Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 06:43 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,230,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nm9stheham View Post
I would also expect to have times in mid-late summer when it gets dry and smoke from forest fires in the area. Powell is probably not the worst area for that in the Rockies but it's gonna occur. Happens in Oregon too so you might be used to that aspect. Something we see far, far less often in the VA mtns so it is new for us... some areas out there have fire smoke every summer we go out.
One problem in the west in the past few decades has been standing dead pine from the pine beetle. Another major problem, of course, has been the dry, hot summers of late. And then we have the lack of lumbering for various reasons, mostly political, such as the notorious spotted owl in western Oregon that pretty much shut down the timber industry in some areas out there.

For whatever reasons, western forests have turned into tinder boxes that seem to ignite more easily than in years past and send smoke downwind for hundreds of miles. Some areas are worse than others, of course, and some years are worse than others. You'd think maybe states on the west coast would be better off, but we like to spend a week or two camping in Oregon every couple years, and the smoke out there seems like the worst we encounter. Some people just plan on writing off a month of every summer as uninhabitable for outdoor recreation. That's pretty severe when we were already down to 3-4 months of summer use just due to normal weather.

Politics has worsened the problem, so politics could help it, but I don't see that happening. My guess is it's going to continue to worsen for another few decades until people across the nation recognize the problem for what it is and start to demand cures -- proper forestry to prevent these humongous fires or get them extinguished before they do so much damage.

In the east you have more rain to naturally help control forest fires. It just doesn't get that dry in VA. In the west we've got to do what Mother Nature doesn't do or just let them burn until there's no more fuel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2019, 11:00 AM

5,583 posts, read 5,009,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
The Sam's Clubs here in Ohio sell gas.

It's too bad they don't have any Costco's in Wyoming.

Old 03-29-2019, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiainwyo View Post
The Worland area properties are fairly low priced compared to a lot of Wyoming properties. Of course, the closer you get to the mountain (Tensleep) the prices go up. I was raised 20 miles from Worland. I would enjoy living at Tensleep, right at the foot of the mountains, but I don't think I would choose Worland. It just isn't one of my favorite towns.....not a lot there and in my opinion only, it is kind of a "yucky" town. But there are people who love living there and that is great I think the community, as far as the people, is a good, close-knit one.
Are the homes in the Worland, Greybull or Dubois area very old? Any newer residential homes from 2005 up?
What is the price ranges and ages of these home you mentioned?
Let's say for a 3 bd 2 bath 2-3 car garage 2,500+ sq ft with attached garage? As far as acreage goes up to 1acre or 5 acres MAX.

Old 03-29-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InWyo View Post
Otto, there are other areas quite close to Sheridan that are great. A few miles can save lots of money and get you a rural setting. Buffalo, which is only 30 or so miles south is a real nice community. Anyplace along the foot hills between Sheridan and Buffalo and out to the east a few miles is also great. Personally, I like this whole area. I live a 100 miles or so east of there and have often thought this area would be great to retire to.
I have heard a lot of positive things about Sheridan.
In an article I read some time ago, places like Cody, Sheridan and Lander had the lowest crime rates if I remember all of this correctly. Other than Sheridan's high population large in numbers, I figure if you live out on the outer boundaries you will get more space, privacy, peace and quiet.

I personally am so tired of city and suburban sprawl.
I feel like a sardine living in a can wherever I go I must wait in lines, spend time looking for parking, fight the crowds, traffic and congestion.

I currently reside in a subdivision in an unincorporated town that is suburb is 25,000+ and growing with more development coming in.
When I first came here 31 years ago we had a population of 5,500 people.
Now I must deal with teens and adults racing up and down the streets in their noisy cars, bikes and loud music with so much bass it shakes the windows in the house.
I must be careful leaving my own driveway in not getting hit by another vehicle.

I will know better when I finally come up there to Cody, and Sheridan to visit.
I need to get to a place with less people = less problems.
Even trying to get a doctor or dentist appt. (weeks out ahead here) you have to wait because we just have too many people here. Mind you I am a very patient person.
There will always be someone ahead of you.

I compare it to putting a bunch of lab rats in a cage watching them fight each, and get out of each others way because there is no room to breath and with limited resources as far as food, housing go because too many people puts too much of a strain on everything and everybody like too many fish in the tank and the water gets dirtier faster.

Everyone is fighting to get something which all creates a demand and drives up the cost of $$$$$ on everything.

Can't really go anywhere here anymore especially on weekends since the roads are gridlocked full of cars. During the commute hours forget it you might as well just stay home (if you have that option/luxury as some of us still must commute to work).

What would normally take 15 minutes could take 30 minutes to one hour+ and expect more if there is construction (as we have the worst torn up roads falling apart-worn out infrastructue) going on and collisions as we get a lot of collisions here.

Oh yes it's true, very true, Californians are crazy drivers always in a rush to get somewhere with one foot on the pedal and the other in the grave.
Don't even think about getting in their way with all the road rage we have, shootings and collisions here.

At least we now have a camera system to monitor the freeway shootings as those have also increased.

I was born and raised here and I have seen the changes-ALL DOWN HILL that get's worse as time goes on..

Old 03-29-2019, 12:01 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,167,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Are the homes in the Worland, Greybull or Dubois area very old? Any newer residential homes from 2005 up?
Let's say for a 3 bd 2 bath 2-3 car garage 2,500+ sq ft with attached garage? As far as acreage goes up to 1acre or 5 acres MAX.
Zillow web search, or "homes and land" regional magazine are your likely best resources to see what's on the market today.

ruling out manufactured housing, a "typical" 3 bd/2ba house of the size you're asking about could be anywhere from low $100's through $1/2 mil … or much higher in Dubois area.

You might want to break out this thread into two distinctly different searches … Dubois as one and the two other towns as another. The economics and historical development of them are quite different. Dubois has a history of being a low profile recreation secret of the old eastern money'ed set, although more recent subdivisions and development have made the area more accessible to the masses. OTOH, the bulk of the Worland and Greybull housing was developed as "working" man's towns. $1/2 mil in Worland and Greybull would have you writing your own ticket for very nice housing while $1/2 mil in Dubois might be a down payment for what you're seeking (newer, sizable housing).

Your acreage limit is somewhat unrealistic; ie, while there might be a newer/nicer home on a "city lot", larger homes such as you specify typically are on acreage. 10-40 acres might be a more realistic parcel, especially if you're seeking a newer residence. The towns mentioned rarely had the affluence or demand years ago to build large houses on city lots; it wouldn't be unusual to find 1,000 sq ft to 1,400 sq ft housing with 3 bd/1ba, which may have been upgraded to 1 1/2 or 2 ba in these towns.

Looking at your following post re congestion and wait times for access where you live now: bear in mind that while you won't have the traffic density/congestion to go places and do things here in Wyoming, you will have other trade-offs to deal with. For example, medical services may require an appointment some weeks out due to limited capacity of your closest providers and/or it may be that you'll have to make a trip of at least several hours to reach the medical services you need/want. Shopping and entertainment may be under the same constraints.

And for 5-6 months of the year, you may be dealing with inclement weather road conditions which can make access difficult, if not impossible to the things you want to do. There's a lot of "shut-down" during the winter months due to low economic activity … seasonal closures of businesses and recreational access, road closures including highways to the metro areas which have the goods/services you may wish to obtain when you'd planned on traveling, and so forth. Winter presents an entirely different way of life which requires foresight and preparation for survival and enjoyment of the area and it's attractions, with a realistic outlook on what and where you can do things. Planning on being housebound for a few days now and then in a rural area house isn't an unrealistic outlook and even in town, circumstances can suggest it may be prudent to stay home and watch the storm in process from the comfort of your prepared residence.

Of all the places in Wyoming you've mentioned, Sheridan would be my "top 'o the list", followed by Lander, then Cody. All have combinations of the virtues and limitations which are important factors in your quiet enjoyment and happiness to live here as a full time resident. Best to come out for extended visits and check 'em out … summer and winter, both seasons … before making any relocation decision. Good luck with your travels and decision.

Last edited by Yac; 11-30-2020 at 11:44 PM..

Old 03-29-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Zillow web search, or "homes and land" regional magazine are your likely best resources to see what's on the market today.

ruling out manufactured housing, a "typical" 3 bd/2ba house of the size you're asking about could be anywhere from low $100's through $1/2 mil … or much higher in Dubois area.

You might want to break out this thread into two distinctly different searches … Dubois as one and the two other towns as another. The economics and historical development of them are quite different. Dubois has a history of being a low profile recreation secret of the old eastern money'ed set, although more recent subdivisions and development have made the area more accessible to the masses. OTOH, the bulk of the Worland and Greybull housing was developed as "working" man's towns. $1/2 mil in Worland and Greybull would have you writing your own ticket for very nice housing while $1/2 mil in Dubois might be a down payment for what you're seeking (newer, sizable housing).

Your acreage limit is somewhat unrealistic; ie, while there might be a newer/nicer home on a "city lot", larger homes such as you specify typically are on acreage. 10-40 acres might be a more realistic parcel, especially if you're seeking a newer residence. The towns mentioned rarely had the affluence or demand years ago to build large houses on city lots; it wouldn't be unusual to find 1,000 sq ft to 1,400 sq ft housing with 3 bd/1ba, which may have been upgraded to 1 1/2 or 2 ba in these towns.

Whoa! I do subscribe to Zillow. So that's why I don't get many homes for sale. In the parameters I put down the age of house (no remanufactured houses or foreclosures just single family homes) and acreage/space along with price range in up to the $400,000 range.

Now in my Idaho search I get a lot more hits.
In Montana I get a few but with Wyoming I get the least amount of activity. I guess this explains it what you just mentioned.

Last edited by Yac; 11-30-2020 at 11:44 PM..

Old 03-29-2019, 12:49 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,472,961 times
Quote:
I am most familiar with Dubois so I hope can do a decent job on that one.

It is on the edge of the mountains, in a valley leading down from the west and the Teton, Yellowstone, Jackson area. That valley eventually widens out into the dry plains west of the Riverton/Lander area, north of the Wind River range. You are near the edge of the high grass and forest area, and merging into the drier lower areas. Right around Dubois there is a mix of badlands, high grass and forest areas, and some areas like level, dry plains So it has a lot more scenery variety in the immediate area than Worland or Greybull.

Dubois has a decent rural sized grocery store, a dollar store, a lumber/hardware store and at least one auto parts store. So you have most of the basics right there, just not any bigger shopping. 1.5 hours to a Walmart in Riverton. For big box stores, 3 hours east to Casper or 3+ hours west to Idaho Falls. Medical is fairly good in Jackson, which is about a 1.5 hour drive, on a highway that is kept clear in winter. Well as clear as you can keep a highway out there.... So Dubois is pretty rural and out by itself. Lots of places in WY/ID/MT like that!

Income is modest and a fair amount is tourist based; but tourism is not highly concentrated through Dubois like in Jackson or or Cody over in The Teton Valley. Local agriculture is modest. I would not call Dubois a rich town but it is not poor and rundown; it is not a regional trade center like Riverton. Just an old local town where a lot of railroad ties were cut up in the mountain forests in days past, and cattle were pastured in summer in the high grass areas, and that has continued on in time. I would less move there for job opportunities, and more to retire, or for a very quiet place to live.

Quite a variety of housing prices there as you can be down at Dubois proper or up on the mountainsides nearby. There are newer and older homes around and a variety of sizes from basic to moderate-sized 'western-luxury'; very few 'castles', not like Jackson WY. The prices vary pretty widely due to views, exact location, etc.

Here is one fairly nice home that seems to fit part your description in Dubois; down in the valley just west of Dubois proper. Only .52 acres and 1993 build date.
https://www.remax.com/realestatehome...002227968.html

Here is a simpler, newer house on the same street.
https://www.remax.com/realestatehome...324965531.html

Here one that is in a nice higher elevation area (nearly 8,000' elevation) a few miles out of town on a larger lot. 1995 build. Water supply here is reportedly very good. Garage detached.
https://www.remax.com/realestatehome...?lid=313281089

And here is a very, very nice home in that same higher elevation area:
https://www.remax.com/realestatehome...002227906.html

There are a few areas to be aware of IMHO: Union Pass has dramatic views in many places, but it is more a cabin-y type of area and a good water can be difficult to get; access is via a steep road with switchbacks so it is not for the faint-hearted. There is an area out to the west called Long creek that has winter access only via tracked vehicles.

Hope that helps!

Old 03-29-2019, 01:08 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,472,961 times
BTW, $1/2M in Dubois will buy you one of the best properties around.... you can get a very nice place in the $400-600k range; see what I posted above; I limited it to $600k max. I very much agree that Dubois is a very different place than Worland/Greybull. The latter are much more agricultural, with some gas-oil down around Worland.

IMHO, filters like house age are gonna gets you a lot more hits in Idaho, simply because the build activity there has been strong in recent years. WY just seems to plod along a low build level each year, outside of the few growing places. That is pretty typical of rural areas everywhere. I tend to not use age filters due to that, especially in small rural areas. I use Re-Max as a 'starter search' in an area because the presentation is easy for me to quickly glance over. If I get interested in anything, I usually go to the listing agent's site for that property.

BTW look into and learn about heating in WY/ID/MT. That is going to cost you a lot more there than near SF... a LOT more.

Old 03-29-2019, 03:15 PM

of the houses referenced above, I'd suggest that #2 is a manufactured structure.

Not trying to pick on that one, but the floor plan/overall layout is suggestive of the typical architecture with a long axis and interior walls upon that center line. Pretty typical, and a lot of times real estate agents here will not advise of the construction details and/or codes to which a house has been built. Buyer Beware if this is a concern ask and be sure.

As well, please note that Dubois is in a real estate pocket surrounded by Teton, Washakie, and Shoshone NF's and wilderness areas, with the Wind River Indian Reservation (one of the USA's largest) on the eastern side. These areas very much limit the area for residential development and are a driving factor in the exclusivity of property offerings in fee simple in the area.

In my experience with Dubois, it's very much a poorer area with a smatterings of high end recreational/seasonal properties. It's the type of rural town where many of the "best" jobs are gov't employment at lower levels for year round employment. The other jobs depend quite a bit upon the tourist traffic. Take a moment and look at the statistics of household incomes in town. IIRC, it's lower than the statewide averages or mean.

There's limited business opportunities there due to the seasonality of the tourist traffic. Dubois is a gateway town to YNP and much of the commerce shuts down once the entrance is closed for the season. Outdoor activity has a limited season, too, for the fishing and hunting of the area. Once hunting season ends and/or access slows down at the end of the season due to weather, activity in town drops to the minimal level of the locals supporting the businesses. By comparison, Lander has much better winter time access and recreational opportunities so supports a larger winter commerce.

As I've related on C-D threads in years past, my first trip to Dubois was a fly-in camping trip to the muni airstrip to check out the area. Much to my surprise, I rounded that last bend on final and spotted 2 Piper Malibu's on the ramp. At the time, they were a brand new, rare, and expensive GA airplane. To see 2 of them was quite the shock. Later in my stay, I inquired about some local cabins down on the river … and was shocked that they were in the mid $6-figure range, asked. Why? because Dubois has long been one of those "hidden" recreational get-aways from the old eastern money'ed set. For reference, I've got an 1880 published "Sportsman's Gazateer" and this area was touted as a premier USA hunting and fishing destination … accessed by the trans-continental railroad and then a long horseback trek to the area. These were major recreational trips that only a few of the era could take the time and resources to access. Kinda' like Pecos, NM, or a Grand Lake CO setting … these enclaves drive exclusivity and property values far above what they'd otherwise be for the area. Access to exceptional natural beauty, hunting and fishing is the key. To their credit, the touts and developers chose very well, it's a wonderland to visit … but not so much in the winter. Cold and windy are two apt descriptions of the place much of the time; living here is a triumph of survival more than an enjoyable experience at times. That can be said of a lot of places in Wyoming, but perhaps they offer other amenities which offset their detriments.

Personally, I wouldn't make Dubois WY my primary residence unless I had the time/resources to be able to readily travel away from there, had year 'round access to my residence, and an assured adequate year-round domestic water supply to my place … out of town. It's one of those places that ticks so many of the virtues of rural life in Wyoming, but it's a wee bit too isolated/remote and limiting for much of the year for me. It appears to me that at the population size that Dubois has remained for decades, that a lot of capable buyers have passed up this place for other options. Perhaps they see it in the same perspective as I do. YMMV.

PS: the really 'nice" places around Dubois that I've seen are in the $7-figure range. Site and location is as important a component of the asked price as the sq footage, trim levels, and amenities of these houses. When you're looking at houses in the Dubois area that have been in the market for $mid-6 figures for a long time, you need to be very careful about "why?" when it comes to the critical issues about the value/asked price. In their marketplace, one needs to be especially careful about the details of what you're buying in rural properties.

PPS: poster above has mentioned some realistic Dubois resident travel times for what many folk are the "routine" purchases for living in a rural Wyoming area. Are you prepared to deal with that as a normal component of living in this rural area? bear in mind that these aren't unusual or exceptional travel times/distances and needs/wants … and for some towns in Wyoming, this would be a very convenient access compared to what those folk deal with.

Last edited by sunsprit; 03-29-2019 at 04:07 PM..

Old 03-29-2019, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Whoa! I do subscribe to Zillow. So that's why I don't get many homes for sale. In the parameters I put down the age of house (no remanufactured houses or foreclosures just single family homes) and acreage/space along with price range in up to the $400,000 range.

Ah, that's "manufactured" houses, which range from mobile home standards to much higher levels.

Generally speaking, however, even the better quality ones sold around here are still not up to the standards of site built code compliant housing.

Now in my Idaho search I get a lot more hits.
In Montana I get a few but with Wyoming I get the least amount of activity. I guess this explains it what you just mentioned.
The relatively few newer houses in the marketplace here in these towns is typically a direct reflection of the economics of the towns and the local activities.

Just for grins, I've lately been eyeing a few houses on the market in Saratoga. Only a handful are recent or newly built. Everything else has been around for decades, at a minimum. Some very nice, some needing a lot of TLC. And some that should really be tear-downs, even though they are marketed as good structures and close to move-in, if not move-in already, condition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming