Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Philadelphia or Boston?
Philadelphia 99 48.77%
Boston 104 51.23%
Voters: 203. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 08:25 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChunkyMonkey View Post
True, but Providence is so closely linked to Boston that the MBTA has commuter rail service to both downtown Providence and TF Green Airport. So, without a doubt, it is part of Boston's CSA.
As I said before, I totally agree that Providence is part of the Boston CSA...what I'm "not sold on" is using the CSA as a legitimate measurement of a city. I think the CSA is more involving the extended region rather than the actual city and the areas it directly influences.

I think MSA is a better measurement in this matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 08:42 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChunkyMonkey View Post
True, but Providence is so closely linked to Boston that the MBTA has commuter rail service to both downtown Providence and TF Green Airport. So, without a doubt, it is part of Boston's CSA.

Using that metric both Septa and NJT have regional (not talking Amtrak) service that crosses into the various MSAs/CSAs. I dont see that in any way being unique

Old 08-24-2011, 09:21 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Well by next Monday, Boston- Providence Coridor won't exist anymore, due to IRene so Philly wins.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:44 AM

1,335 posts, read 1,662,097 times
That sucker has Narraganset Bay in it's sight, going for a bulls-eye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Well by next Monday, Boston- Providence Coridor won't exist anymore, due to IRene so Philly wins.

Old 08-24-2011, 02:16 PM

77 posts, read 152,616 times
I haven't read all of the comments but I did read the Philly vs World thread and I agree with that. Philadelphia will be #2 in the US when the smoke clears.

Old 10-09-2011, 02:05 PM

2,347 posts, read 2,784,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
He's from Long beach there has never ever been riots in the La area, not counting the 2010, 2009, 2003 laker victory riots and the super deadly 1992 race riots.
I'm from Massachusetts. I just happen to inhabit California.

New England born and bred.

Old 10-10-2011, 02:40 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,252,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
Boston! of course.

It's metro has 7.5 million people and encompasses 3 states. This also makes it the 5th largest in the nation. The reason I'm using its CSA is because anyone who lives in Providence, Worcester or Manchester would tell you they live in Metro Boston. The region is beautifully tied together by the MBTA commuter system.

Boston is the defacto capital of the New England region. Meaning it can and does exert some influence over 15 million people and 6 states, and an economy of $800 billion.

It is one of the most 10 visited cities in the country. Fanueil Hall is among the top five most visited sited in the country.

It is the educational center of the world. Harvard, MIT, Suffolk, Northeastern, Brandeis, Tufts, Emerson. For centuries, Boston has shaped the minds of politician, poets, thinks, innovators, merchants. These people have then gone on to become presidents, etc. How many presidents have attended Harvard? According to the university, 7.

It is ranked among the 3rd largest/most important financial center in the US, 12th in the world. It is ranked the most innovative city in the nation and world.

This is just the stuff on paper.

Need I even go into its 400 year history...?
Excellent post. Boston is the Northeasts second city and New England's first. Boston is the larger metro and economy

Old 10-10-2011, 05:41 AM

PHILLY is the #2 city in the northeast but Boston is always trying to make that claim. The problem is that Boston is so far outside of the core of Megalopolis that they don't get to visit the other big cities often. Having nobody to compare themselves to but Providence, Boston residents start to believe that their city is the next biggest thing to NYC. That's been going on for decades. Makes me laugh nowadays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyman11 View Post
Excellent post. Boston is the Northeasts second city and New England's first. Boston is the larger metro and economy

Old 10-10-2011, 06:29 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,593,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post
PHILLY is the #2 city in the northeast but Boston is always trying to make that claim. The problem is that Boston is so far outside of the core of Megalopolis that they don't get to visit the other big cities often.
To be fair, I think the biggest point of contention here is going by either the MSA or CSA measure. In terms of MSA, Philadelphia has a decent edge, but the CSA measure does indeed put Boston out on top.

At any rate, I think this really comes down to splitting hairs; both areas are much closer together in importance than the next nearest rankings (#1 or #4) in the NE. Also, although the Boston area is a bookend of the NE Corridor, it is still very integrated. Both are very powerful metropolitan economies in one of the most powerful megapolitan regions in the world.

Old 10-10-2011, 06:32 AM

Here you are, the voice of reason. Yours is the perfect summary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
To be fair, I think the biggest point of contention here is going by either the MSA or CSA measure. In terms of MSA, Philadelphia has a decent edge, but the CSA measure does indeed put Boston out on top.

At any rate, I think this really comes down to splitting hairs; both areas are much closer together in importance than the next nearest rankings (#1 or #4) in the NE. Also, although the Boston area is a bookend of the NE Corridor, it is still very integrated. Both are very powerful metropolitan economies in one of the most powerful megapolitan regions in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City