel was also probably thinking it did not want any incidents to occur on it's property. Any such incident would have been leftists/liberals mounting a protest or worse. 'incendiary' is a reasonable word for the situation but I would ask everyone to be honest with themselves and recognize that any bad outcome would not be on the part of the conferees but form outsiders wanting to create an incident.

I personally don't see why anyone would be proud of a community that promotes intolerance of free speech or freedom of association, and failure to respect the outcomes of the legal system. The Zimmerman trial was held years ago and the jury rendered their verdict, but it seems like many do not want to accept that.

This sounds more like an bad B grade western with the theme of 'not in our town'.... What ever happened to peace and tolerance?
Peace and tolerance left the building the week prior when another gun loving person killed and wounded several people in the Boise Towne Square Mall.

I don't think the hotel was worried about an imaginary "incident" from liberals lol. They instead were using common sense especially after the mall shooting and the local public outcry against Zimmerman being allowed to speak in Boise/Garden City. The hotel did the right thing.

Old 11-15-2021, 03:21 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,766,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
Peace and tolerance left the building the week prior when another gun loving person killed and wounded several people in the Boise Towne Square Mall.

I don't think the hotel was worried about an imaginary "incident" from liberals lol. They instead were using common sense especially after the mall shooting and the local public outcry against Zimmerman being allowed to speak in Boise/Garden City. The hotel did the right thing.
Too bad they couldn't have taken a poll to see about how ALL the people in the county feel about that vs. that isolated group YOU are referring to. Outside of Boise I can nearly guarantee that would not have been the reaction. [mod cut]

Last edited by volosong; 11-15-2021 at 11:29 PM.. Reason: personal attack

Old 11-15-2021, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
Too bad they couldn't have taken a poll to see about how ALL the people in the county feel about that vs. that isolated group YOU are referring to. Outside of Boise I can nearly guarantee that would not have been the reaction. But you're on you're usual lib rant so there ya have it.

I wonder who is isolated?
LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho