Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2020, 07:30 AM

3,787 posts, read 6,998,241 times

Advertisements

There is a new subdivision going up, (again) here in Hutto. Looks like farmland, (used to be) but also had a small strip of what they call "woods" around here. (yes, I have nature bias) There is also a new trail next to it. I started walking it a couple months back when houses were just going up. The trail was lovely and no one else was using it, (nice). Lately I've seen and smelled jasmine and garlic! Saw where the jasmine was on an old cedar post fence and up a tree. The garlic was along the side of the trail. I've never seen wild garlic before. Not sure if jasmine is wild here or if it was part of a homestead area where someone planted it. Same with garlic. Wonderful to walk past it all. At one point there were these bright yellow wild flowers...an ocean of them. Breathtaking! Spectacular! It was absolutely beautiful and peaceful. A very small part of the trail is covered by tree growth...rare. I even saw a poppy. Where the heck did that come from?

Yesterday I went and saw three huge earth movers and a roller tilling up and flattening the soil so they can put more homes in side by side, on top of each other even closer to the trail. No more wild flowers, no more peace.
Made me want to cry.

I'm just glad I was able to experience it when I did before it becomes one more crowded, crap littered trail.
That area would have been perfect for a small nature preserve but preserving isn't something that is going on around here, sadly. You'd think it could have been marked preserve since it was so close to a small stream...another lovely sight.
I so miss the nature preserve back home, peaceful, quiet.

Last edited by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots; 05-01-2020 at 07:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2020, 09:52 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,624,789 times
Just got 1.3" of rain in the last couple hours. I did not think it was suppose to be that much, but will take it.

Old 05-12-2020, 06:51 PM

11,781 posts, read 7,992,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Just got 1.3" of rain in the last couple hours. I did not think it was suppose to be that much, but will take it.
It rained up here in Leander all day almost. Early this day we had a Tornado Watch and it came down pretty strong.

Old 05-12-2020, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
It rained up here in Leander all day almost. Early this day we had a Tornado Watch and it came down pretty strong.

Up to 3.08" for the day now at our rain guage.

Old 05-24-2020, 10:48 AM

For those into investing, look into Groupon, stocks seem to be increasing.

Old 06-01-2020, 08:16 AM

Unfortunately, I can't upload the video, but there was a ~4' long rat snake out on the dock by our boat this weekend. Totally unconcerned by us and just going about his business. He swam out behind the slip at one point and was actually quite striking in the sun - the gold in his pattern shone like it was on fire. Quite interesting, I don't think I had ever seen one in the bright sun.
Attached Thumbnails
Official Austin Chat Thread-20200530_141539-1-.jpg   Official Austin Chat Thread-20200530_141537-1-.jpg  

Old 06-01-2020, 08:25 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,330,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Unfortunately, I can't upload the video, but there was a ~4' long rat snake out on the dock by our boat this weekend. Totally unconcerned by us and just going about his business. He swam out behind the slip at one point and was actually quite striking in the sun - the gold in his pattern shone like it was on fire. Quite interesting, I don't think I had ever seen one in the bright sun.
Damned politicians are everywhere.

How was the lake? I miss our old Glastron ski boat, at least as far as zipping up & down Lake Austin & Travis, but not the maintenance.

Old 06-01-2020, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Damned politicians are everywhere.

How was the lake? I miss our old Glastron ski boat, at least as far as zipping up & down Lake Austin & Travis, but not the maintenance.
Hey, don't insult the poor snake! He was on rodent control and (judging by his size) doing a damn good job!

As for the lake, it was a perfect weekend - the air temperature was 90ish and the water was right around 79. The winds were light-to-moderate, so nice for the sailboats. Water clarity is currently outstanding - you can can easily see 10' down. The only negative was the number of boats on the lake, which kept it too rough for any really water sports. We anchored, though, and had a super pleasant day. By the time we left the cove ( 2 ish?), there were quite a few boats anchored there, maybe 30? I didn't count but it was easily more than I have seen in that cove in years. Navigating back to the dock required a cautious speed due to the number of boats under power and the chop due to the boats.

As an aside, the new rule that requires being connected to the dead man switch whenever you are going faster than headway speed is (imho) more dangerous than not being connected. It is easy to get it tangle on something and accidentally kill the engine, potentially at an inopportune time.

Old 06-06-2020, 11:00 PM

Welp. I had to return to Atlanta after the riots settled down and not even a full day of being here, someone broke into my car while I was eating... and no, I was nowhere near downtown or the areas where riots broke out.

Pretty pissed off. Glass everywhere and they even tried to hide what was left of my window under my car. I was looking forward to coming back to my hotel and getting some sleep as I havent had any since Thursday... Now I'm on the phone with Geico instead. I have to try to get it fixed before I can return to Austin.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 06-06-2020 at 11:34 PM..

Old 06-07-2020, 09:10 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,330,473 times
Man that absolutely sucks!

Hope you can get it fixed ASAP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin