Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2021, 01:42 PM

4,537 posts, read 3,758,941 times

Advertisements

Georgy gets fed at 5pm for her evening meal. It’s almost 4pm and she doesn’t care about turning the clocks back. It’s 5:00 in her world. She’s come over and sat in front of me several times, trying her darnest to make me look at her and get her not very subtle hint. These first few days of the time change are rough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2022, 08:41 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,540,890 times
I love baseball, and I love dogs.

Today (August 28th, 2022) I went to the Astros game. I went to this particular game for several reasons.....because Verlander was pitching, because I had yet to go to a game this year, I liked that it was a day game, etc.

I got into the stadium and where I could see the field just two minutes before the first pitch.

I didn't know until I got in line for the security check that today was 'Dog Day' !

I've been going to Astros games since the late 2000s (when I moved here), and I didn't know there was such a thing.

It was awesome! It seemed like there were thousands of dogs (...it's possible...about 31.500 people...2,000 dogs would be a little over 6% of attendees bringing their dogs). Almost all of the dogs I saw were on the first level. The people in line who mentioned it said they would love to bring their dog to this, but that he's a little too skittish. People seemed to be good judges of how their dogs would react. I didn't hear even one bark.

I did a You Tube search an the only one that came up was one from 9 years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqA91KUZU_s

Old 08-30-2022, 06:46 PM

652 posts, read 682,491 times
Can a dog become deaf? I think that's the problem I'm facing with my dog. His name is Shadow, 11yrs old and he's a wiener dog.

Old 08-31-2022, 01:35 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,000,975 times
They most certainly can become deaf. Other than "ask your vet", I'm not sure what I could tell you, but if you think you are seeing signs the dog doesn't hear, it could certainly be so.

Old 08-31-2022, 07:17 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,344,849 times
Longtime owner of beagles... but currently we have a coonhound and a chihuahua (my daughter adopted him and moved into a place that doesn't allow dogs LOL... So he's now ours).

We just ran into some luck with the opportunity to adopt one of the beagles that was removed from that lab that was raided in Virginia (4000 beagles setup for lab testing!).

He came to our house yesterday, and he's been interesting. We were told, he needs to "learn to become a dog"... and they recommended households that currently had dogs. So far we saw him being afraid of doors opening and closing... and he had to learn to climb steps (which he learned quickly). I've never quite seen anything like this, but today was his 2nd full day and i think he's really doing well. He spent a lot of time in the yard today (it was nice out so i kept the door open, so the dogs could come in and go out as they pleased).

Hopefully all these dogs will find homes and places like that will vanish. The stories i heard were absolutely heartbreaking. I'm thrilled we were able to help one...

Old 09-05-2022, 06:37 PM

10,309 posts, read 6,852,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmom66 View Post
Longtime owner of beagles... but currently we have a coonhound and a chihuahua (my daughter adopted him and moved into a place that doesn't allow dogs LOL... So he's now ours).

We just ran into some luck with the opportunity to adopt one of the beagles that was removed from that lab that was raided in Virginia (4000 beagles setup for lab testing!).

He came to our house yesterday, and he's been interesting. We were told, he needs to "learn to become a dog"... and they recommended households that currently had dogs. So far we saw him being afraid of doors opening and closing... and he had to learn to climb steps (which he learned quickly). I've never quite seen anything like this, but today was his 2nd full day and i think he's really doing well. He spent a lot of time in the yard today (it was nice out so i kept the door open, so the dogs could come in and go out as they pleased).

Hopefully all these dogs will find homes and places like that will vanish. The stories i heard were absolutely heartbreaking. I'm thrilled we were able to help one...
Home run, well done.

Old 09-28-2022, 07:22 AM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RME40 View Post
Can a dog become deaf? I think that's the problem I'm facing with my dog. His name is Shadow, 11yrs old and he's a wiener dog.
We have had both a deaf dog and a deaf cat. Both adapted very well, and could understand gestures and hand signals.

Old 09-28-2022, 07:32 AM

Yesterday, I went to a meeting at someone’s home office. She has two rescued Great Danes. One is deaf and almost blind, poor thing, and one was traumatized by being abandoned.

Anyway, they are living their best lives now, and were so gentle and delightful. The blind one puts her face close to smell the breath. That is how she identifies people. The owner said if I came back again, even months from now, the dog would recognize me by my smell.

Old 05-16-2023, 01:43 PM

Just an observation, for what it’s worth. We were feeding our dachshund Royal Canin Dachshund, until the bag went from about $50. to over $60. I experimented on cheaper food and settled on Purina One, which former dogs loved, and WAY cheaper.

Our dogs breath started to stink so bad that we couldn’t take it anymore. Within 2 days of switching back, his breath is sweet puppy breath again.

Old 05-17-2023, 12:02 AM

4,490 posts, read 4,985,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Just an observation, for what it’s worth. We were feeding our dachshund Royal Canin Dachshund, until the bag went from about $50. to over $60. I experimented on cheaper food and settled on Purina One, which former dogs loved, and WAY cheaper.

Our dogs breath started to stink so bad that we couldn’t take it anymore. Within 2 days of switching back, his breath is sweet puppy breath again.

Omg!!!!! Purina one absolutely made our German Shepherds breath smell like tuna and poop!!!!
Switched brands and the smell disappeared !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs