Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Philadelphia or Boston?
Philadelphia 99 48.77%
Boston 104 51.23%
Voters: 203. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 11:31 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,568,606 times

Advertisements

Philadelphia's MSA is really only one full Maryland county away from the Baltimore-Washington metropolis and I have made it from Philadephia to DC or at least the Central part of PG County MD in 2 hrs flat. If you can make it to Downtown Baltimore in 1hr 20 mins from Philly, then it would only be another 40 mins or so to make it to DC on the B/W Parkway.

I've also made it from Exit 17 on the 495 Beltway in MD to the Lincoln Tunnel NY/NJ in roughly 3 hrs when driving at like 4 am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 12:06 AM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Philadelphia's MSA is really only one full Maryland county away from the Baltimore-Washington metropolis and I have made it from Philadephia to DC or at least the Central part of PG County MD in 2 hrs flat. If you can make it to Downtown Baltimore in 1hr 20 mins from Philly, then it would only be another 40 mins or so to make it to DC on the B/W Parkway.

I've also made it from Exit 17 on the 495 Beltway in MD to the Lincoln Tunnel NY/NJ in roughly 3 hrs when driving at like 4 am.
Actually the Philly MSA borders the Baltimore MSA with Cecil County, MD.

Old 08-18-2011, 04:26 AM

1,160 posts, read 2,960,897 times
Boston is definitely the more prominent city between the two. It is the educational capitol of the world, and is a global powerhouse in research and finance as well. Boston is also synonymous with affluence. It never experienced the level of economic and social decline that Philly experienced, so it's reputation doesn't have nearly as many blemishes as Philly's does. It's clean, safe, and highly regarded for its quality of life. It seems like most peoples only complaint about it is the winter weather, which is far less than the amount of complaints people have about Philly. Boston is definitely the more prominent and more respected city among the general population.

That being said, I actually prefer Philly. It has all the history, vibrancy, and architectural beauty that Boston has, but Philly is edgy, artistic, and exciting in a way that Boston just isn't. In terms of things that are most important to me such as the local music and arts scene, food scene, nightlife, access to outdoor recreation, and diversity, Philly beats Boston. It's also no slouch in education and it's economy isn't much smaller. I love Boston, it's one of my favorite US cities, but Philly is experiencing a great renaissance that has made it one of the most exciting and lively cities right now.

So, in terms of prominence and economic power in the Northeast:
1. NY
2. DC
3. Boston
4. Philly

In terms of the qualities that actually make a city a great place to be IMO:
1. NY
2. Philly
3. Boston
4. DC

Old 08-18-2011, 06:05 AM

1,335 posts, read 1,662,717 times
If only you could ride Acela on the monthly pass, but alas it only works on the Northeast Regional. Fortunately the ride time is only 12 extra minutes and there are many more regional trains than Acela express trains. I agree, riding Amtrak is a world apart from bus/driving/subway travel. It's comfortable, mostly quiet, and definitely laptop friendly. Current price is $1,250 and 10-packs of tickets are $525. Acela is $105-$120 each way, typically.

There are quite a few 'northeast regional' trains on AMTRAK that do the trip in 80 minutes (Acela is 70 minutes) for $49.00 that's what I usually choose to do. There's one of those at least once per hour.

... lol kidphilly, my last place cost that much (almost 3g/mo). Thank you, recession. Just gotta look, the good deals are not on craigslist or other renters websites. Gotta walk the streets, find some locations you like, call the number on the 'for rent' signs. Philly has so many great spaces for rent, especially in the summer. You probably won't find a good deal through a rental agency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
A monthly unlimited Acela pass between Philly and NYC is ~$1,100 ; two people in my office have them as they commute up on average 3 days a week. That is only (and yes I mean only) $51 dollars a day, all things considered for any commuters to NYC it isnt that much when tolls, gas, depreciation etc are added. Plus acela for the right job can be a virtual office for 2 ( 1 each way) hours a day.

Also Dub King - U must have the best priced 3 Bdrm in any decent neighborhood of CC that I know of, most are more than twice that price, and that doesnt even get u anything close to luxury

Last edited by Dub King; 08-18-2011 at 07:19 AM..

Old 08-18-2011, 06:57 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
Let me preface this by saying that I am from Boston and currently live in Boston.

That being said. I've never been to Philly but have always considered it to be the second city of the east coast because of it's size, history, and economy.

Conversely, I have always thought that Boston was a cool, smallish, provincial city with a history and contribution to this country that far outweighs it's size.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:05 AM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Let me preface this by saying that I am from Boston and currently live in Boston.

That being said. I've never been to Philly but have always considered it to be the second city of the east coast because of it's size, history, and economy.

Conversely, I have always thought that Boston was a cool, smallish, provincial city with a history and contribution to this country that far outweighs it's size.
By per capita, city, and csa Econnomy Boston is larger

Old 08-18-2011, 07:06 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,652,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post
If only you could ride Acela on the monthly pass, but alas it only works on the Northeast Regional. Fortunately the ride time is only 12 extra minutes and there are many more regional trains than Acela express trains. I agree, riding Amtrak is a world apart from bus/driving/subway travel. It's comfortable, mostly quiet, and definitely laptop friendly.
The part where you're actually riding in the train is nicer; but in the real world, I'd choose subway commuting (within reason) any day over commuting by amtrak or even regional rail. Really no comparison, as it's figurative apples & oranges.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:39 AM

I'm only talking occasional commuting, not daily. If someone got a full time job in Manhattan, they'd be a fool to continue living in Philly, that's obvious. They'd be made fun of and ultimately fail because New York is also about social networking in person.

I'll never work for a corporation, I'm self-employed for life so it's just not gonna happen, I am never going to be a 'commuter' in the traditional sense. I gave up my car a year after moving to Philly with no regrets, I'm in the best shape I've been in in many years thanks to walking & biking.

The connection between DC, Philly and NYC is the most intriguing stretch of rail in the nation. Even at slower speeds it saves considerable time, and because of tolls and parking costs, it is competitive with driving to NYC cost-wise.

I wouldn't want to make that trip daily, I know that's the point and I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
The part where you're actually riding in the train is nicer; but in the real world, I'd choose subway commuting (within reason) any day over commuting by amtrak or even regional rail. Really no comparison, as it's figurative apples & oranges.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:10 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,652,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post
I'm only talking occasional commuting, not daily. If someone got a full time job in Manhattan, they'd be a fool to continue living in Philly, that's obvious. They'd be made fun of and ultimately fail because New York is also about social networking in person.

I'll never work for a corporation, I'm self-employed for life so it's just not gonna happen, I am never going to be a 'commuter' in the traditional sense. I gave up my car a year after moving to Philly with no regrets, I'm in the best shape I've been in in many years thanks to walking & biking.

The connection between DC, Philly and NYC is the most intriguing stretch of rail in the nation. Even at slower speeds it saves considerable time, and because of tolls and parking costs, it is competitive with driving to NYC cost-wise.

I wouldn't want to make that trip daily, I know that's the point and I agree.
Actually, a main difference to me is that subway travel is just so much more 'informal' than Amtrak or even commuter rail. You show up when you want, any time of day, a train will come within a few minutes. You get off at a stop very close to whatever destination you want, or you make a side trip if you need to pick up something on the way. If there are delays, you change your route; if you forgot something at home, you just turn around and go back and get it, no big deal. You're not stuck on the train. To me it's almost like an extension of walking.
Taking Amtrak involves a substantial trip to get to the central station (unless you live extremely close, which isn't usual), making sure you're early, waiting in a line to be let onto the platform, riding on the train (the cool part), and then having to make another trip from your destination city central station to wherever it is you're specifically going. It's like a 'real trip', if you know what I mean. And you're really at the mercy of their schedule, and any delays and problems that may occur (and seem to occur at least 30% of the time in my experience).
I think Amtrak is more comparable to air travel than subway travel (and it compares very favorably to air travel, btw). I work for myself as well, and I love the easy 24/7 connectivity the subway gives me. The new trains are pretty nice, too.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:44 AM

Can't deny it, in NYC I can use the subway for 90% of my 'last mile' travels, in Philly it's gotta be a cab. In Philly, I use Zipcar for everything. I love these three words 'not my car' - because I had one stolen a couple years back, and I just called Zipcar, let them know the vehicle was stolen, and called myself a cab.

By the way, Zipcar came out of Boston so thank you, B. So much better than Philly Car Share (which just folded as a non-profit and sold itself to some car rental company).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
Actually, a main difference to me is that subway travel is just so much more 'informal' than Amtrak or even commuter rail. You show up when you want, any time of day, a train will come within a few minutes. You get off at a stop very close to whatever destination you want, or you make a side trip if you need to pick up something on the way. If there are delays, you change your route; if you forgot something at home, you just turn around and go back and get it, no big deal. You're not stuck on the train. To me it's almost like an extension of walking.
Taking Amtrak involves a substantial trip to get to the central station (unless you live extremely close, which isn't usual), making sure you're early, waiting in a line to be let onto the platform, riding on the train (the cool part), and then having to make another trip from your destination city central station to wherever it is you're specifically going. It's like a 'real trip', if you know what I mean. And you're really at the mercy of their schedule, and any delays and problems that may occur (and seem to occur at least 30% of the time in my experience).
I think Amtrak is more comparable to air travel than subway travel (and it compares very favorably to air travel, btw). I work for myself as well, and I love the easy 24/7 connectivity the subway gives me. The new trains are pretty nice, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City