Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2024, 05:42 PM

9,399 posts, read 11,147,212 times

Advertisements

Cheeseburger Pepsi, no Coke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2024, 08:39 PM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmom66 View Post
Chicken croquettes are a typical menu item at diners in NJ.
Not that I was looking for them, but I don't remember seeing them on diner menus.

Old 04-08-2024, 08:43 PM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUSMUSIC View Post
We used to be able to get Chicken croquettes at two restaurants outside of Philadelphia, Pa. I haven’t seen any here in Florida. However, we do have an Amish restaurant here in SW Florida which serves meatloaf and it is delicious.
Which restaurants? I think that I need to eat a chicken croquette before I die.

Old 04-11-2024, 02:14 PM

551 posts, read 343,805 times
The coffee shops had grilled cheese American cheese on white bread with a pickle I think there was also a scoop of potato salad.

Also, hamburger patty served with macaroni and cheese.

Old 04-11-2024, 07:55 PM

1,116 posts, read 1,131,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I can't find a good Monte Cristo anywhere. Somewhere along the line the concept for it changed into a turkey/ham/swiss sandwich made with french toast for bread. Meh! Dry and underwhelming. The original way to make it was to make the entire sandwich, toothpick it together, and dunk the whole sandwich into the egg batter and then deep fry the whole thing. Yum! Crispy outside, juicy hot and melty inside. Serve with honey or blackberry preserves for dunking or drizzling. OMG!!!
Yes! I ordered one at a brunch place and that's what it was, a french toast sandwich, not a true Monte Cristo. I remember the real deal and they were to die for. Jam on the side.
Also difficult to find: Patty Melt, Reuben sandwich, Chef Salad.
We do have a few diners here so sometimes can find some of the more elusive things. I will have to look up that San Diego one as it is one I have not been to out here.

Old 04-11-2024, 08:56 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
We can get Reubens here, a fave of hubby. One thing that seemed to be really popular in the 70s, was Chicken Kiev, I still love it, but not on any local menu.

Old 04-11-2024, 11:36 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,318,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
My wife and I were eating out last night and got to thinking about menu items we used to see as kids or when we first got married that we haven't seen in restaurants in years. Some were more common in family eateries, and others were fine dining, but just don't see them often anymore. Things we thought of, in no particular order, include:

Chicken a la King.
Chicken Cordon Bleu
Steak Diane
Lobster Thermidor
Any type of Seafood Newburg (this is what kicked off the conversation when I noticed her sauce would go well with my shrimp and started to wonder why we don't see those anymore)
Sliced Roast Beef au jus, or ham for that matter (not thinking prime rib here, but Sunday roast beef or baked ham)
Chicken Pot Pie (Cracker Barrel has one, as does KFC, but used to be really popular at a lot of family places)
Salisbury Steak
Shepard's Pie

We got to talking about these and wondered why we seldom see them in restaurants anymore. Wondering how much was killed by commissary style cooking and how much disappeared due to the rise of the, for lack of a better term, "barstaurants" (Applebee's, TGIF, Ruby Tuesday, etc) targeting the then 20 something singles out in groups rather than families or couples on a quiet date. They all have basically the same menu -- mediocre steaks, ribs, burgers, a chicken dish, a pasta dish, fish & chips, the same chicken dish redressed as a sort of Mexican style thing, the same chicken dish redressed again as a sort of generic oriental style thing, broccoli as the only vegetable choice, and the same frozen appetizers. You know, the menu with one of everything to appeal to everyone in a group.
Yeah, haven't had a Steak Diane for ages. This was what I ordered, when I had my first pay check.
Chicken Cordon Bleu and Chicken Pot Pie are so convenient frozen in boxes. And my fridge is always stock up with a box or two whenever there is a sale at the supermarket. No, I won't order either one of these in a restaurant.

Marie Callender's Chicken Pot Pie
https://www.mariecallendersmeals.com...cken-pot-pie-0
Barber Foods Cordon Bleu Raw Stuffed Chicken Breast
https://us.amazon.com/Barber-Foods-C.../dp/B00B04KCPS

Old 04-12-2024, 01:30 PM

1,290 posts, read 1,341,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Not that I was looking for them, but I don't remember seeing them on diner menus.
2 diners near me have them, Town & Country in Bordentown NJ, and Broad Street Diner in Hamilton NJ.

Old 04-14-2024, 02:29 PM

27,167 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Escargots in lots of garlic butter with plenty of French Bread to soak it all up...aka Steak & Ale's old recipe!

Old 04-17-2024, 07:30 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3chidogs View Post
Yes! I ordered one at a brunch place and that's what it was, a french toast sandwich, not a true Monte Cristo. I remember the real deal and they were to die for. Jam on the side.
Also difficult to find: Patty Melt, Reuben sandwich, Chef Salad.
We do have a few diners here so sometimes can find some of the more elusive things. I will have to look up that San Diego one as it is one I have not been to out here.
MMM patty melt. There is a place here that makes a delicious one and I think I will go have one tomorrow!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink