Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Philadelphia or Boston?
Philadelphia 99 48.77%
Boston 104 51.23%
Voters: 203. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 05:50 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,395,915 times

Advertisements

One of the most important points to be made in this entire thread;

Miss USA titles:
Massachusetts (6.75 million): 2
Pennsylvania (12.8 million): 1
New England (14.7 million): 5
California (38.8 million): 6

BAM MF !!
/thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2016, 06:24 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,966,636 times
As a black professional who spent three years in Boston, I can tell you I did not find it to my liking. Black people are less than an afterthought in Boston. Boston is roughly 25% black, yet it has the reputation as being one of the whitest cities in the country. That's Boston's black population doesn't seem to have much in the way of identity or political power. When I left Boston, in 2011, the city didn't even have a single black radio station.

Old 03-26-2016, 07:23 PM

108 posts, read 134,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post
One of the most important points to be made in this entire thread;

Miss USA titles:
Massachusetts (6.75 million): 2
Pennsylvania (12.8 million): 1
New England (14.7 million): 5
California (38.8 million): 6

BAM MF !!
/thread

Speaking of New England, since now more than ever it functions as a single region, just become one ****ing state.

But it should only be Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New Hampshire and Maine.

Give Vermont back to Upstate NY and Connecticut is moreso part of the NYC metro than anything else.

You can call those the new state either New England or Massachusetts, and Providence, Portland and Boston are all in one state.

We (NY) get Burlington and Hartford.

Old 03-26-2016, 07:29 PM

108 posts, read 134,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
As a black professional who spent three years in Boston, I can tell you I did not find it to my liking. Black people are less than an afterthought in Boston. Boston is roughly 25% black, yet it has the reputation as being one of the whitest cities in the country. That's Boston's black population doesn't seem to have much in the way of identity or political power. When I left Boston, in 2011, the city didn't even have a single black radio station.

So there is at least some truth to what I was trying to say about it.

Thank you.

I would like to say, it's not so much of a Boston issue but an American issue, and I talked with ed in DM about it. We are certainly on the same page.

Philly nor Boston are by no means the standard of racial equality be it economic, social, political, educational, etc. but I do think that Philadelphia would be a better choice than Boston if you were black and deciding on which one to choose to live because AA culture is much more part of the city fabric.

Culturally speaking, Philly is definitely more (American) black, be it art, music, food, culture, etc.

West Indian, Boston would be a better choice.

And there is a subtle racism that is an undercurrent of New England as a whole that nobody talks about because nobody there wants to stir the pot. Not saying anywhere else is better, but when New England and Boston is held to the standard it is, the subject of race in the region is a huge misnomer.

My guess is that most African Americans would be more comfortable in cities like Atlanta, Washington, and Charlotte, etc. than the Boston's and the Seattle's and Portland's.

Old 03-26-2016, 07:47 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,395,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveMyFood View Post
Speaking of New England, since now more than ever it functions as a single region, just become one ****ing state.

But it should only be Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New Hampshire and Maine.

Give Vermont back to Upstate NY and Connecticut is moreso part of the NYC metro than anything else.

You can call those the new state either New England or Massachusetts, and Providence, Portland and Boston are all in one state.

We (NY) get Burlington and Hartford.
No, Vermont was settled by New Englanders.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/gener...w-england.html

As was CT. Additionally, the part of Connecticut that Miss USA was from is the eastern half of CT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City