Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Philadelphia or Boston?
Philadelphia 99 48.77%
Boston 104 51.23%
Voters: 203. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 01:19 PM
N69

75 posts, read 84,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
They draw lines based on commuter patterns, so therefore Mecer County is not Part of The Philly area no matter how close it is.
Lets be more generous and give Philadelphia a larger scope of influence, Boston can afford it.

Philadelphia, PA-NJ-DE-MD: $401.6 billion
Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton, PA-NJ: $28.5 billion
Lancaster, PA: $18.5 billion
Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington, PA-NJ-DE-MD Metro Area $335.1 billion
Reading, PA Metro Area $14.5 billion
Vineland-Millville-Bridgeton, NJ Metro Area $4.8 billion

Philadelphia, PA-NJ-DE-MD CSA: 6,533,683
Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton, PA-NJ: 821,173
Lancaster, PA: 519,445

Philadelphia totals: 7,874,301. FYI, new land area total = 9,140 square mile. Still smaller than Boston's economy yet slightly larger in population by 300K and comparable land area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 01:48 PM

14,022 posts, read 15,028,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post
It's called a mistake. Our federal government is known to make them every now and then.
Just saying, that stuff happens when your 90 miles from the #rd largest city in the Hemisphere.

Old 08-21-2011, 02:26 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,601,386 times
I think the splitting hairs of the CSA v. MSA population counts and GDP outputs really demonstrates the extremely even match between both cities and their urban areas, at least in terms of economic importance. We all have our biases, but the fact of the matter is the difference between these two areas is very negligible. What would make this even more complex is if the DC area were thrown the mix, although I'm inclined to think that, in terms of a CSA measure, DC would have to claim the #2 title for the Northeast.

Old 08-21-2011, 02:30 PM
N69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
I think the splitting hairs of the CSA v. MSA population counts and GDP outputs really demonstrates the extremely even match between both cities and their urban areas, at least in terms of economic importance. We all have our biases, but the fact of the matter is the difference between these two areas, in my eyes, is very negligible.
I would naturally agree with you, and it would be wise for Philadelphia to get commuter systems readied towards Allentown and Lancaster as it seems there's already enough interchange between those selected areas and Philadelphia itself.

Both of which seem to be growing "towards" Philadelphia. I would love to see both Allentown and Lancaster consumed by Philadelphia, it adds even more wealth, even more size, even more prominence, even more stature for a city with a limited scope of influence. 5,900 square miles is miniature compared to the sizes of Boston, Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston, New York, Dallas, Phoenix, Washington, and even the likes of middle sized cities such as Orlando, Nashville, and such.

Old 08-21-2011, 02:35 PM

1,335 posts, read 1,663,284 times
What Philly really needs is a new, chart-topping rapper to call its own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N69 View Post
I would naturally agree with you, and it would be wise for Philadelphia to get commuter systems readied towards Allentown and Lancaster as it seems there's already enough interchange between those selected areas and Philadelphia itself.

Both of which seem to be growing "towards" Philadelphia. I would love to see both Allentown and Lancaster consumed by Philadelphia, it adds even more wealth, even more size, even more prominence, even more stature for a city with a limited scope of influence. 5,900 square miles is miniature compared to the sizes of Boston, Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston, New York, Dallas, Phoenix, Washington, and even the likes of middle sized cities such as Orlando, Nashville, and such.

Old 08-21-2011, 02:36 PM
N69

Quote:
What Philly really needs is a new, chart-topping rapper to call its own.
I don't listen to Rap/Hip-Hop my friend.

Old 08-21-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N69 View Post

I agree with you completely. For being the 5th largest city in the US, Philly definitely does not extend its economic pull nearly as far as it could. Reinforcing the links between the Allentown, Lancaster and Reading areas I believe will come to fruition in the future, and enhanced transportation infrastructure will play a fundamental role in that trend.

Old 08-21-2011, 02:42 PM
N69

Quote:
I agree with you completely. For being the 5th largest city in the US, Philly definitely does not extend its economic reach nearly as far as it could. Reinforcing the links between the Allentown, Lancaster and Reading areas I believe will come to fruition in the future, and enhanced transportation infrastructure will play a fundamental role in that trend.
I respect Philadelphia, the city has offered a lot to the country and outside of this forum is most certainly a beautifully underrated city. Although I wouldn't live there, mainly due to a career choice and family relations not being there I can tell you that next to Washington and Baltimore, Philadelphia will be seeing immense growth in the future.

I believe it to be Allentown, PA-NJ to be the fastest growing metro in PA, good sign for Philadelphia to push its influence into a larger scope. Reading being as it is already merged with Philadelphia by CSA is on track and Lancaster soon to follow.

Another thing Philadelphia can do is put incentives or tax breaks for films to get more attention but then again, most Philadelphians I've met love where Philadelphia is headed now rather than to change it into a faux Los Angeles.

Old 08-21-2011, 02:46 PM

1,335 posts, read 1,663,284 times
I don't know what's going on with the southport expansion of the port of Philadelphia, as of last year it was going to be built right after the dredging is completed. The port of Philadelphia doesn't do enough business, relative to the freight rail resources in the region, I think the expansion could go a long way towards improving Philadelphia's economy.

Quote:
I agree with you completely. For being the 5th largest city in the US, Philly definitely does not extend its economic pull nearly as far as it could. Reinforcing the links between the Allentown, Lancaster and Reading areas I believe will come to fruition in the future, and enhanced transportation infrastructure will play a fundamental role in that trend.

Old 08-21-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:
I don't know what's going on with the southport expansion of the port of Philadelphia, as of last year it was going to be built right after the dredging is completed. The port of Philadelphia doesn't do enough business, relative to the freight rail resources in the region, I think the expansion could go a long way towards improving Philadelphia's economy.
Absolutely. I also heard of the port expansion as a result of the dredging project, but I'm unsure as to the outcome of that, particularly given current economic conditions.

As for rail, there's so much underutilized existing infrastructure here, it's kind of absurd. Many cities would die for the rail system that Southeastern PA has, and it was once world-renowned, but so much of it was abandoned with the popularization of automobile travel, trucking and air freight. Here's a cool map showing the extent of rail in PA at the turn of the 20th century:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ia_RR_1899.jpg

In light of all of the discussion of utilizing rail infrastructure again, if even a fraction of the defunct lines can be resurrected, it would be an enormous asset.

Last edited by Duderino; 08-21-2011 at 03:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City