Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2024, 07:59 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I think for a lot of us around the country, the chains killed all the diners. That's kind of what I was thinking when I made the list -- used to be a lot of places made things like this, but so many of them are gone now. Haven't seen a diner like you describe in years. I miss them.
We have a diner like that in my central Florida town of Lakeland. Reececliff Family Diner, in business since 1934 and even their head chef has been there 40 years! Let me tell you that place is very popular, especially with older folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2024, 08:57 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
I gotta update this post. I went out to dinner last night, and two of the people I was dining with ordered

Shrimp Scampi
Blackened something pasta

I had to stop from bursting out laughing 'cause either I have no idea what people order in restaurants or those two were stuck back in 1995!
Scampi never left Italian restaurant menus. Blackened stuff never completely went away.

Old 03-10-2024, 11:19 PM

4,537 posts, read 12,398,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
I'm salivating over the diner menu that MQ posted. Spouse & I ended our first date at a diner in, of all places, San Diego, steak & eggs at 3:00 a.m. When we left San Diego forever, that was our last stop, 29 years later. It's still there. There are no diners anywhere around us like that.
Can you share the name of the diner?

I'm wondering if I've been there, or could go there.

Old 03-11-2024, 12:16 AM

6,851 posts, read 4,850,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Had a "Monte Cristo" yesterday for brunch. Been awhile since I've seen that.
I seldom see Monte Cristo on the menu, but I had it at a place for breakfast last month. It was the n the breakfast menu. A friend was taking me out for a birthday breakfast. I actually don't like breakfast foods much. I didn't have high hopes for the sandwich but it was actually turkey and ham, not the thin sliced lunch meat variety. I chose the option of having it crusted with corn flakes before frying.

Old 03-11-2024, 08:28 AM

20,928 posts, read 28,403,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
I haven't seen breaded veal cutlet on any menu in decades. Does it still exist?
yes

Old 03-11-2024, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
I don’t see Prime Rib in restaurants much any more.
I see it on menus here in NY but usually at more fancier places.

Old 03-11-2024, 08:35 AM

Almost every food item with the exception of a few I never heard can be found at most restaurants in NY especially Long Island. I guess out west or down south they aren't popular.

Old 03-11-2024, 10:06 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,406,229 times
Yes, veal. At my first taste at seventeen it became my go-to dish. Then I found out how it was produced and I never had the heart to eat it again. Poor calves. Poor me.

Monte Cristo! I'd forgotten. Think it originated in New Orleans and used to have a layer of jam on it also and powdered sugar but it was never served that way in MN.

Springfieldva mentions shrimp salad. Mom and I used to go for lunch at a nice little place that served green salads that were just loaded with shrimp or crab meat and a good roll and butter on the side.

I've mentioned before the supper club that had a lady's lunch - petite filet, baked potato, salad, soup or juice, relish tray and roll for a meager dollar fifty. The tablecloths and napkins were linen with china, crystal and silver. Typing that now seem like an impossibility. We felt like royalty.

I remember an old chicken shack in the country with wooden booths. Nothing to write home about. They specialized in broasted chicken but the real pièce de résistance of our meal was the appetizer plate piled high with deep fried chicken livers. Didn't need no steenkin' pâté.

I really miss all those old extravagances and their fancy names as much for the way they made me feel eating them as for their taste. Special!

Old 03-11-2024, 10:54 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
Whole belly … Battered Fried Clams!!!!
One of my all time favs!!
I still get fried clam at a nearby seafood restaurant, and even at the Seattle Mariner games.

Old 03-11-2024, 11:10 AM

8,751 posts, read 5,044,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
Whole belly … Battered Fried Clams!!!!
One of my all time favs!!
Then you haven`t been to Wells.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink