Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 03:13 PM

255 posts, read 1,195,724 times

Advertisements

We just moved into a new housing development and have yet to get our fence up. Just 2 houses up, there are 2 pit bulls. One day my husband let our blind Beagle stay out in the backyard. We have a leash for him so he doesn't stray and get hurt. Anyway, one of the pit bulls came and started acting aggressively with our dog. The owner didn't seem too perturbed - and the dog did obey her calls to go back to her, but it left us feeling very vulnerable.

A friend of my son's who lives in Colorado owns a pit bull and even my son says that it's the sweetest dog in the world. When he would visit, the dog would wake him up in the morning by licking his face.

Why are they sometimes gentle and sometimes insanely aggressive?

Old 06-30-2007, 03:20 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,231,607 times
Dogs are what they are taught to be. I also have had a couple of very sweet, docile Pits. However, there is a man one street over who has 3 of them and one very aggressive female JUMPS over the chain link fence and charges anyone walking by with a dog. We have called animal control, and been advised that if we need to carry a baseball bat or golf club or a can of mace we are legally allowed to club the dog to death once it steps out of its own yard. Just what I want to do, beat a dog because its owner is not responsible.

For me dogs are a lot like kids. I like mine, but rarely want to be around anyone else's.

Old 06-30-2007, 04:01 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times
No! pitbulls are sweet. But find out more about your neighbors & how they treat the dogs. ask questions to your local animal warden too.

Old 06-30-2007, 04:23 PM

255 posts, read 821,488 times
I know that people have addressed this, ad nauseum, in other threads, but I feel compelled to reiterate that APBTs have consistently scored very well in temperament tests, have been trained as excellent explosives-sniffing dogs (I see them at the ferry terminals here in WA and they are exceedingly well-behaved), and are not inherently aggressive. This is not to say that irresponsible owners, such as those that fail to adequately train or socialize their dogs, or who treat their pit bulls like they are some kind of macho fashion accessory, don't create aggressive-acting dogs. This would be the same with any breed of dog, but the extreme media hype has resulted in many people fearing what they don't know, and focusing on the pit bull. Have you ever seen the pit bulls that Cesar Millan works with at his "dog psychology center"? One is named "Daddy", and while he fits the stereotype of the pit bull, with cropped ears, and the stocky, muscular build, he is the most unbelievably laid-back and even-tempered dog. Cesar uses him to help rehabilitate problem dogs.

I'm not suggesting that you shouldn't use caution around your neighbors' dogs, if they show signs of dog or people-focused aggression...but this kind of bad behavior is the result of the owners' failure to train the dogs properly, not the breed.

Old 06-30-2007, 04:41 PM

2,079 posts, read 4,951,259 times
No they are not. All of this Pit Bulls are bad talk is only a trend. I remember when Boxers were bad, then it was the Bull Dogs, then it was the German Shepherds, then the Doberman Pinchers and now it's the Pit Bull. Trust me, in a few years, another they will pin the honor on another breed.

Old 06-30-2007, 04:42 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,495,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiegal View Post
We just moved into a new housing development and have yet to get our fence up. Just 2 houses up, there are 2 pit bulls. One day my husband let our blind Beagle stay out in the backyard. We have a leash for him so he doesn't stray and get hurt. Anyway, one of the pit bulls came and started acting aggressively with our dog. The owner didn't seem too perturbed - and the dog did obey her calls to go back to her, but it left us feeling very vulnerable.

A friend of my son's who lives in Colorado owns a pit bull and even my son says that it's the sweetest dog in the world. When he would visit, the dog would wake him up in the morning by licking his face.

I would think if a dog that has been known to kill and hurt people for no reason is in your yard acting aggressively you should have the right to shoot it. These dogs have kill kids and adults that were in ther own yard and did nothing wrong. It is time to aliminate this breed,

Old 06-30-2007, 05:03 PM

2,079 posts, read 4,951,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
No they are not. All of this Pit Bulls are bad talk is only a trend. I remember when Boxers were bad, then it was the Bull Dogs, then it was the German Shepherds, then the Doberman Pinchers and now it's the Pit Bull. Trust me, in a few years, another they will pin the honor on another breed.
Oh, you can add the Rottweiler to that bad dog list also.

Old 06-30-2007, 05:12 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,231,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkman18 View Post
I would think if a dog that has been known to kill and hurt people for no reason is in your yard acting aggressively you should have the right to shoot it.
Where I live you do have that right, if the dog is off of its own property and acting in an aggressive manner.

Old 06-30-2007, 08:18 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,172,258 times
Talking Wonderful question!!

Quote:

Okay, I am just going to answer this the same way I have with other questions like this.

To start, pit bull is not a breed of dog, it’s a term typically used to group 3 breeds of dog, the American Pit Bull Terrier (ABPT), American Staffordshire Terrier (AMSTAFF) and the Staffordshire Bull Terrier (STAFFIE).

The "pit bull" is probably the most misunderstood dog in the United States. People see them and cross the street out of fear and try to ban them from their cities. Why? Simply stated, lack of education on the breeds. The public only sees negative stories in the news. "Pit bulls" are wonderful dogs in the hands of responsible owners just like any other breed. As with any dog, there will always be irresponsible owners and poorly bred dogs. That does NOT mean that all of these dogs are evil! The majority of domestic violence in the US is caused by men, are all men considered evil and dangerous, No. Then why would all "pit bulls" be dangerous because of a few bad owners?

For hundreds of years "pit bulls" were bred to fight dogs, certain traits were bred into the bloodlines for that purpose, high pain tolerance, high prey drive, etc. However a quality that was never bred into "pit bulls" was human aggression. Human "aggressive" dogs were undesirable as these dogs required extensive handling prior to and during their fights AND most of these dogs were also family pets so no human aggression was ever tolerated. Dogs that exhibited human aggression were typically killed, meaning that only human friendly lines were perpetuated and desired. It has been said that a "pit bull" never met a stranger. They love and adore humans. They want so much to be apart of your family and spend time with you watching tv, walking, driving, etc. I have seen severely abused and neglected "pit bulls" who see you coming and they can't wait to be petted and loved. Even after the abuse, they want nothing more than to be with a family of their own! As with any breed there are exceptions to the normal temperament and behavior. We see this in humans as well, there are good ones and bad ones.

~Fact Vs. Myth~

-"Pit bulls" have locking jaws. NO! The "pit bulls" jaws are the same as any other breed of dog! Any Veterinarian can verify this is simply a myth. "Pit bulls" have been bred to not let go, however, their jaws are not locked.

-"Pit bulls" have a 1800 PSI Jaw Pressure. Wrong again. Dr. Brady Barr of National Geographic (Dangerous Encounters: Bite Force, 8pm est 8/18/2005) – Dr. Barr measured bite forces of many different creatures. Domestic dogs were included in the test. Here are the results of all of the animals tested: Humans: 120 pounds of bite pressure Domestic dogs: 320 LBS of pressure on avg. A German Shepard, American Pit Bull Terrier (APBT) and Rottweiler were tested using a bite sleeve equipped with a specialized computer instrument. The APBT had the least amount of pressure of the 3 dogs tested. Wild dogs: 310 lbs Lions: 600 lbs White sharks: 600 lbs Hyenas: 1000 lbs Snapping turtles: 1000 lbs Crocodiles: 2500 lbs

-"Pit bulls" are born to be mean. Not True! "Pit bulls" like all other breeds, are not born inherently mean or bad! They can, like any other breed, become mean through lack of training, abuse, neglect and irresponsible ownership and breeding.

-Will a "pit bull" that shows aggression towards a dog, go after people next? No animal aggression and human aggression are 2 completely different things! There are many types of aggression in the canine world and they are all very different.

-"Pit bulls" attack more than any other breed. No, the statistical data on dog bites and attacks are inaccurate. Many dog bites are never reported. There is nothing in place to track dog bites in the US accurately. There are 25+ breeds that are commonly wrongly identified as "pit bulls", Those of us who have been involved with the breed for years have trouble identifying them 100% of the time, so, we certainly can’t expect inexperienced people to be able to properly ID a dog. That said, it leads us to believe that many of the bites that claim to be from "pit bulls" are in fact, inflicted by other breeds.

~Questions And Answers~

-Question: Are "pit bulls" good with children? Answer: Properly raised and socialized dogs are great with children! They are able to stand the rough and tumble play of a toddler. As with other big dogs, "pit bulls" can accidentally knock kids over during play, etc so they should always be supervised. Dogs of any breed should never be left alone with children.

-Question: Are "pit bulls" inherently dangerous to people? Answer: No! "Pit bulls" are no more inherently dangerous to people than other dog breeds. People often assume that "pit bulls" are human aggressive because they were bred to fight animals. This is simply not true! If that were the case then Irish Wolfhounds, Anatolian Shepard's, Great Pyrenees, etc should be considered dangerous to humans as well.

-Question: Why do we hear so many negative "pit bull" stories in the Media and are they true? Answer: There are a few things that contribute to the negative stories on the news. As often the case, negative stories always seem to get National coverage, where the positive stories only make the local news. The Media is not always very responsible with their stories! I have seen news reports of a dog attack by another breed and, yet the media had a picture of a "pit bull" on the TV while reporting this story. I’ve read many stories where the reporter obviously hadn’t done any research, when I asked about their statistics they choose not to reply.

Every 10 years or so a new breed of dog is victimized by irresponsible owners, breeders, bad media coverage, and now it’s the "pit bull’s" turn. In the 70’s it was the German Shepherd, the 80’s was the Doberman’s turn, the 90’s Rottweilers and "pit bulls" had all the bad press, and now it’s the "pit bull’s" time to suffer again. And, unfortunately, in a few years it will be another breed that will be in the spotlight.

-Question: Do "pit bulls" make good pets? Answer: Yes, but "pit bulls" are not for everyone, just like any other breed of dog. Research should be done on any breed prior to making a decision. The best place for responsible "pit bull" information is Pit Bull Rescue Central Pit Bull Rescue Central. The American Pit Bull Terrier was the #1 family dog in the US in the 20's, 40's, 50's and during first part of the 20th century. They are Loyal, loving, devoted, funny, and almost human like in their emotions and expressions!

"Pit bulls" bond very fast and very strongly to their humans and need to spend a lot of time with you. If you are not home a lot or plan on keeping the dog in the yard, etc, then a "pit bull" isn’t for you! "Pit bulls" are a dominant breed and require a strong pack leader who is always in control. Obedience and socialization is mandatory with this breed and should be with any breed.

These days alot of people choose to believe all of the crazy myths they have heard about "pit bulls" over the facts! Like any breed of dog, a healthy "pit bull" that is properly raised will remain loving and friendly. In the past 20 years, we have seen some sad examples of poorly bred and badly treated dogs that are by products of irresponsible "backyard breeders" and cruel and abusive homes. These improperly raised, unsocialized creatures can show temperaments far removed from the traditional authentic "pit bulls." Do not confuse these unfortunate misbreds with the HUGE majority of well-loved "pit bulls" in this country that remain solid in temperament, affectionate, trustworthy and friendly to their dying day.

My husband and I own two American Pit Bull Terriers and they are amazing! We have a 1 year 1 month old male named Brooklyn and a 5 month old female named Destiny. They have each been with us sinse they were 8 weeks old and they have both been properly raised, trained and socialized. They both love people.. adults and children and they are wonderful with other dogs! They absolutely love each other, they play wonderfully together all day everyday.. they even curl up together and take naps! lol! They have never even acted like they were going to get in a fight, but because their breed does tend to be dog aggressive we never leave them alone together.. just to be safe. I would suggest that you be careful though. Alot of horribel, irresponsible people do tend to get pits and they will abuse and neglect it, train it to be mean and fight or just not train and socialize it at all. If the dog has been properly raised, trained and socialized and has a good, responsible owner you shouldnt have anything to worry about! I wish you the best of luck with your new neighbors and their dog!

**I just read that someone said "pit bulls" have been known to attack for no reason.. That is not true! Dog aggression is nearly always preceded by some kind of warning, and there is always a reason behind the attack. However, many inexperienced owners do not recognize the dog's behavior as aggression, or refuse to acknowledge it as a warning sign. The only exception I can think of is Springer Rage, a rare and controversial neurological condition that manifests itself as a spontaneous attack, followed by confusion, and then a return to normal behavior. "Pit bulls" are NOT prone to this condition. There are individual dogs of any breed that may be more aggressive to others.**

Here is some interesting info on "pit bulls"...

-"Pit bulls" are known as nanny dogs for their love of children.

-For hundreds of years "pit bulls" have been bred to have a human friendly disposition and an overwhelming sense of need to please their owners.

-"Pit bulls" are currently used and suitable for all types of service work including drug detection, emergency rescue, service and therapy work, military service, and much more.

-The American Pit Bull Terrier (APBT) is additionally one of the most intelligent and easy to train breed of dogs. The trainer of the show dog Lassie has even remarked on how the Pit Bull is his choice of breed for training.

-The second Petey (Lucenay's Peter) from the Little Rascals was a UKC registered APBT, Lucenay's Peter. In 1936 he was cross registered with the AKC as a AMSTAFF.

-The WWI Poster dog was a "pit bull."

-Staffordshire Terrier, Sergeant Stubby was decorated WWII war hero. He sought out wounded soldiers and caught enemy snipers.

-Popcicle, the Number 1 US Customs dog is a rescued "pit bull", that was left to die in a freezer.

-During the 20's, 40's, 50's and the 1st part of the 20th century the American Pit Bull Terrier was the number 1 family dog.

-"Pit bulls" are the only dogs that have been on the cover of Life magazine 3 times.

Here are some pictures of our American Pit Bull Terriers.. Brooklyn and Destiny. You can see how well they get along!

Here are some good websites for "pit bull" info...
Bad Rap : Bay Area Doglovers Responsible About Pit bulls (http://www.badrap.org/rescue/index.cfm - broken link)
The Most Complete Pit Bull Website for Owners on the Web
Official Pit Bull Informational Site of Diane Jessup
The REAL Pit Bull - Info Center | Advocacy & Rescue | Education | Blog
Happy Pit Bull : Welcome
Pit Bull Fact vs. Legend

Last edited by PitBullMommie1206; 06-30-2007 at 08:37 PM..

Old 06-30-2007, 08:44 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,907,331 times
Excellent post PitBullMommie!!

Quote:

To answer your topic question, the answer is no.

To answer your second question...some are gentle, just like any other kind of dog, IF it is not mistreated, used, or abused.

If any kind of dog is showered with love, trained, socialized with people and other dogs/cats and not left unsupervised, I highly doubt they would have the tendency to show aggression.

When I moved recently, I made sure I introduced my APBT to my neighbors, their dogs and kids. If my neighbors were outside I would go for a walk with my dog and show that there is no reason to be afraid of her and put their fears to rest.

Many complimented me on how beautiful she is and how well behaved.
And not this "foaming-at-the-mouth", gnarly looking dog that wants to kill anything in it's path. ...<<<the latter misconceived notions are usually from people that have no clue and are ignorant to learn.

I totally disagree with "taking a bat, or shooting the dog" ...

Aussiegal, a suggestion for you along with any other rational person...
I'm, all about c o m m u n i ca t i o n....maybe as an idea you could approach the neighbor in a friendly way and express your concerns and ask any questions you may feel need to be addressed. Explain about what happened and how it made you feel.
Any responsible pet owner will listen and validate your concerns.

I think if more people would take that approach with neighbors, the world would be a much better place.

Last edited by citybythebay; 06-30-2007 at 08:46 PM.. Reason: Gave credit to PBM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs