Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 08:21 AM

3,412 posts, read 10,172,679 times

Advertisements

I think we should eliminate OWNERS of the breed. You know the old saying, It's never the DOG, it's always the OWNER!! Punish the deed not the breed.
It would be nice to pass a law to require a license to own a dog/OR a child for that matter.
Some people just never get it

Old 07-17-2007, 03:26 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,174,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
I think we should eliminate OWNERS of the breed. You know the old saying, It's never the DOG, it's always the OWNER!! Punish the deed not the breed.
It would be nice to pass a law to require a license to own a dog/OR a child for that matter.
Some people just never get it
I couldn't agree more!!! It's amazing to me how many people that know absolutely nothing about dogs, own dogs?! There are way too many ignorant, ill informed, easily influenced people in the world today! There needs to be some kind of class that people have to go through to own a dog and I think for certain breeds, like more dominate breeds and breeds that people tend to get just to abuse them, neglect them, train them to be mean and fight or just not train them at all, there should be like an advanced class! Just to make sure that people are willing and able to properly handle these dogs and give them what they need! I really think that would make such a difference!

Old 06-02-2008, 06:21 PM

3 posts, read 3,917 times
Thumbs up Pit Bulls are wonderful companions!!!!!

Hi Sweet Heart! Pit Bulls are awesome companions! They are Loving, Loyal, Incrediblt intelligent, Protective, and yes sometimes they have been known to be very deadly. That's because we as a society just have people who don't have the brains to raise such a wonderful friend. These morons want to use these talented animals for sport by teaching them to kill. I have seen these beautiful dogs mistreated, neglected, starved, beaten, fought, and mentaly ruined. You have people out there who should be charged with murder when these animals attack, because I can guarantee you that the animal is suffering some kind of abuse from the hands of their owners. I hate the fact that people just get these dogs for show or to fight them. Now because of these idiots We have entire cities, and Towns that are banning these animals when It's not their fault. If that pit bull came around making a scene, why was the owner not responsible enough to put the dog on a leash? See that's what I'm talking about. These animals require great responsibility. You have to start socializing them at a younger age than most breeds of dogs. Obedeance training is essential, and a must. Having an untrained pit bull in the hands of an irresponsible owner is not only dangerous, but should be outlawed! I will not just sell my pups to just anyone. I have to know the person, and I always keep in touch with the owners of my babies that went out. If I feel that my dogs aren't gonna be in excellent hands, you don't get one of my babies no matter how much you're willing to pay! God forbid I find out that the dog I sold is being used for fighting, or in a situation of a neglectful/abusive person. I will do my best to get the animal back into my care so I can evaluate the damage that's been done. If I feel the animal is ruined, then I have it put down, because I can't trust the poor thing to be safely put into another home where it might harm or maybe even kill someone. You should try to get to know you're neighboor, and the pit bulls over there. You need to see what kind of person owns those animals, and ask questions about the dogs. Ask if they've had them since they were babies, did they get them from a shelter, friend, or rescued them from a previous abuse situation. Some pit bulls can be 'fixed'with ALOT of love, patience, and determination. I rescued one of my pit bulls from a drug dealer. When I first got her she bit my son in the back of his leg, and had not even been in my care for 2 hours. I didn't punish her for it, and this is why. She hated kids. That's because when she was locked up in a kennel 24/7 the neighboor hood kids would throw fire crackers at her, beat on her with metal polls, and poke her with sticks. I tied her to my waist, and she stayed by my side every second of every day for as long as it took. It took me alot of work to get her to tolerate my children. Now she's the sweetest pit bull you will come across, and she lets every child come up to her without growling. My God Daughter even climbs all over her. You can turn a pit bull around if their not to far gone. once they hit that point of no return, then they have to be put down immediatly. Little Bit has become my best friend. She's so loving, and loyal to me. I love her with all my heart, and my kids love her. The reputation these poor animals have is not fair to them, because not all pit bulls are dangerous. The dangerous ones are the owners who teach them the wrong stuff, and I don't feel that it's fair to just single out just one breed of dogs from the breeding of stupidity of others actions. They only know what they're taught. you should really consider doing some research on these wonderful creatures, and not judge the whole breed of pit bulls just because of you're unfortunate run in with one. Mankind are the ones who breed hate, malice, and everything bad. The real crimes are the many unfortunate dogs who don't get that chance to live a life like other pets. Instead these dogs are feared due to the mental midgets who put into the dog all of their hate, greed, and stupidity in these animals. They do what they're taught-nothing more and nothing less. I truely and sincerely hope that you find it in your heart to look at these animals not as a threat, but as the dogs they are. Wonderful family pets. Check out the person who owns these dogs and get to know them to get a better understanding about the dogs. If the dogs are fierce then don't blame the dogs. blame your neighboor for her ignorance. Any animal can become a killing machine-any animal. It's better to educate yourself than to make such a quick judgement on something that you have no clue about. The dogs aren't born like this. If you have anything that you would like to know about these wonderful creatures then here is my email address. [mod]edit:removed personal email[/mod] I will answer as many of your questions that you may have, or I can point you in the right directions so you can learn more on the dogs. Take care and I hope you take the time to do the things I have suggested. Bye baby. may God bless and keep you. Hadassa.

Last edited by riveree; 06-02-2008 at 10:58 PM.. Reason: please use Direct Message feature...posting your personal email on a public forum is never a good idea

Old 06-02-2008, 06:45 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,228,371 times
yes - they are inherently dangerous - they are very muscular dogs, with strong jaws, a well formed jaw/teeth line and a high tolerance to pain

they are going to be inherently more dangerous than a little 5 pound purse dog

that doesn't mean they are going to be more aggressive though and that's where I think the issue gets complicated

from a reputable breeder, in a proper home, with proper training they are great, loyal, family pets - you may still have an odd dog with an off personality - but you will get that with any breed and it's the exception more than the rule

our friends just got a pit pup and the thing is sweet - however, mouthing as all pups will do is more eye opening than when my boxer does the same thing (which isn't a very small breed either) - the young pup was able to make a nice impression on my forearm while the boxer has trouble with the thickness of my hand - but that will be trained out of both as they age

if I had pits and no fence in the neighborhood i'd want to get to know both the owners & the dogs - see how they are, see how social they are and check for aggression - also let them know you are accepted

the reason you hear about pit attacks is that when something does go wrong they are strong enough to make it severe - cocker spaniels are nippy little dogs and can get aggressive, you never hear about it because it's not big damage

the real unfortunate thing is the jackass testosterone freaks who need to make up for their own shortcomings by owning a "tough" dog and raise pits to be mean and aggressive - hurting the image even further

Old 06-02-2008, 07:23 PM

439 posts, read 1,232,772 times
I have a pit and I remember when my 2 year old nephew was over, my nephew would pull on him tyring to pet him and rookie (my dog) didnt do anything but lick him. When my Nephew would venture to close to the street rookie would run and almost try to redirect him. I agree with everyone who said the are how the are raised. I know I would want another dog. One night we had some one walking around our yard, were talking 12:30ish and he is up barking at the door wanting a go at some one that shouldnt be there. I think they are the best dogs and GREAT guard dogs.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:11 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,465,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
yes - they are inherently dangerous - they are very muscular dogs, with strong jaws, a well formed jaw/teeth line and a high tolerance to pain

they are going to be inherently more dangerous than a little 5 pound purse dog

that doesn't mean they are going to be more aggressive though and that's where I think the issue gets complicated

from a reputable breeder, in a proper home, with proper training they are great, loyal, family pets - you may still have an odd dog with an off personality - but you will get that with any breed and it's the exception more than the rule

our friends just got a pit pup and the thing is sweet - however, mouthing as all pups will do is more eye opening than when my boxer does the same thing (which isn't a very small breed either) - the young pup was able to make a nice impression on my forearm while the boxer has trouble with the thickness of my hand - but that will be trained out of both as they age

if I had pits and no fence in the neighborhood i'd want to get to know both the owners & the dogs - see how they are, see how social they are and check for aggression - also let them know you are accepted

the reason you hear about pit attacks is that when something does go wrong they are strong enough to make it severe - cocker spaniels are nippy little dogs and can get aggressive, you never hear about it because it's not big damage

the real unfortunate thing is the jackass testosterone freaks who need to make up for their own shortcomings by owning a "tough" dog and raise pits to be mean and aggressive - hurting the image even further
I have to disagree with some of these points.

The term used "inherently dangerous" means they are absolutely unsafe to be around. I'm speaking of the definition of the words "inherent" and "dangerous"....I would not apply either of these terms to pit bulls.

While purchasing a puppy from a reputable breeder might increase your chances of a more sound pup, it does not negate the possibility of a sound dog from other sources - a rescue group, your city shelter/pound, a dog off the street, etc. This applies to any dog of course, but in the context of this thread I don't think anyone who wants a pit bull needs to exclude rescues, etc., just for fear that they might get an unstable dog. Each and every dog needs to be evaluated on his/her own merits.

Lastly, a Cocker Spaniel can do an incredible amount of damage, really any dog can under the right circumstances.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:16 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,416,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkman18 View Post
I would think if a dog that has been known to kill and hurt people for no reason is in your yard acting aggressively you should have the right to shoot it. These dogs have kill kids and adults that were in ther own yard and did nothing wrong. It is time to aliminate this breed,
Someone told me that once about black males between the ages of 14 and 40.

Seriously.

Your statement doesn't make sense anymore, does it?

Old 06-02-2008, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
I have to disagree with some of these points.

The term used "inherently dangerous" means they are absolutely unsafe to be around. I'm speaking of the definition of the words "inherent" and "dangerous"....I would not apply either of these terms to pit bulls.

While purchasing a puppy from a reputable breeder might increase your chances of a more sound pup, it does not negate the possibility of a sound dog from other sources - a rescue group, your city shelter/pound, a dog off the street, etc. This applies to any dog of course, but in the context of this thread I don't think anyone who wants a pit bull needs to exclude rescues, etc., just for fear that they might get an unstable dog. Each and every dog needs to be evaluated on his/her own merits.

Lastly, a Cocker Spaniel can do an incredible amount of damage, really any dog can under the right circumstances.
i hate to play semantics - but they are inherently dangerous - just like a car or anything else that by it's very nature can cause a great amount of damage - the way they are built you have to respect the power they can bring - this is true of any larger breed dog - i was walking my boxer the other day when some lady had her little dogs off leash and they came charging and barking - mine went to meet them and about ripped my arm out of my socket - i go a solid 6'5" 210 - no small breed dog will carry that much force - my uncles great dane also put me on my butt as it was running and playing in the yard and clipped the back of my legs - sweetest dog on the world, but you can never quit respecting the power that some animals bring

dogs are bred over decades and centuries for a purpose - it's naive to forget that is part of their characteristics

the fact is many fatalities come from these larger breed dogs - yes, a cocker or other small breed can cause harm to a child, but if one latched on to me I could fairly easy fight it off, kill it, etc - a pit i would have little chance against - my younger brother actually had our family golden turn on him as a teenager and cause some damage - more than a smaller dog ever could

i do agree that you can get really good animals from rescues, etc - however, there is a benefit to reputable breeders, with lineage, parents on site and knowledge of the breed so they can form habits from birth that you can then carry on - it's much easier to prevent a behavior from being learned than to untrain - there is no failsafe and no exact science - i really wanted to adopt a retired greyhound racer but my wife wouldn't go for it

good dogs can be found anywhere - just a comfort level thing

Old 06-03-2008, 12:02 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,465,931 times
I responded inside your post.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
i hate to play semantics - but they are inherently dangerous - just like a car or anything else that by it's very nature can cause a great amount of damage - the way they are built you have to respect the power they can bring - this is true of any larger breed dog - i was walking my boxer the other day when some lady had her little dogs off leash and they came charging and barking - mine went to meet them and about ripped my arm out of my socket - i go a solid 6'5" 210 - no small breed dog will carry that much force - my uncles great dane also put me on my butt as it was running and playing in the yard and clipped the back of my legs - sweetest dog on the world, but you can never quit respecting the power that some animals bring

They are dogs who have a likeliness to be dog-aggressive, but that's about it. That is built into their genetics. It does not mean all pit bulls will be dog aggressive, but many will and special care needs to be taken to account for that. Boxers get cancer, Greyhounds are skittish, all dog breed/types have some genetic characteristic that is "less than ideal".

So are pit bulls dangerous to other dogs? Maybe. There is a good likelihood they may cause damage to another dog.

Are pit bulls dangerous to humans? No, a resounding no.

Are unsocialized mistreated dogs - of any breed - dangerous to humans? Not necessarily, but they can be under the right circumstances.

dogs are bred over decades and centuries for a purpose - it's naive to forget that is part of their characteristics

the fact is many fatalities come from these larger breed dogs - yes, a cocker or other small breed can cause harm to a child, but if one latched on to me I could fairly easy fight it off, kill it, etc - a pit i would have little chance against - my younger brother actually had our family golden turn on him as a teenager and cause some damage - more than a smaller dog ever could

A pit bull isn't a larger breed, they are a medium sized dog.

A pit bull weighs 30-60lbs

A Cocker Spaniel weighs 15-30lbs

They are both medium-sized dogs. A Boxer is usually bigger than either of them. I realize that for the sake of fashion, many breeders have bred the size of their pit bulls up by bringing in other dog breeds, but a pit bull is not meant to be a large breed dog. Here in the South where I am, it is rare to see one of those big pit bulls like you see in the movies, they're usually the old style small to medium pit bulls here.

The way people speak of them, you'd think pit bulls weigh in at 300lbs or something!

i do agree that you can get really good animals from rescues, etc - however, there is a benefit to reputable breeders, with lineage, parents on site and knowledge of the breed so they can form habits from birth that you can then carry on - it's much easier to prevent a behavior from being learned than to untrain - there is no failsafe and no exact science - i really wanted to adopt a retired greyhound racer but my wife wouldn't go for it

good dogs can be found anywhere - just a comfort level thing

Old 06-03-2008, 12:35 AM

do you deny they carry more power, a stronger bite and a better natural frame for a strong attack than a cocker?!

i'm not speaking of aggession or if they are more likely to be aggressive - i don't think they are as a breed

i think all dogs have some level of danger built into them and that must be respected and trained against - some breeds (like large breeds/bully breeds) have a more natural ability to cause greater harm - not a knock against them, but something that owners should be aware of

i like the breed, having nothing against them and do not want to see rules/regs against them

i think issues facing them are issues at large (irresponsible owners, backyard breeders, improper training/environment/socialization) that all breeds encounter

i just also can't argue against the what the breed was bred as and the fact that their attacks tend to be a little more severe than a lot of other breeds - once again doesn't make them aggressive or bad, but something that people should respect
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs