Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Philadelphia or Boston?
Philadelphia 99 48.77%
Boston 104 51.23%
Voters: 203. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 08:27 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times

Advertisements

I think there are more songs about Philadelphia than Boston.

Here are a few that have just occurred to me:

-- Streets of Philadelphia - Bruce Springsteen
-- Sailing to Philadelphia - Mark Knopfler & James Taylor
-- Goodbye Philadelphia - Peter Cincotti
-- Philadelphia Freedom - Elton John
-- South Street - The Orlons
-- Another Fall In Philadelphia - Hall and Oates
-- Philadelphia - Neil Young
-- Motown Philly - Boyz To Men
-- Summertime - Will Smith
-- Philadelphia Songs - Denison Witmer
-- TSOP (The Sound Of Philadelphia) - MFSB

... can anyone add to my list?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 09:43 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,709,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post

very true

Old 08-22-2011, 06:03 AM

1,335 posts, read 1,662,717 times
"Long Time", "Game Theory" - The Roots
"I'm in a Philly Mood" Darryl Hall
"That Philly Thing" George Thorogood
"Spirit of 76" - Ween

Unofficially, Survivor - "Eye of the Tiger"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post

Old 08-22-2011, 09:51 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,460,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N69 View Post
Not even, Boston's output is significantly larger than that of Philadelphia.

Credit to 18Montclair for stats.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...s-product.html
I'm not really sold on the CSA thing...there are definitely connections to one another, but Providence and Boston are very much their own places.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:54 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I'm not really sold on the CSA thing...there are definitely connections to one another, but Providence and Boston are very much their own places.
True, but that doesnt stop billions of dollars in income earned from crossing metro borders--money that is earned in Boston and spent in Providence, and vice versa.

A connection that is so great that they are combined in a single statistical region.

So they are their own places, but they share a lot of money.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:01 AM

When I was growing up my mom commuted to Boston from Providence. The MBTA started running trains to PVD back in the 1980s. A decent number of Providence-Boston commuters also use the South Attleboro park and ride. Providence is a fun night out and sees its share of visitors from Boston, and the flip side is assuredly true, I used to go to Boston at least weekly for shopping and hanging out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
True, but that doesnt stop billions of dollars in income earned from crossing metro borders--money that is earned in Boston and spent in Providence, and vice versa.

A connection that is so great that they are combined in a single statistical region.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:13 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,460,829 times
Quote:

That's true.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:24 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:

And actually in most ways this has always been my point even on the connectivity of the Philly and NYC metros; held in isolation does not really take into account the connectivity, cross border flow, access etc. Nearly half of the Philly MSA population is within 45 minutes commute of major NY Metro job centers. The flow of people in both directions (especially in Jersey) is hardly impacted at all by the borders. One thing to remember is the area between Philly and NYC has as many jobs as all but 3 metros in the US even if it is contained within 2/3 metros. The drive time accross this area is one hour roughly. I just think these borders dont really account for what takes place in the real world. And on your comparison of the corrider between Boston and PVD, this area in Jersey would likely have 4 times the number of jobs that exist in the space between those two (Bos/PVD cities excluded) cities.

The area between NYC and Philly (Jersey corrider excluding the actual cities which includes 3 seperate or parts of 3 metros) is roughly the size of the bay area in population and a huge job center. It is hard to compare this area due to the concentration of people in a small distance.

Old 08-22-2011, 02:46 PM
N69

75 posts, read 84,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I'm pretty sold on the CSA thing. However its up to each individual to figure what they can accept or not. Some don't like CSA's but I mainly see those living in or around the CBD's of their cities arguing against it, another perspective would be from a commuter of Providence to Boston and in this case they come in masses. No pun intended.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:27 AM

Boston sports a GDP 15% higher than Philly. I'm not ready to call that 'significantly larger'.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, Philly vs. Boston CSA is one of the worst comparisons due to Boston's isolation and Philly's proximity to NYC. In reality (a place that does not exist according to some folks on this forum) Philly has an economy equal to Boston, likely larger. But that's in the real world. In the world where government statistics are infallible, Philly's CSA GDP is 15% lower than Boston's. No big deal.

Without Trenton/Mercer in Philly's CSA it will remain a patently false comparison. It should be noted that the Delware Valley Regional Planning Commission (DVRPC) still uses a modified definition of Philadelphia's CSA which included Trenton/Mercer. That's a clear sign that the U.S. government screwed up when they took trento/Mercer away from Philly's CSA. But then again, did they screw up?

From Wikipedia - "The Bureau of the Census does not always follow its rules where they may involve Federal employees. Mercer County, NJ, had historically been included in what had been known as the Philadelphia-Wilmington-Trenton, PA-NJ-DE-MD CMSA, because the commuting patterns are as strong between Mercer County and Philadelphia as they are between it and New York (historical trivia: Princeton University is located in the county precisely because it is halfway between the two cities) and most of the major metropolitan media that cover Trenton are located in Philadelphia, not NYC (the Philadelphia TV stations maintain Trenton bureaus but not the New York TV stations, for instance); Trenton was moved from one to the other not because of any major shift in commuting patterns but because the cost of living adjustment for Federal employees is higher for the New York CMSA than for the Philadelphia CMSA. (A similar case of the bureau not following its rules involves the CSA that should be called Baltimore-Washington but is called Washington-Baltimore, a clear violation of bureau policy that names multicentric CSAs and MSAs in declining order of central city populations; Baltimore is the bigger of the two.) The shift was made solely to give Federal employees working in Mercer County a pay raise without special legislation."

From the DVRPC website: "DVRPC is dedicated to uniting the region’s elected officials, planning professionals and the public with the common vision of making a great region even greater. Shaping the way we live, work and play, DVRPC builds consensus on improving transportation, promoting smart growth, protecting the environment, and enhancing the economy. We serve a diverse region of nine counties: Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Montgomery and Philadelphia in Pennsylvania; and Burlington, Camden, Gloucester and Mercer in New Jersey."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delawar...ing_Commission

Quote:
Originally Posted by N69 View Post
Not even, Boston's output is significantly larger than that of Philadelphia.

Credit to 18Montclair for stats.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...s-product.html

Last edited by Dub King; 08-23-2011 at 08:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City