Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 03:51 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,132,112 times

Advertisements

What makes Powell so special? Why do you.....like it so much? Does anyone have photos of the local college campus?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 05:10 PM

448 posts, read 1,199,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
What makes Powell so special? Why do you.....like it so much? Does anyone have photos of the local college campus?

For me, prolly just the thought of smple, friendly, essentially quiet town to land at after 50; not give up work but too live in peace at. Gonna visit 'fer sure; make an assessment of my thought process with Powell.

Thinkin' lower taxes than Oregon...........getting too many people here for my tastes. Taxes tend to go up with unbearable amount of folks around cause need more public services generally. Lotsa room in that area to support cheap and modest growth in the future.

Shhhhhhhhhhhh......don't give out the secret of my thought process here.

Old 10-07-2010, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin'toasquarestate View Post
For me, prolly just the thought of smple, friendly, essentially quiet town to land at after 50; not give up work but too live in peace at. Gonna visit 'fer sure; make an assessment of my thought process with Powell.

Thinkin' lower taxes than Oregon...........getting too many people here for my tastes. Taxes tend to go up with unbearable amount of folks around cause need more public services generally. Lotsa room in that area to support cheap and modest growth in the future.

Shhhhhhhhhhhh......don't give out the secret of my thought process here.
As you know, I visited Powell in 1959 and returned this past summer. I, too, like the idea of a small town, friendly, normal?! people, surrounded by agriculture with mountains in the background. I am just wondering about the winters there.... It is a Tree City USA and also an 'All American City'. I would also like to go back and stay a few days. I would probably fly into Billings, MT and rent a car.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:38 PM

[quote]=popcorn247;16180696]As you know, I visited Powell in 1959 and returned this past summer. I, too, like the idea of a small town, friendly, normal?! people, surrounded by agriculture with mountains in the background. I am just wondering about the winters there.... It is a Tree City USA and also an 'All American City'. I would also like to go back and stay a few days. I would probably fly into Billings, MT and rent a car.[/quote]

Decent idea if you live too far away...........we(family) always try to get in a good long road trip every year. This is gonna be the best for alotta reasons relevant tomy not too distant future!

Later.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 10-07-2010 at 07:03 PM..

Old 10-07-2010, 11:37 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Quote:
powell wyo + Northwestern community college - Google Search

Webcam :: Information :: Northwest College

Powell is not for everyone, but... a real supportive community spirit, not crowded or too popular (or overpriced), varied economy (tho limited), good services (The Merc!!), decent weather (for WY). Close enough to MT to escape if necessary.

Old 10-08-2010, 06:44 AM

215 posts, read 668,129 times
Having lived in three of the four towns on your list I would list them Sheridan, Powell, Cody and Worland. Having not lived in Worland but driven through many times and stayed there a couple I don't have a great idea of what it is like but I just never thought much of it as a place to live. I know it is often the hottest spot in Wyoming during the summer. Powell, I really liked as a small town with a active community college there. The winters were not bad at all, alot less snow than Sheridan and not nearly the wind that Cody has. Cody, I did not like at all, I spent 7 years there and between the tourist and the wind I was ready to get out. I was born and raised in Sheridan and I am prejudice on that subject. I do know that Sheridan is thought of as clickish community and I can see where that is probably true but I am very happy here.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
powell wyo + Northwestern community college - Google Search

Webcam :: Information :: Northwest College

Powell is not for everyone, but... a real supportive community spirit, not crowded or too popular (or overpriced), varied economy (tho limited), good services (The Merc!!), decent weather (for WY). Close enough to MT to escape if necessary.
That's all I need............simplicity!

Old 10-09-2010, 01:49 PM

Thumbs up Good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkb826 View Post
Having lived in three of the four towns on your list I would list them Sheridan, Powell, Cody and Worland. Having not lived in Worland but driven through many times and stayed there a couple I don't have a great idea of what it is like but I just never thought much of it as a place to live. I know it is often the hottest spot in Wyoming during the summer. Powell, I really liked as a small town with a active community college there. The winters were not bad at all, alot less snow than Sheridan and not nearly the wind that Cody has. Cody, I did not like at all, I spent 7 years there and between the tourist and the wind I was ready to get out. I was born and raised in Sheridan and I am prejudice on that subject. I do know that Sheridan is thought of as clickish community and I can see where that is probably true but I am very happy here.
Nice..........right size and hopefully my preminition is correct that Powell's generally a MYOB town of live/let live workin' folks; no need to be clickish or crap like that as bigger places in Wyoming are felt to be. Weather said to be less brutal in a few ways; good for me coming from an elevation of 650 ft. out here in S/W Oregon! We won't mind dressing up for winters over there however.

Keep the conversation comin',

Mike

Old 10-09-2010, 02:09 PM

Yeah, thanks for the links about Powell. I would still like someone who lives there to post there own photos of the campus. I loved the small homes - just the right size and the area had lots of shade trees.

Old 10-09-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Yeah, thanks for the links about Powell. I would still like someone who lives there to post there own photos of the campus. I loved the small homes - just the right size and the area had lots of shade trees.
Exactly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming