Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2024, 08:08 AM

5,877 posts, read 6,946,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I remember getting one of those at the now closed Bennigan's restaurant years ago.
I liked Bennigans. Looks like there are still a few around.
https://bennigans.com/locations/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2024, 08:23 AM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
Scampi translates to prawn or langoustines, a crustacean that's kind of like a mini lobster.
Thanks.

But don't prawns resemble shrimp? (I've never been able to tell the difference between the two. I hear Brits use that word more than Americans do.)

Old 03-17-2024, 11:05 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Thanks.

But don't prawns resemble shrimp? (I've never been able to tell the difference between the two. I hear Brits use that word more than Americans do.)
Yes, I am not sure what the difference is either, except maybe size. But the point was that "scampi" is a creature not found in the waters around North America, but is what is originally used in the dish people here call "shrimp scampi" because they use shrimp to make it.

Old 03-21-2024, 01:33 PM

2,465 posts, read 2,761,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes, I am not sure what the difference is either, except maybe size. But the point was that "scampi" is a creature not found in the waters around North America, but is what is originally used in the dish people here call "shrimp scampi" because they use shrimp to make it.
Most shrimp are saltwater dwellers and prawns are fresh or brackish (slightly salty) water inhabitants.

There are some anatomical differences as well. https://www.thespruceeats.com/differ...prawns-2217280

Old 03-24-2024, 06:25 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
Most shrimp are saltwater dwellers and prawns are fresh or brackish (slightly salty) water inhabitants.

There are some anatomical differences as well. https://www.thespruceeats.com/differ...prawns-2217280
I did NOT know that. Thanks.

Old 03-24-2024, 06:29 PM

2,503 posts, read 2,071,405 times
Patty Melts

Used to buy them off the food trucks (roach coach) at lunch time out in front of our work buildings in the 1980s.

Old 03-24-2024, 09:49 PM

2,027 posts, read 3,347,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
My wife and I were eating out last night and got to thinking about menu items we used to see as kids or when we first got married that we haven't seen in restaurants in years. Some were more common in family eateries, and others were fine dining, but just don't see them often anymore. Things we thought of, in no particular order, include:

Lobster Thermidor
Any type of Seafood Newburg (this is what kicked off the conversation when I noticed her sauce would go well with my shrimp and started to wonder why we don't see those anymore)
Sliced Roast Beef au jus, or ham for that matter (not thinking prime rib here, but Sunday roast beef or baked ham)
Shepard's Pie
Here in Coastal Washington Co. Maine they serve all of the above. Along with many other dishes that i usually have to look up online lol. (Finan Haddie, Dry Fish Dinner, Wet Batter Fish...)

Also every Friday night the restaurants have Prime Rib and some of them also have during the week Meatloaf, Mozz Sticks, Hot Turkey Sandwich, Quiche, Whole Belly Clams, Fried Chicken, and other comfort foods like Beef Stew, Chicken Parm, and New England Boiled Dinner. They also have Potato Skins with all the fixins on top, which is kind of an older type of appetizer (to me). But i love them.

What they don't have up here that i miss from NJ diners is creamed chipped beef - have not seen it on ANY menu.

Old 03-24-2024, 09:54 PM

2,027 posts, read 3,347,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Hello to Howard Johnson's fried clams.

Howard Johnson's served its famous Tendersweet fried clams with French fried potatoes, tartar sauce and homemade rolls and butter.

https://www.lostdishes.com/hojos/friedclams.htm
I grew up on them and loved them.

My parents used to take me as a kid all the time. Chocolate iced cream for dessert.

I also grew up loving steamed clams fresh from the water, so i knew the "real thing" also

Old 03-25-2024, 07:24 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,225,600 times
We used to go to Florida every spring for vacation, and one of my favourite things to do was to walk down the beach in Vero Beach and get the fried clams at the local Howard Johnson’s, so damn good!

Old 03-25-2024, 02:03 PM

1,263 posts, read 664,942 times
One more item I used to see extensively on most menus in the 70's and 80's but not any longer is the appetizer rumaki.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink