Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 12:43 PM

46 posts, read 134,385 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

My wife and I will be moving to the Great State of Wyoming the end of February and will be looking for a place to rent in Cody or Powell. An apartment would be OK but we’d really like to rent a house. Nothing big and booming, it’s just my wife and I… A 1 to 3 bedroom with 1 or 2 baths, preferably in the country, but in the country is not an absolute.

We are semi retired and my wife and I want to take a year or so to look around the Powell, Cody, Lovell, Worland and Thermopolis areas to decide where we want to buy. I have a bunch of information on these places but there is nothing like seeing them first hand and then taking time to find the land/home that’s “just right”!

If you guys know of anything and would not mind passing it along I would appreciate it. You’d get your standard commission of course… And no we do not have pets, although I do have a couple 8 x 10 glossies of buffalo, beef and bear! Oh and my wife has been known to call me “an animal”, but always with a smile. Hey honey, you’re smiling right? OK scratch the smile!

Thanks guys,

Harry

Last edited by harryglos; 12-31-2009 at 02:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 07:53 AM

304 posts, read 904,873 times
I grew up in Lovell, lived 6 years in Worland, folks live in Thermop, went to college in Powell and have family there and now live in Cody for 9 years.

1. Cody's housing will be the highest, followed by Powell, Thermop, Worland & Lovell. I think Powell and Cody are pretty close on home ownership, but Powell is less expensive to rent.

2. Cody is flooded with tourists in the summer and it gets old

3. Powell has a community college

4. Lovell has a predominant Mormon reputation, can grow old if your not LDS

5. Thermopolis has a very nice hot springs and fishing area, nice retirement community, not the best stores or eats though

6. Worland is agriculture and kids sports. I liked the community after a while, it was kinda hard to find a niche at first - but I enjoyed the people there

7. I prefer a hotter climate and kinda am miserable in Cody during the winter (there's a lot of wind here too), but our house is at the base of a mountain, so I never feel warmed up - even in summer! Worland is hotter in the summer and less wind. Thermop gets more snow, Worland is coldest town in the winter.

8. Most likely you will feel some isolation in each town - especially if you are coming from a larger city.

9. What is bringing you here?

Old 01-02-2010, 08:43 AM

63 posts, read 187,057 times
You might as well also look at Basin which is a town (county seat) of about 1200. Cheap housing a nice clean little town with not much else other than a WYDOT office, and the county government. Clean, safe, cheap, and a 9 hole golf course.

Old 01-02-2010, 03:33 PM

258 posts, read 1,000,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryglos View Post
Hey guys,

My wife and I will be moving to the Great State of Wyoming the end of February and will be looking for a place to rent in Cody or Powell. An apartment would be OK but we’d really like to rent a house. Nothing big and booming, it’s just my wife and I… A 1 to 3 bedroom with 1 or 2 baths, preferably in the country, but in the country is not an absolute.

We are semi retired and my wife and I want to take a year or so to look around the Powell, Cody, Lovell, Worland and Thermopolis areas to decide where we want to buy. I have a bunch of information on these places but there is nothing like seeing them first hand and then taking time to find the land/home that’s “just right”!

If you guys know of anything and would not mind passing it along I would appreciate it. You’d get your standard commission of course… And no we do not have pets, although I do have a couple 8 x 10 glossies of buffalo, beef and bear! Oh and my wife has been known to call me “an animal”, but always with a smile. Hey honey, you’re smiling right? OK scratch the smile!

Thanks guys,

Harry
Harry, I lived in Cody for several years and was, gasp, a Realtor. If you want to send me a private message, I may be able to direct you to some rental agents. I absolutely loved Cody and I don't think the uptick in residents in the summer will be a problem for you at all since you're coming from Florida. Congrats on moving to a great area of WY!

Old 01-04-2010, 09:32 AM

Hi folks and thanks so much for your response...

Darrow asked: 9. What is bringing you here?

An SUV! Always a smart guy right... My wife and I have been planning our move for the last 10 years. I'm in the database design and development business and although I do not plan to fully retire, I do plan to slow down a bit.

My wife and I are looking forward to looking around for the land we want. This will be our last home and checking out the different cities and countryside is something we're really looking forward to.

Obviously having a place to rent tops our agenda as we'll need a base camp, either furnished or unfurnished. We assume finding an apartment will not be a problem but as I said in my first post we would much rather rent a house. That said, are there apartment complexes in Cody and Powell you would recommend? It would be good to know that and maybe some have a web site we can check out.

Thanks again for you input it is very much appreciated.

Harry

Old 01-04-2010, 04:04 PM

1,393 posts, read 3,174,714 times
I've heard of snowbirds retiring to Florida and Arizona when they get older....what does one call folks going in the different direction??

Congrats..Wyoming's a great state!

Old 01-06-2010, 09:37 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,074,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggie Legs View Post
I've heard of snowbirds retiring to Florida and Arizona when they get older....what does one call folks going in the different direction??

Congrats..Wyoming's a great state!
Not sure what they are called, but believe it or not, we have more folks that retire here from down south, then we do people from here retiring down south. Other states are different. For instance, Sheridan has built several subdivisions that are folks from California, Nevada, Texas, Florida, etc. More so then what we have moving out.

My folks were snowbirds and my dad had a term for people that moved the opposite way and for the life of me I can't remember what he called them.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:17 PM

Quote:
I just called them smart! Elkhunter, I use to know the name as well and can't think of it either.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:41 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,074,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryglos View Post
I just called them smart! Elkhunter, I use to know the name as well and can't think of it either.
The SunBirds were the ones that moved opposite of the SnowBirds, but there was another name.....

Old 01-07-2010, 11:52 AM

1,872 posts, read 4,222,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouthead View Post
You might as well also look at Basin which is a town (county seat) of about 1200. Cheap housing a nice clean little town with not much else other than a WYDOT office, and the county government. Clean, safe, cheap, and a 9 hole golf course.
My home town! Nothing has really changed there in about 50 years! So if you want a place that is a nice little town that probably won't grow or change much, it's the place. I liked it there. Kind of dry & dusty in the summer, but not far from the Big Horns. Most of the big shopping for all of the Big Horn Basin is done in Billings, some in Casper. I lived in Thermop for 13 years and hated it there, although it was a good place to raise my kids. My daughter & hubby live in Cody and love it. They went to school their first 2 years in Powell & loved it there, too. He is from Lovell. When they first moved to Cody in May they rented a nice large 2 bedroom duplex for about $750/mo, not bad. They just bought a brand new home there for $185K, which is great for Cody. The downfall is that it's on a small lot. They rented from one of the officers at a bank there. I could find out more if you'd like more info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming