Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2024, 01:55 PM

11,103 posts, read 9,744,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Used to love and often found Almond Pressed Duck at Chinese restaurants. It seems to have vanished from menus these days. Miss it--it was soooo good.
And those sticky, super-red Chinese spare ribs. Whatever happened to those? And Hong Kong style fried noodles. Yum.

We had a wonderful authentic independent Asian place called Hunan House where I used to live, everything was so fresh and hot from the wok. I can't find any super great Hunan and Szechuan in the Southeast. We do have an excellent Thai/pan-Asian place 3 minutes away, its menu is very light on Chinese dishes, but its Thai curries are exceptional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2024, 02:06 PM

11,103 posts, read 9,744,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
I seldom see Monte Cristo on the menu, but I had it at a place for breakfast last month. It was the n the breakfast menu. A friend was taking me out for a birthday breakfast. I actually don't like breakfast foods much. I didn't have high hopes for the sandwich but it was actually turkey and ham, not the thin sliced lunch meat variety. I chose the option of having it crusted with corn flakes before frying.
I can't find a good Monte Cristo anywhere. Somewhere along the line the concept for it changed into a turkey/ham/swiss sandwich made with french toast for bread. Meh! Dry and underwhelming. The original way to make it was to make the entire sandwich, toothpick it together, and dunk the whole sandwich into the egg batter and then deep fry the whole thing. Yum! Crispy outside, juicy hot and melty inside. Serve with honey or blackberry preserves for dunking or drizzling. OMG!!!

Old 03-12-2024, 04:10 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times
hot turkey sandwiches

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 03-12-2024, 04:35 PM

21,881 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Funny, the only place here in town that has "fried chicken" is KFC. Unless you want to count ChikFilet and Zaxby's. Or the deli at Publix. You'd think being in the buckle on the bible best that fried chicken would be common.
The Walmart deli has good fried chicken; you can buy a "snack" with one piece and one side or "lunch" with two pieces and two sides for a reasonable price.

Old 03-12-2024, 04:51 PM

1,392 posts, read 1,398,417 times
One of my favorites from the past is open face roast beef sandwich with brown gravy and aside of mashed potatoes. Haven’t seen it on a menu in decades. ( it was everywhere in my younger days)

Old 03-12-2024, 05:20 PM

21,881 posts, read 12,936,608 times
You can find some of these dishes (open-face roast beef sandwich with gravy, for instance) at little mom-and-pop diners. Again, usually reasonably priced...

Old 03-13-2024, 08:02 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
And those sticky, super-red Chinese spare ribs. Whatever happened to those? And Hong Kong style fried noodles. Yum.

We had a wonderful authentic independent Asian place called Hunan House where I used to live, everything was so fresh and hot from the wok. I can't find any super great Hunan and Szechuan in the Southeast. We do have an excellent Thai/pan-Asian place 3 minutes away, its menu is very light on Chinese dishes, but its Thai curries are exceptional.
Yep, I know what you mean..when we live the SF Bay area, we had all different kinds of Chinese regional cooking to choose from--now, here in the SE not so much. It's pretty bland Cantonese style, though some places are better than others.

If I had my druthers I could live happily on all types of Asian Cuisine: Thai, Vietnamese, Japanese, Laotian, and different versions of Chinese cookery...especially the spicy Hunan kind.

I've learned to cook some of the simpler dishes...we make stuffed lettuce leaves (Larb) and Pad Thai for example...

Bon appetit!

Old 03-13-2024, 08:09 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Yes, the blackened redfish. I don't know when it became popular, but shrimp scampi is a post-war adaptation of the Italian dish.
Yes, it is an adaptation because scampi is a type of crustacean we don't have in this part of the ocean. Shrimp is a substitute for it.

Old 03-14-2024, 10:49 AM

2,465 posts, read 2,759,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
And, of course, "scampi" is Italian for "shrimp," so we've all been eating "shrimp shrimp" for decades.
Scampi translates to prawn or langoustines, a crustacean that's kind of like a mini lobster.

Old 03-17-2024, 07:22 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I can't find a good Monte Cristo anywhere. Somewhere along the line the concept for it changed into a turkey/ham/swiss sandwich made with french toast for bread. Meh! Dry and underwhelming. The original way to make it was to make the entire sandwich, toothpick it together, and dunk the whole sandwich into the egg batter and then deep fry the whole thing. Yum! Crispy outside, juicy hot and melty inside. Serve with honey or blackberry preserves for dunking or drizzling. OMG!!!
I remember getting one of those at the now closed Bennigan's restaurant years ago. It came with a cup of jelly (grape I think?) that you could dip the sandwich into. Man that thing was good. And you're right, I don't remember the last time I saw a Monte Cristo on a restaurant menu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink