Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 12:51 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,928,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Just my opinion, but anytime I read a paper or any kind of source where the editor or writer resorts to name calling, that paper or source just proved itself to be rock bottom. That's not a news source, it's a vent by somebody that is not real articulate with the English language. Personally, because of that, I wouldn't believe anything printed by them.
I concur!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 10:53 AM

1,872 posts, read 4,218,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
The schools systems in Wyoming are at least a decade ahead of Montana. Kids really do get a quality education most places in this state. Now I just wait and see if a job opens up in either of these towns.
Being a Wyoming native who was in the Billings area for 13 years before coming back to Wyo, I can personally attest to the positives about Wyoming schools. One thing that makes Wyoming schools better than Montana (in my opinion) is that the pay for teachers as well as the money put into school resources is much higher than in Montana, which would naturally attract better teachers or at least teachers who are more dedicated and feel they are being paid for their worth. Not saying that there are not those types of teachers in Montana, there are, but many more in Wyoming. When I moved my take home pay (teacher) almost doubled due to higher wage, no state income tax, no union dues, etc. That does put a spring in one's step and does make one feel like we are being appreciated for what we do. Wish I would have come back "home" years ago!

Old 01-12-2012, 10:56 AM

1,872 posts, read 4,218,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiainwyo View Post
Being a Wyoming native who was in the Billings area for 13 years before coming back to Wyo, I can personally attest to the positives about Wyoming schools. One thing that makes Wyoming schools better than Montana (in my opinion) is that the pay for teachers as well as the money put into school resources is much higher than in Montana, which would naturally attract better teachers or at least teachers who are more dedicated and feel they are being paid for their worth. Not saying that there are not those types of teachers in Montana, there are, but many more in Wyoming. When I moved my take home pay (teacher) almost doubled due to higher wage, no state income tax, no union dues, etc. That does put a spring in one's step and does make one feel like we are being appreciated for what we do. Wish I would have come back "home" years ago!
I forgot to mention that it's not all about money. It's just that it is a relief to be able to save some money, do more things, etc. than just get by paycheck to paycheck like we were in Montana. Not only did my pay increase A LOT, but my husband's also increased for the same type of job. I don't teach for the money, I teach because I love it and care about students. However, reality is that it does take money to live these days!

Old 08-11-2013, 08:25 PM

1 posts, read 2,468 times
Default moved to Powell

My family and I moved to a house on a country road just outside of Powell about 9 years ago. We are within sight of the West Water Tower and look up to the Big Horn mountains to the East and Heart Mountain to the west. We see spectacular sunsets and sunrises. My wife and I are retired transplants from upstate New York where the elevation is about 500 feet, the elevation in Powell is over 4300 feet, so if people have breathing problems this is something to consider. If you are outdoor folks as my family is then the mountains will just grab you and you won't want to leave. Your first purchase should be an ATV to ride on the thousands of miles of trails in the various mountain ranges here, then get it licensed and insured to ride on the state roads also. Anybody moving here planning on it being a big city atmosphere, may not be happy about their choice of location. Everybody waves when you meet on the highway especially if you drive a pickup truck. The men remove their hat when being introduced to a lady, but wear their hat when eating in the local dinners. The teenage boys will say hello and hold a door for all women.
The education is top notch, for the time being, but the COE education Federal situation is moving in. The state is primarily Republican but there is a bit of turmoil in the state capital. There will also be some interesting things happening on our Federal legislator level. Local politics are also things of interest. So if anybody moves from another state hoping to get away from politics, all you have to do is read the political headlines in your present newspaper, and change the town name to Powell, and you will see that you can not escape.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:04 AM

12 posts, read 26,534 times
Default Worland

My vote for the *best* of the four towns you are considering would have to go to Worland. My experience is that this community is full of good, down-to-earth people who are hard working, honest and trustworthy. Back in March 2013 I spent the night in a Worland motel and was so tired when I checked in (not that late - just a long day for me) that I forgot to lock the doors on my vehicle. In the morning I realized my mistake but low and behold not a thing was touched - expensive GPS, several firearms, computer....nothing at all was bothered. You can't say that for many towns. I have seen a lot of changes in population & attitude of both Cody and Sheridan. You mentioned not liking a pretentious town and therefore I would avoid Cody & Sheridan as places to live. I don't have a lot of personal experience with Powell.

Best of luck in your move!

Old 08-16-2013, 02:53 PM

774 posts, read 2,581,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk Country View Post
My vote for the *best* of the four towns you are considering would have to go to Worland. My experience is that this community is full of good, down-to-earth people who are hard working, honest and trustworthy. Back in March 2013 I spent the night in a Worland motel and was so tired when I checked in (not that late - just a long day for me) that I forgot to lock the doors on my vehicle. In the morning I realized my mistake but low and behold not a thing was touched - expensive GPS, several firearms, computer....nothing at all was bothered. You can't say that for many towns. I have seen a lot of changes in population & attitude of both Cody and Sheridan. You mentioned not liking a pretentious town and therefore I would avoid Cody & Sheridan as places to live. I don't have a lot of personal experience with Powell.

Well, I live in "pretentious" Cody and have never noticed any pretentiousness. Cody is also full of trustworthy people. I have many times, out of sheer stupidity on my part, left thousands of dollars of camera equipment in my car in parking lots in town. Lo and behold, they've always been there. A few months ago, we got back to my car after coming out of WalMart. My sister started to enter the car and realized she had dropped her iPhone when she got out of the car. It was still there - an hour later - right where she left it.

We came close to moving to Worland in 2009. I'd vote against Worland based on scenery and access to anything larger when needed. I'm not saying the people aren't hard-working, honest, and trustworthy. However, towns with those qualities can be found in nearly all of the 50 states.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:12 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,045,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk Country View Post

I lived in the other pretentious town. Tell me, did you come to that conclusion also after spending only ONE night in Sheridan? In the 15 years I lived there, I never locked my home, nor my vehicles. At home, the keys were always left in the ignition.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:57 PM

143 posts, read 265,485 times
In my limited experience with each... (most experience with Worland, then Cody, then Sheridan/Powell). I would rank them 1a Sheridan 1b Cody 1c Worland and 2 Powell. I don't think any of them are really that isolated. Worland is the most so but even then it has plenty of amenities and is a straight shot to Billings or Cody pretty much. It's in a great location to get into all the fun that the western slope of the Big Horns can offer. Worland seems to be one of the more underrated towns in Wyoming. Pretty much all of my experience there it exceeds my expectations, and is really a nice community that will grow on you.

Sheridan definitely feels by far the biggest of these towns, and Cody has a trendiness to it that the others don't.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:36 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,595,331 times
I've spent very little time in Worland or Sheridan areas so I'm not qualified to comment onnthose cities and environs.

Before I moved here I looked at several properties in the Powell area including a really enchanting place right on the river. The enchantment ended, however, when I went down into the basement. The smell of mold was overpowering. The reason I learned later is that Powell has a very high water table. It's not a place for folks who like basements.

Powell has a very pretty downtown area including a drug store with a soda fountain. But any real grocery shopping requires a trip to Cody.

Cody is where the stuff is whether that stuff be groceries or gun stores. Powell does have an award-winning local museum. It's worth the trip from Cody. But apart from the museum there doesn't seem to be much intellectual activity. A junior college doesn't count. Cody has a strong intellectual community; finding interesting conversation isn't difficult. I believe this is a result of a strong and vibrant group of educated and prosperous people who in th course of the last century have decided to call Cody home. But we don't get the sort of liberal lice who infest Jackson and have subjugated Colorado. I don't know the reason; perhaps liberals require world-class downhill skiing. But regardless of the reason we have few of them and those who do come don't seem to stay. The people here are the nicest people I've ever encountered in my life.

If you're conservative or libertarian, educated, and not ashamed to have accumulated some money come visit us. If you're a restauranteur specializing in any European cuisine PM me and I'll give you the grand tour. An inspired bakery owner would be another welcome addition.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:17 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,125,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I've spent very little time in Worland or Sheridan areas so I'm not qualified to comment onnthose cities and environs.

Before I moved here I looked at several properties in the Powell area including a really enchanting place right on the river. The enchantment ended, however, when I went down into the basement. The smell of mold was overpowering. The reason I learned later is that Powell has a very high water table. It's not a place for folks who like basements.

Powell has a very pretty downtown area including a drug store with a soda fountain. But any real grocery shopping requires a trip to Cody.

Cody is where the stuff is whether that stuff be groceries or gun stores. Powell does have an award-winning local museum. It's worth the trip from Cody. But apart from the museum there doesn't seem to be much intellectual activity. A junior college doesn't count. Cody has a strong intellectual community; finding interesting conversation isn't difficult. I believe this is a result of a strong and vibrant group of educated and prosperous people who in th course of the last century have decided to call Cody home. But we don't get the sort of liberal lice who infest Jackson and have subjugated Colorado. I don't know the reason; perhaps liberals require world-class downhill skiing. But regardless of the reason we have few of them and those who do come don't seem to stay. The people here are the nicest people I've ever encountered in my life.

If you're conservative or libertarian, educated, and not ashamed to have accumulated some money come visit us. If you're a restauranteur specializing in any European cuisine PM me and I'll give you the grand tour. An inspired bakery owner would be another welcome addition.
How long a drive is it from Powell to Cody?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming