Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2007, 04:02 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,669,912 times

Advertisements

GIG HARBOR, Wash. — Two pit bull terriers broke into a house through a pet door Tuesday and attacked a woman in her bed, mauling her badly, a Pierce County sheriff's spokesman said.

The woman was able to grab a gun and try to shoot the dogs, then break away from the attack and lock herself in her car, where she called 911, sheriff's spokesman Ed Troyer said.

The woman, who was not immediately identified, was taken to a hospital in Tacoma, where she was listed in serious condition.

Officers planned to talk to the dogs' owner.

The pit bulls also killed a neighbor's Jack Russell terrier, which entered the house during the attack, Troyer said.

FOXNews.com - Pit Bulls Break Into Washington Woman's Home and Maul Her - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 08:52 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,644,814 times
The dogs are probably not salveageable and need to be put down unfortunately....right after someone puts down the owners.

Old 08-22-2007, 08:53 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,429,576 times
Bad owners not having them under control. But how does a dog break into a house through a pet door ? Ive never seen them locked before. Surely they would have just entered, not broken in.

Old 08-22-2007, 09:09 AM

159 posts, read 356,013 times
Default Another example of not enforcing their existing laws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
The dogs are probably not salveageable and need to be put down unfortunately....right after someone puts down the owners.
My thoughts exactly!

I like how the article mentions that the dog had already attacked two people previously, but was not removed from the owner. Nor was the owner held accountable for the behavior of his dog or forced to comply with any specific conditions due to his dog's previous actions.

Maybe instead of passing all of this breed specific legislation (BSL), we need to pass some owner specific legislation. I don't know why it is such a difficult concept for politicians and other to understand that it the owners that are bad, not the dogs. Unfortunately, in many of these cases because of the bad owners the dogs have to be euthanized.

I was recently in Saint Paul MN and while in our hotel I came across the local government channel where they were talking about BSL. The city of Saint Paul had considered approaching the state to have the statewide ban on BSL lifted, but instead decided to strengthen the penalties for their existing ordinances, etc. They also enacted a few new owner specific ordinances as well, but none of them were dog or breed specific. I was absolutely amazed at what a good understanding they had about how the owners affect the dogs behavior and not necessarily the breed.

Why is it that Saint Paul is the minority? I think in most cities you would find if their animal control and police actually enforced their existing dog ordinances, they would stop a substantial amount of their problems. Instead the propose and implement BSL like it is some magical cure for all of their animal problems.

I wish I could remember where I saw the article, but they were saying that in many of the areas where they have enacted BSL that there is no significant reduction in dog bites or incidents compared to before the BSL. Shocking isn't it.

Sorry I got off on a tangent, but this just really fires me up.

Old 08-22-2007, 09:18 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,429,576 times
Quote:
Why is it that Saint Paul is the minority? I think in most cities you would find if their animal control and police actually enforced their existing dog ordinances, they would stop a substantial amount of their problems. Instead the propose and implement BSL like it is some magical cure for all of their animal problems.
You answered your own question there Im fighting BSL here and our Councilmember mentioned that she wanted to adopt strict ordinances from other towns but "make them more strict" and at the same time ive been town by the Chief and AC that they are snowed under with the current ordinances they have. Thankfully, 75% of the Council sees this and is actually wanting to set the standards for other towns and not follow like sheep.

Old 08-22-2007, 03:18 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,180,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
GIG HARBOR, Wash. — Two pit bull terriers broke into a house through a pet door Tuesday and attacked a woman in her bed, mauling her badly, a Pierce County sheriff's spokesman said.

The woman was able to grab a gun and try to shoot the dogs, then break away from the attack and lock herself in her car, where she called 911, sheriff's spokesman Ed Troyer said.

The woman, who was not immediately identified, was taken to a hospital in Tacoma, where she was listed in serious condition.

Officers planned to talk to the dogs' owner.

The pit bulls also killed a neighbor's Jack Russell terrier, which entered the house during the attack, Troyer said.

FOXNews.com - Pit Bulls Break Into Washington Woman's Home and Maul Her - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News
That's horrible! Obviously those dogs owners are morons! Why were those dogs people aggressive? All three of the "pit bull" breeds were bred to fight animals, not people! They are three of the only breeds that have been bred specifically to be amazingly human friendly! Why were they running around loose like that? No responsible owner would allow their dog to just run the streets! People like that should not own pets at all! The owner or owners better get punished for this!

You know what? I don't believe any of these stories that say a pit bull attacked someone or something! I'm not doubting that it happened and I'm not saying there is no way that a "pit bull" would do that, but obviously the reported hasn't done their research! If they had and these dogs were really "pit bulls", why not say they are APBTs, AmStaffs, Staffies or some kind of "pit bull" mix?!?
"PIT BULL" ISN'T A BREED! I'm soooo sick of the media!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs