Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2014, 09:51 PM

6,355 posts, read 7,763,619 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the info, Rescue3. I've been to WY often enough, last time for several weeks this past December. I'm not fool enough to purchase something sight-unseen. If I purchase, it will because I like what I see.

Just like Dr. Dobson says about marriage ... keep both eyes wide open before you get married and both eyes half closed afterward. My eyes are wide open, (as it concerns the purchase of anything).
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 08:01 AM

6 posts, read 11,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto1958 View Post
I'm looking to semi-retire to Sheridan within the next year and I have found this thread to be very interesting.
Otto, there are other areas quite close to Sheridan that are great. A few miles can save lots of money and get you a rural setting. Buffalo, which is only 30 or so miles south is a real nice community. Anyplace along the foot hills between Sheridan and Buffalo and out to the east a few miles is also great. Personally, I like this whole area. I live a 100 miles or so east of there and have often thought this area would be great to retire to.

Old 03-06-2014, 01:19 PM

3 posts, read 5,878 times
I sure was glad to see this message thread! I'm trying to find a place to live in the Ten Sleep/Worland area... now I see my search area can expand a bit. Finances are tight, but hope to get out there by this summer (Juneish).
Any other tips anyone wants to throw out here will be appreciated!

Old 03-07-2014, 08:50 AM

1,872 posts, read 4,219,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEtHinTenSleep View Post
I sure was glad to see this message thread! I'm trying to find a place to live in the Ten Sleep/Worland area... now I see my search area can expand a bit. Finances are tight, but hope to get out there by this summer (Juneish).
Any other tips anyone wants to throw out here will be appreciated!
The Worland area properties are fairly low priced compared to a lot of Wyoming properties. Of course, the closer you get to the mountain (Tensleep) the prices go up. I was raised 20 miles from Worland. I would enjoy living at Tensleep, right at the foot of the mountains, but I don't think I would choose Worland. It just isn't one of my favorite towns.....not a lot there and in my opinion only, it is kind of a "yucky" town. But there are people who love living there and that is great I think the community, as far as the people, is a good, close-knit one.

Old 03-25-2014, 02:05 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,845,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Those " 'mom & pop' establishments" might better be called predator stores. They operate on the same philosophy as stores in city slums figuring that their customers have no choice. It's often true. We have only one left here as far as I know, a dry cleaning establishment but local gas stations seem to have some sort of arrangement. I wish that Walmart had gasoline and dry cleaning services.

The Sam's Clubs here in Ohio sell gas.

Old 03-26-2014, 02:06 PM

3 posts, read 5,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiainwyo View Post
The Worland area properties are fairly low priced compared to a lot of Wyoming properties. Of course, the closer you get to the mountain (Tensleep) the prices go up. I was raised 20 miles from Worland. I would enjoy living at Tensleep, right at the foot of the mountains, but I don't think I would choose Worland. It just isn't one of my favorite towns.....not a lot there and in my opinion only, it is kind of a "yucky" town. But there are people who love living there and that is great I think the community, as far as the people, is a good, close-knit one.
Thanks for the input Actually looking closer to Riverton, pricewise, now. Any ideas about there?
Met a guy on FB who lived Worland-- didn't have a positive feel about the place...

I really appreciate the feedback- I am currently in NH on the QC border. Would like to just quietly homestead. Currently raise our own produce, chickens (meat/eggs), and hand shear/wash/card/spin wool from a couple of 'pet' sheep.

Last edited by BEtHinTenSleep; 03-26-2014 at 02:14 PM..

Old 07-20-2016, 03:14 AM

83 posts, read 95,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Just my opinion, but anytime I read a paper or any kind of source where the editor or writer resorts to name calling, that paper or source just proved itself to be rock bottom. That's not a news source, it's a vent by somebody that is not real articulate with the English language. Personally, because of that, I wouldn't believe anything printed by them.
I really like to come across these previous ElkHunter posts . I'm truly sorry I never got the chance to meet him.

Old 03-27-2019, 09:01 PM

1 posts, read 804 times
We are about to make an offer on a house in Powell, moving from Oregon I hear about smokey skies from field burning and dusty summers. Is this a reality or limited to short periods of time? It’s almost April and while there today it was quite Smokey. Can someone who knows the area clue me in on how much of a concern this may be in our future if we move there?

Old 03-27-2019, 10:31 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,167,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Wolf View Post
We are about to make an offer on a house in Powell, moving from Oregon I hear about smokey skies from field burning and dusty summers. Is this a reality or limited to short periods of time? It’s almost April and while there today it was quite Smokey. Can someone who knows the area clue me in on how much of a concern this may be in our future if we move there?
burning is most likely to be done for irrigation ditches and to clear fields for planting, so it's a very limited activity.

"dusty" summers are pretty much the norm due to the prevailing dry humidity and winds that frequently present in the area. The dust comes from open fields, bare ground without much ground cover, and the pollens from trees and vegetation in the area. If you're near croplands, you may get dusty conditions from their field operations.

The big difference to the PNW is the low humidity and infrequent (and much less total annual) rainfall. Don't be surprised if your household requires frequent sweeping/vacuuming/damp mopping and frequent "dusting" to keep it as clean as you are acclimated to in Oregon.

Old 03-28-2019, 05:44 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,472,961 times
I would also expect to have times in mid-late summer when it gets dry and smoke from forest fires in the area. Powell is probably not the worst area for that in the Rockies but it's gonna occur. Happens in Oregon too so you might be used to that aspect. Something we see far, far less often in the VA mtns so it is new for us... some areas out there have fire smoke every summer we go out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming