Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Philadelphia or Boston?
Philadelphia 99 48.77%
Boston 104 51.23%
Voters: 203. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 10:12 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,709,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
Good things abouth Philly? Closer to DC and much cheaper. That's it.
Yea... you've obviously never been to Philly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
I'd much rather live in Boston than Philly.
Riiiight.. says the kid who lives in NYC AND Philly's playground.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:17 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sweetkisses* View Post
Yea... you've obviously never been to Philly.

I dunno, I love Philly but do find it is not a city for everyone, with all its improvements it is a little rough around the edges still and see where many people may not like it as much. Boston would come accross more polished or even a NYC (esp parts of Manhattan) for that matter, a little more disneyfied. There are good and bad aspects to that of course. Some of the edge to Philly are aspects I personally find endearing but I also believe that people not used to a denser urban environment could be more easily put off by Philly

Old 08-18-2011, 10:18 AM

1,335 posts, read 1,662,717 times
Wow, coming from somebody who lives in a city that can be charitably called a 'one trick pony' - riverwalk, Alamo & you're done. For me the best thing about San Antonio was leaving.

---OK lets look at that sentence. If you don't like it then wake up, that's how your post comes across.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
Good things abouth Philly? Closer to DC and much cheaper. That's it.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I dunno, I love Philly but do find it is not a city for everyone, with all its improvements it is a little rough around the edges still and see where many people may not like it as much. Boston would come accross more polished or even a NYC (esp parts of Manhattan) for that matter, a little more disneyfied. There are good and bad aspects to that of course. Some of the edge to Philly are aspects I personally find endearing but I also believe that people not used to a denser urban environment could be more easily put off by Philly
Well, people should keep negative comments to themselves. IMO

Old 08-18-2011, 10:31 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
at this point over 110 people have voted and they are both at about 55 so I think it is safe to say that they are tied.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:40 AM

My first few days living in center city, I was like a cat in a new home, carefully peeking around & nervous. I laugh at that now, seems such an alien frame of mind. Driving a car on a highway is more dangerous than living in the city IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post

Old 08-18-2011, 10:46 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,460,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post
Poring over the crime stats, I see nothing that recommends Boston over Philly. Unless one intends to move straight into the worst of Philly's ghettos, where the risk of being murdered is very high, crime rates between the two cities are not that far apart. Philly is 15-20% worse on a per-capita basis than Boston, and crime is the same per square mile. Theft is a statistical tie, and its the most common form of crime and the biggest nuisance of city living.

Philly's flash mobs made the news, but a bit of research reveals these incidents are occurring across the country. Philly just happens to have video of the perps, made arrests, and is discussing the problem openly.

In a telling statistic, assaults are also at the same (statistical) level, Boston vs. Philly. The idea that Boston is this 'safe' city and that Philly is unsafe is a pure fiction.

So just to reiterate - Philly matches Boston in many categories (number of college students, historical stuff), beats it in some (fine dining) and is beaten on others (mass transit). By many metrics Philly is the larger city and enjoys better proximity to NYC and DC, and is taking good advantage of that fact. This is what makes Philly #2 in the northeast after NYC.
Crime is definitely on Boston's side. On a statistical city proper level, they may have some similarities, but it's hard to just look at Boston as city proper-only. If you look at Boston, along with all of its inner burbs like Cambridge, Somerville, Chelsea, Brookline, etc. (if you've spent time in Boston, you know these burbs blend seamlessly into the urban fabric), there was something like 62 murders for a population of 1.6 million people.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:52 AM

That statement is exactly as true for Philly as it is for Boston. I'm very far from convinced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Crime is definitely on Boston's side. On a statistical city proper level, they may have some similarities, but it's hard to just look at Boston as city proper-only. If you look at Boston, along with all of its inner burbs like Cambridge, Somerville, Chelsea, Brookline, etc. (if you've spent time in Boston, you know these burbs blend seamlessly into the urban fabric), there was something like 62 murders for a population of 1.6 million people.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:59 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,460,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post
That statement is exactly as true for Philly as it is for Boston. I'm very far from convinced.
Hmm...well how about the fact that Boston is 48 square miles, and Philadelphia is 135? I'm simply talking about leveling out the playing field a bit. I know Philadelphia's Mainline burbs are gorgeous and very safe. However if you're going to say it's "exactly as true for Philly as it is for Boston", then you're also mistaken since you've got a little wort called Camden sitting across the river.

I hate bringing stuff like that up, because I love Philly...as I've said in other threads it's either my second or third favorite city in the country. However, one department where Philadelphia has a tough time is crime. I think even most from Philadelphia will agree with me here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City