Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2024, 08:55 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Lagos View Post
There was a regional chain called Steak and Ale that was known for their Prime Rib. It looks like they are trying to make a comeback...whoever owns the brand.
https://steakandale.com/
I LOVED Steak and Ale. We had them in New Jersey.

They gave you a small loaf of hot pumpernickel bread with butter on a little wooden cutting board for the table.

Old 03-12-2024, 08:56 AM

1,852 posts, read 873,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

They gave you a small loaf of hot pumpernickel bread with butter on a little wooden cutting board for the table.

Yes, and their Caesar salad was one of the best I'd ever had.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2024, 10:38 AM

20,928 posts, read 28,406,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Definitely chicken cordon bleu. Not my type of thing.

You really don't see that much ham anymore.

I grew up in an area where canned hams were popular. Canned hams with canned vegetables. Nothing was seasoned, other than with salt, and was pretty much flavorless.
I make it it at least 3 times a year chicken cordon bleu

Old 03-12-2024, 11:04 AM

70 posts, read 61,739 times
Shoneys. I can see why because the last one I went to a few years ago was horrible.

Old 03-12-2024, 11:14 AM

32,924 posts, read 36,329,197 times
Quote:
I think "blackened" stuff was an 80s trend when Paul Prudhomme put the Louisiana cooking out there, but scampi has been around forever and can be found at pretty much every Italian hole in the wall. That was more of a classic dish, not a trend.
Yes, the blackened redfish. I don't know when it became popular, but shrimp scampi is a post-war adaptation of the Italian dish.

Old 03-12-2024, 11:23 AM

32,924 posts, read 36,329,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Now I want a good bowl of french onion soup! I'll have to keep an eye for it the next time we go out to eat.
I haven't eaten it in a restaurant for years because it's rarely topped with Gruyere.

Old 03-12-2024, 11:51 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,995,345 times
I can't really think of much, unless it is prime rib roasted in rock salt. Maybe they still do it, or maybe they stopped since "salt is bad". Or maybe the steak houses are simply buying pre-cooked slabs of meat and serving those and no longer roasting a whole rib section in-house.

There are lots of restaurant foods that used to be good that are still available but no longer tasty. They are still available so the public is still buying them, just not something I would pay money for.

Old 03-12-2024, 12:37 PM

17,353 posts, read 16,498,076 times
Quote:

Doesn't Outback give you a loaf of brown bread? I'm not sure if it's pumpernickel, it's actually been a few years since I've been to Outback.

Old 03-12-2024, 12:47 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,239,181 times
Smile Great memories!

Quote:

Used to love Steak & Ale.

I would meet my mom a couple of times a month after she got her hair done next to our office.

My mom would love the desserts.

So, one time, my mother's sister (my aunt) joined us. She lived just outside of Toronto but also had a place in Fort Myers so she and her husband were snowbirds.

We had a great lunch and then I said "sure" to the dessert menus. I didn't realize my mom wanted to act like she never ate dessert so I had mentioned how much my mom loved this one dessert the week before - can't remember what it was though - probably had chocolate in it!

Anyway, my mom glared at me and said something like "You must have me confused with someone else because I never order dessert!"

Later, she told me her sister would always harp about her weight (first time I ever heard that!) and then I felt awful about it. I literally had no idea; my mother was pretty slim in my book and I thought she was a really balanced eater!

Old 03-12-2024, 01:40 PM

11,104 posts, read 9,748,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Pasta salad, Chicken Marsala and blackened fish would be a few.
I see these at restaurants all the time. Maybe it's regional. I don't see Chicken Cordon Bleu, or Chicken Kiev, often though.

Maybe I've never had Chicken A La King made properly, because what I had was called that, but it was pretty gross and gloppy and I say "good riddance" if it's gone. It was like a runny chicken casserole.

They recently removed the club sandwich from our clubhouse menu and there was a near-riot. How could they think that would be okay? It's a standard.

Last edited by TheShadow; 03-12-2024 at 02:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink