Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2007, 07:57 PM

6 posts, read 47,127 times

Advertisements

Hi, looking to relocate to either Cody or Sheridan, coming from South Dakota...I know Sheridan has higher population, so probably more jobs, but what are your thoughts as to which city we could make a better living?

I work in clerical (hospital/cust serv/general business) and am not worried about being able to find work, however, my husband has been self employed home improvement/handyman for years. (tile, paint, roofing, siding, flooring, decks, etc). We have no kids...so do not care about schools.
We will rent...I know...hard to find, still looking...but wonder if hubby will be able to find work? We love the mountains, fishing, hiking, hunting, etc. I've been searching for WEEKS to try and make my final decision, so your input would be great. Oh...p.s...we are not rich, so will need reasonable rental. (under $600/mo or so)...what are your thoughts? THANKS ALL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 01:40 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,060,602 times
Under $600 for a rental will be stretching it, maybe a few out there but not many...

The lowest 1 bedroom house I have seen was $700 a month...

An apartment might be closer to your budget, but you would need to get on a waiting list probably...

Old 01-02-2008, 02:27 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,101,067 times
There are some availabilities in apartments. They don't advertise because vacancies are filled almost over night. If you plan on coming to Sheridan, plan on a "Pay by the week or Month" motel for a couple weeks. During that time, by checking each day, you can find a nice 1 or 2 bedroom apartment and stay under $600. But it's something you'll have to check, every day. They are there, just tough to find.

But as you get to know your way around the city, you'll find more and more apartments. Like I say, they don't advertise because generally, they are booked.

Once your into an apartment, you can now, leisurely look around.

Housing in Sheridan is damn hard to find. But it's there. Right spot, right time and you can get in there.

A Handyman type person that is versed in all kinds of construction can do well in this town. You'll find that 99% of your business is going to be "Word of Mouth". Good news travels fast in this town. Bad news travels faster. haha If your good, give a fair days work for a fair price and do a good job. You'll be turning away work in about 60 days. If your so so, you'll make a living, but don't plan on a new car anytime soon. If your shoddy, of iffy, you won't have a third job. You'll get one, possibly two, but that third one will be raking leaves.

Right now, the VA is looking for a receptionist. Greet people, send them to their appointments, and in between, do a little data entry. We have a wonderful hospital here and many medical clinics that specialize. i.e. OBGYN, Cancer, Sports medicin type things. Here's a couple of links. The first link is to the Wyoming Job market. It shows every job that is listed with the "Wyoming at Work" force. The second link is for all jobs with the state. Both sites will give you Job, Description, Pay, benifits, who, what where, everything you need to know.

One thing I suggest is that you use this to gain info. You have the ability to apply on-line. Don't use it. Use the info to contact places or send resume's. The "Apply on-line", is only picked up when they "get around to it." So use it to get phone numbers, addresses and ideas on what you want to do.

You can select a city, a region, or even a city and say "50 mile radius". However you want to look for jobs.

Good luck! I hope you find what your looking for. And I personally, in Sheridan, would like to welcome you as a neighbor.

https://www.wyomingatwork.com/

https://egov.state.wy.us/ThankYou.aspx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming